Exchanged my evo 3d

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 3d on launch but was not thrilled about the camera taking green pics and the phone did not hold signal. I decided on the nexus s and so far am not sure I'm to happy with my choice.

I hate the keyboard and on board speaker seems much quieter than the 3d.

I need root for wifi and am not sure it will be easy. So far I have had only HTC products and this is different for sure.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 3d on launch but was not thrilled about the camera taking green pics and the phone did not hold signal. I decided on the nexus s and so far am not sure I'm to happy with my choice.

I need root for wifi and am not sure it will be easy. So far I have had only HTC products and this is different for sure.

I can't understand not liking the keyboard. There are other options out there.

Better Keyboard
Swype
Swiftkey

You can get the HTC keyboard if you root. I use Swiftkey, I love it.

taguluchi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I looked at both the 3d and the ns4g ...I'm still rocking my of evolution...but I'm leaning towards the ns4g I think its nice all around phone

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You only need to root if you want free 4G tethering. But like was said above, WiFi and 3G hotspot tethering are out of the box features of the NS4G.

Regardless, why do you think rooting wouldn't be easy? You've done it before, no?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If you like HTC's keyboard its widely available and named HTC_ime. A quick google search will lead you right to it. Root access is not required to install or use this keyboard.

As was mentioned, wireless 3G hotspots is open on the NS4G. Root access is not required to use this feature.

The NS4G is a developers phone so obtaining root access is as easy as it gets on android phones. The EVO3D is not a developers phone, requires a root exploit, and a engineering bootloader. Last I checked (last week) permanent root was rumored to be coming soon but hadn't happened yet. I posted root instructions for the NS4G 2 days before it launched.

Armed with the proper info, kind of seems like a no brainier to go with the NS4G but I may be biased :)

P.S. This message was typed on my NS4G using the HTC_ime :p

Last edited:

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Great feedback. I used the uNrevoked for my EVO to root and that was it.

Having free wifi tether w/o root is a great selling point for me. I need to play with this phone, not use to not having sense but otherwise its not to bad. I am using the wifi to post this so its working obviously.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from evo and it was a big change for sure. I did like the htc keyboard and used it for a bit on nexus but after playing with better keyboard and the stock one, I really got used to stock gb and love it. If you are coming over just cause of poor signal on 3d you may be surprised that the signal on this sucks too. My evo had much better signal and you can do a quick search and see all of the signal complaints this phone has. Besides signal this phone rocks...size, weight, tether, NFC, fast, pure google, battery etc. If you get used to it I bet you will love it... I was a skeptic at first but I do now.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
IV noticed the poor signal. I miss my original evo but not the 3d so much. Other than Google wallet upon release, what can the RF chip be used for?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Having never really handled Android prior to buying my NS4G, I'm curious what the difference is between our version of Android and the 'Sense' version...or any of the other branded versions.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Nexus. My original plan was to try it out for 30 days and then return it and get the evo3d, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I do like the wifi hotspot, but I would root if it didnt have it. Also, you cant use 4g hotspot without rooting, so keep the 4g turned off when you are using the hotspot. I was actually shocked at how fast the 3g connection is though. Our server was taken offline at work last week, and my phone became the office internet. It was incredibly fast. The speakerphone does suck. But its not like I sit around jamming out with my phone. I can hear people, it does its main job well.

Another thing I really like is the new stuff always coming to the Nexus first. Netflix, Skype (ok, this was a day late), Google wallet. Its just cool that I dont ever have to wait for the newest stuff.

I wish I knew more about what is available after rooting. I havent explored that at all but I would like to. I just dont really know of the benefits and its not that straight-forward to figure out this stuff.

The boot up time is rediculously fast. It boots in about 15-20 seconds. Battery life is great. I dont have any signal issues that others seem to report...I am in a great Sprint area though. I am on the edge of a 4g area. I wish I could get the connection at home because 4g is a different world. I cant wait to try LTE someday. APPs. Man, there are a ton of great apps. I'm using the swype keyboard, its awesome. Blew an iphone users mind over the weekend (always nice). Its fast and responsive. It works great with Ford SYNC on my new car. This is just a great phone for me.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12