which kernel is best?

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the better question is which kernels are currently available to the nexus s 4g and what one is considered the best of those :p

That being said, I haven't the foggiest :p idea of what kernels to use. Personally a little overclock and a bln feature is good enough for me. I like the stock. Keep in mind this phone is already quite fast. I have only expierenced a slow down maybe once while loading a webpage that was quite complicated.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If you use smartass make sure you don't use profiles in setcpu or oc widget. Google smartass governor to see why I say that.

Also you can't control the voltages (under volt) on boot like I do unless you turn the kernel.img into a boot.img, then edit init.rc to use busybox with run parts. Then you need to write a shell script and put it in init.d so it can run on boot. You can then use that shell script to setup all kinds of things on boot

Last edited:

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I love how you think I know what your talking about right here...
Also you can't control the voltages (under volt) on boot like I do unless you turn the kernel.img into a boot.img, then edit init.rc to use busybox with run parts. Then you need to write a shell script and put it in init.d so it can run on boot. You can then use that shell script to setup all kinds of things on boot
....well I kinda do but now well enough to try it.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So I guess no one really answered the question... Which kernel is the best? Are there major advantages to using the one you referenced KS? Battery, performance, etc?? Thanks!!

Also - can anyone confirm that using Netarchy's kernel governed by smartass saves more battery than ondemand and setting a screen off profile??? Come on, there has to be someone out there who's trying this stuff? :)

Last edited:

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've ended up going back to stock kernel...

I have consistent HEAVY battery drain on any setting I use with the Netarchy kernel. I have tried reflashing it 4 times and nearly every setting imaginable. Maybe I am picky, but I like a phone to last over 12 hours on standby. Any insight on this would be helpful.

Reactions: belvedere

p00kienrayray

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Second that, hope someone chimes in on netarchy + battery life. Have flashed this kernel yet, but was looking forward to it strictly for battery life.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the kernel is the issue. Running CFS 12 here, 11 hours off the charger with light use (couple quick calls, few texts, tons of received emails but 5 sent, plenty of gtalk, plenty of tapatalk) and I'm sitting on 59% percent left ::shrugs::

Probably not what you want to hear but I leave GPS, and Bluetooth on all the time. I have 3 push email accounts, 2 with calendars synced, and 3 Widgets that poll for data every 60 minutes.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the kernel is the issue. Running CFS 12 here, 11 hours off the charger with light use (couple quick calls, few texts, tons of received emails but 5 sent, plenty of gtalk, plenty of tapatalk) and I'm sitting on 59% percent left ::shrugs::

Probably not what you want to hear but I leave GPS, and Bluetooth on all the time. I have 3 push email accounts, 2 with calendars synced, and 3 Widgets that poll for data every 60 minutes.

Here's the thing...I went out to eat for an hour and a half in a place where I had almost no signal with that kernel. I lost 40%. The next time I went there, I used stock and lost like 8%. I run about the same amount of stuff you do - or so it sounds. I don't have a bunch of weird apps running...in fact I don't have too many apps at all. So anyhow, what do you think it is then? I would like to know how I can use that kernel and keep the phone solid.

OldCoastie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
If I may ask a somewhat related question. What is the procedure to flash a new kernel? Is it the same as I used to root and add superuser? Please excuse me if this is really basic information, but I am new to Android, coming here from WM 6.5 on a Touch Pro 2. The terminology is killing me.

Thanks.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If I may ask a somewhat related question. What is the procedure to flash a new kernel? Is it the same as I used to root and add superuser? Please excuse me if this is really basic information, but I am new to Android, coming here from WM 6.5 on a Touch Pro 2. The terminology is killing me.

Thanks.

Questions, answers, information sharing ... that's why were all here :)

To flash a kernel you'd want to download the zip, place it on the SD card, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik (wipe dalvik is under advanced in CWM), then flash the zip. It's important to make sure you pick the right kernel for your phone, and also right kernel for whatever ROM for that phone. Also, if you wipe data, remember that completely wipes all personal info off the phone and resets it so just keep that in mind but it's not at all required for flashing a kernel.

Androidian is a unique language that doesn't happen over night but once you pick it up it's fairly natural. HERE IS A DICTIONARY which will provide some assistance in your journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCoastie

OldCoastie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to flash clockwork recovery again as I did not make it permanent. Should I rename install-recovery.sh before or after I re-flash clockwork recovery to make it stick?

Thanks.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I am going to have to flash clockwork recovery again as I did not make it permanent. Should I rename install-recovery.sh before or after I re-flash clockwork recovery to make it stick?

Thanks.

rename it before, then flash recovery, then flash kernel. In that order but don't forget to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the kernel. Will take you a total of 2 minutes, easy as pie :cool:

OldCoastie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much. I installed the kernel and all looks to be OK. Your estimate of installation time was somewhat on the lite side however. It took me the better part of four minutes. I will watch it for signs of excessive battery consumption, but so far, everything looks fine.

BTW, I went to the android dictionary you provided a link for to find out what a dalvik is. Wouldn't you know that it wasn't listed. Did a google search. Found a lot of links, many of which were incomprehensible.

Thanks again.