[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

For those of you that can't wait.

Taken from XDA (thanks and full credit to xyzulu and coolfrooddude for links and instructions)

Download file directly from Google (for the paranoid, like me)
http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip

Install instructions (use the file you downloaded above, not the one in the instructions)
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-nexus-s-android-233

At your own risk.

Latest from Engadget

Sprint announcement

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-s-4g-grj90-ota-might-be-coming-july-11

nexus-s-7-11-update.jpg

Last edited:

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Rumor] July 11th Update

If they wanted to cripple the tethering they would have done it before releasing the phone and Google wouldnt have allowed that anyway since it's a pure Google device. It doesn't even say Sprint anywhere on it.

So yeah, sure, they COULD technically, technology-ly cripple the tethering, but they won't.

corndog22cl

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Sounds great. Hopefully, this update fixes the 3G signal issue (for all those who experience 3G signal issues). If so, consider me, and probably a ton of other people, a happy campers(s).

IMO, Throw in a little 720p HD Recording update (hint, hint google) and then this phone would be perfect. :cool:

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I don't think I turned the video camera on once, even on accident, in the two weeks I've owned the phone. Is it any good?

corndog22cl

May 12, 2011
Visit site

I don't think I turned the video camera on once, even on accident, in the two weeks I've owned the phone. Is it any good?
IMO, the camera has taken some quality pics (not as good my old iPhone 4, but pretty good). The video is a bit too grainy for my taste. Seems like the camera should be able to do 720p video. I'm sure there's someone on this forum knows enough about the phone to know if its capable of doing this.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds great. Hopefully, this update fixes the 3G signal issue (for all those who experience 3G signal issues). If so, consider me, and probably a ton of other people, a happy campers(s).

Yup I don't care about 4G but it's great they're fixing it, just give me a decent connection so I don't get worse reception for voice calls where my old Moment worked fine. Obviously since it's not here none of us can comment on it. At least we're not being told we are holding it wrong.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

If they wanted to cripple the tethering they would have done it before releasing the phone and Google wouldnt have allowed that anyway since it's a pure Google device. It doesn't even say Sprint anywhere on it.

So yeah, sure, they COULD technically, technology-ly cripple the tethering, but they won't.

Just because it's a Google device doesn't mean you don't have to pay for tethering if Sprint wants you to.

It says right on the official Google Nexus S website that tethering may cost you so all Sprint has to do is ask, same for T-Mobile if they haven't done so already.

Tethering isn't a part of the "pure Google experience", it's just there as most smartphones do it. But it doesn't mean it'll be free forever. I wouldn't be surprised if this does make it so you have to pay.

"Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet.*

*Additional fees may apply based on carrier policy."

Tech Specs – Nexus S

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh well if you say so then yeah, all signs are obviously pointing to Google fixing reception issues and adding NFC functionality, all while Sprint quietly swoops in and demands tethering to be disabled.

It won't happen.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Oh well if you say so then yeah, all signs are obviously pointing to Google fixing reception issues and adding NFC functionality, all while Sprint quietly swoops in and demands tethering to be disabled.

It won't happen.

Don't say it won't happen because you have no idea what Sprint won't do. The fact is that they CAN do it if they wanted to.

Reactions: shibby

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Don't say it won't happen because you have no idea what Sprint won't do. The fact is that they CAN do it if they wanted to.
Yeah, even though I do not really use tethering, I do not want to loose the ability to use it if I need it - loosing tethering would really suck and be quite upsetting.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Saying the carrier could charge for it does not make it "not part of the google experience" google put it there to be part of the phone functionality, vis a vis ergo...