08-11-2011 12:38 PM
960 1234 ...
tools
    fantastic. I just got my nexus a week ago and already I get an update.

I haven't had any dropped calls but I have noticed a pretty weak WiFi signal.
    07-07-2011 09:36 AM
    Just because it's a Google device doesn't mean you don't have to pay for tethering if Sprint wants you to.

It says right on the official Google Nexus S website that tethering may cost you so all Sprint has to do is ask, same for T-Mobile if they haven't done so already.

Tethering isn't a part of the "pure Google experience", it's just there as most smartphones do it. But it doesn't mean it'll be free forever. I wouldn't be surprised if this does make it so you have to pay.

"Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
    Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet.*

*Additional fees may apply based on carrier policy."

Tech Specs – Nexus S
    Could this be a reference to plans that have a cap on data, not so much a loss of tethering?
    07-07-2011 09:40 AM
    yes yes yes!!! bout time lol
    07-07-2011 09:52 AM
    Don't say it won't happen because you have no idea what Sprint won't do. The fact is that they CAN do it if they wanted to.
    And they have plenty of flagship phones out right now and even better ones coming out. They didn't really NEED the NS4G to begin with and they easily could have passed on it in the beginning. Do you really think Google, of all companies, doesn't have a say in this? Sprint's not exactly in a position to be laying down the law.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything. I still say it won't happen.
    07-07-2011 09:58 AM
    Bout time!

From Archos With Love
    07-07-2011 10:20 AM
    The only thing about that image that is bugging me is the "5%, 25%, 25% and 100%" deal. Shouldn't that second 25% instead be 50 or 75?
    07-07-2011 10:29 AM
    The only thing about that image that is bugging me is the "5%, 25%, 25% and 100%" deal. Shouldn't that second 25% instead be 50 or 75?
    It means their rolling it out to 5% of users then 25% of the remaining users then the next 25% of users and then everyone who hasn't gotten it to make 100%
    07-07-2011 10:44 AM
    So how do OS updates show up? Do they appear like app update notifications?
    No, when the update becomes officially available you can "force download" it by going to Settings > About phone > Sprint system update (in my opinion this is likely to be a Sprint pushed phone patch rather than an OS update). This will force the phone to look for the update and if found allow you to download and install it then.

Or you can just wait for it to be pushed to your phone (likely a few days later) and a popup notice will be displayed on the main screen alerting you of the update and allowing for download and installation then. Your choice.

On a separate note, can we just stop with the tethering issue... this has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and there is nothing any of us can do about it if this update disables it. I for one could care less if it does as long as my reception problems (and other issues) are finally addressed. If free tethering is disabled and is an essential service for you, you can either pay for it or root your phone and install the appropriate app for that - after all, the Nexus is designed to be easly rooted,
    07-07-2011 11:16 AM
    So this DOES fix the 3G wireless and signal loss I presume plus updating the Volume?
    07-07-2011 11:19 AM
    It's about time. I really want to keep this phone, and hopefully these fixes should make me.
    07-07-2011 01:24 PM
    The night of the 10th I shall go stock everything by going back to all defaults. Try to keep updating all of the 11th, play with the new reception and hopefully click my heals with joy. I am on the edge of a 4g area and it would go in and out of connection at my house (I am upstairs). I am hoping this fix makes it so I can get a stable bar for the 4g. That would be so sick! Do the Sorta One Click Unroot and wait for the new ROMs to be created with the updates intertwined.

I can sit here and truthfully say that if this update fixes the reception issue, this is hands down the best phone on Sprint. I tried the Evo 3d. Its good, but not great. Lots of fluff.
    07-07-2011 02:07 PM
    Doubtful but i'd like to see a update to fix the nav volume while listening to other audio (ie; streaming radio app). The nav volume in this case is barely audiable. You turn off the secondary audio app (streaming radio) and nav returns to normal.

Again doubtful this will fix it.

Good to see the update come down the pipes. Anxious to be able to stick on 4G in my area.
    07-07-2011 02:52 PM
    I would be absolutely shocked if this update touched tethering. The reason I say that is, in order to stop tethering on the phone side it requires an edit of the framework to do profile verification. I doubt google would let that fly. The only other option would be server side packet sniffing in which case no phone update is required for them to do that, they could start now.

With that said, if they did edit the framework for profile verification with the intent of blocking native wireless tethering, time permitting I'd fix it. You would of course need to be rooted to flash my modified framework but I've done it before ... just ask the optimus s crowd
    07-07-2011 03:03 PM
    It's about time. I knew it would be coming though and didn't jump ship like some people. If you can't wait for an update straight from google you might as well switch phone OS.

Even better it's on my birthday. Happy birthday me, lol.

Will be nice to actually have decent wifi in the areas I don't get 3g. And as for 4g maybe this will solve the problem cause I couldn't get anything consistently going in Queens the last 3 days.

With the NFC update I wonder how long after wallet is coming.
    07-07-2011 03:35 PM
    With the NFC update I wonder how long after wallet is coming.
    Hopefully not too long. Love using my Nexus to pay for my coffee at Starbucks, it just makes me feel cool...

Google Wallet seems like an extension of this concept using the NFC rather than screen generated barcodes for payment. I could get used to it to!
    07-07-2011 04:16 PM
    You don't have to do anything prior to the update if you're rooted but running the stock rom, do you?
    07-07-2011 04:44 PM
    No, when the update becomes officially available you can "force download" it by going to Settings > About phone > Sprint system update (in my opinion this is likely to be a Sprint pushed phone patch rather than an OS update). This will force the phone to look for the update and if found allow you to download and install it then.

Or you can just wait for it to be pushed to your phone (likely a few days later) and a popup notice will be displayed on the main screen alerting you of the update and allowing for download and installation then. Your choice.

On a separate note, can we just stop with the tethering issue... this has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and there is nothing any of us can do about it if this update disables it. I for one could care less if it does as long as my reception problems (and other issues) are finally addressed. If free tethering is disabled and is an essential service for you, you can either pay for it or root your phone and install the appropriate app for that - after all, the Nexus is designed to be easly rooted,
    Seriously? Simply because tethering is a non issue for you does not make it a non issue for everyone. Wow, unbelievable narcasism. This is a forum for everyone, not just for you.
    07-07-2011 05:05 PM
    He was just saying it's kind of pointless to go back and forth on the issue because whether or not Sprint disables it is totally out of control. What we CAN control though is if they do disable it, we have ways of getting it back.

If he was purely being narcissistic, he wouldn't have offered up alternatives.
    07-07-2011 05:31 PM
    Seriously? Simply because tethering is a non issue for you does not make it a non issue for everyone. Wow, unbelievable narcasism. This is a forum for everyone, not just for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't wait for this update. Even if it does break tether, CM7 will be stable for the NS4G very soon so no worries
    07-07-2011 05:47 PM
    Sweet, I am probably going to switch to sprint soon, and I have been debating the evo 3D or this beast. The 3D is kind of pushing what I am able to spend, while the nexus seems to still be amazing in terms of hardware, plus it will get android updates ASAP. The only thing holding me back was the damn radios sucking. Well, this seems to have changed my mind .
    07-07-2011 05:49 PM
    Hopefully not too long. Love using my Nexus to pay for my coffee at Starbucks, it just makes me feel cool...

Google Wallet seems like an extension of this concept using the NFC rather than screen generated barcodes for payment. I could get used to it to!
    I'm sorry. I'm going to have jokingly make fun of you here, lol. I always see people coming in doing so with their iphones. I think its hilarious.

Card emulation is where it's at. Now THAT'S cool. Not some cheap trick with a bar code. Starbucks=Iphone user.
    07-07-2011 06:34 PM
    He was just saying it's kind of pointless to go back and forth on the issue because whether or not Sprint disables it is totally out of control. What we CAN control though is if they do disable it, we have ways of getting it back.

If he was purely being narcissistic, he wouldn't have offered up alternatives.
    OK, perhaps not "purely narcissitic," but enough to offend.
    07-07-2011 07:25 PM
    OK, perhaps not "purely narcissitic," but enough to offend.
    Or easily offended. lol.

Seriously. What he said is no where near how you describe it.

Free tethering. Cool. If it gets disabled. O well. Your not technically supposed to have it for free anyways. There really shouldn't be a need to discuss it. I use it here and there. But if they get rid of it I'm not going to cry. Just like everyone else shouldn't. If free really is what you want: see his post again for his kind suggestion which was not revolving around him.

Maybe if everyone stopped talking about it they would notice it less and not look for a way to disable it, lol.
    07-07-2011 07:32 PM
    Hes kinda right though. Every other post has been about tethering and there are several threads about it...
    07-07-2011 07:39 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't wait for this update. Even if it does break tether, CM7 will be stable for the NS4G very soon so no worries
    Really? You honestly felt the need to post a GIF of yourself on-line? Unbelievable.
    07-07-2011 07:40 PM
960 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD