08-11-2011 12:38 PM
960 12345 ...
tools
    OK OK I've laughed a couple times and cried a couple times but lets get back to, and stay on the topic at hand.

Thanks.
    07-07-2011 07:47 PM
    Hes kinda right though. Every other post has been about tethering and there are several threads about it...
    Perhaps because it is important to so many people - not everyone wants to root their phone - and since it is so important to so many people, there is no need to disparage him or those of us that truly care whether or not tethering would be affected.

One can easily make the same narcassistic statement in regards to the antenna. So far, thankfully, it seems to be working fine - should I now dismiss everyone who is talking about their antenna in here and in other threads? For me, free tethering was one of the reasons I selected this phone over the 3d and it is important to me and other people - it may not be important to you and others, but that in no way makes it less important to other people and they have as much right to this forum as you and others.
    07-07-2011 07:56 PM
    Perhaps because it is important to so many people - not everyone wants to root their phone - and since it is so important to so many people, there is no need to disparage him or those of us that truly care whether or not tethering would be affected.

One can easily make the same narcassistic statement in regards to the antenna. So far, thankfully, it seems to be working fine - should I now dismiss everyone who is talking about their antenna in here and in other threads? For me, free tethering was one of the reasons I selected this phone over the 3d and it is important to me and other people - it may not be important to you and others, but that in no way makes it less important to other people and they have as much right to this forum as you and others.
    the fact is that free tethering(whether the phone can or not) is not allowed by sprint. The contract says free tethering is prohibited. So if you chose that phone for that reason thats great. But you cant be mad that they disable something that they dont allow in the first place.
    07-07-2011 08:05 PM
    Let's just not worry about it until that day comes.

In the mean time, someone answer my question.

You don't have to do anything prior to the update if you're rooted but running the stock rom, do you?
    07-07-2011 08:08 PM
    Let's just not worry about it until that day comes.

In the mean time, someone answer my question.
    I think so. And I think all preinstalled apps no? Not that there are many but I know if I rooted I'd get rid of google earth. No idea why that's included and not removable.
    07-07-2011 08:14 PM
    Anyone notice the bullet for improved accuracy for signal accuracy? Still think 3g issue is a mind thing for everyone.

Lol
    07-07-2011 08:50 PM
    Anyone notice the bullet for improved accuracy for signal accuracy? Still think 3g issue is a mind thing for everyone.

Lol
    Yup. They're not saying they're fixing anything. Just adjusting the visual representation. Not the first phone this has been a "problem" on.
    07-07-2011 08:55 PM
    I'm sorry. I'm going to have jokingly make fun of you here, lol. I always see people coming in doing so with their iphones. I think its hilarious.

Card emulation is where it's at. Now THAT'S cool. Not some cheap trick with a bar code. Starbucks=Iphone user.
    LOL... Ok make fun of me, but I've never had an mePhone so I've never been able to do this before. At least let me think I am somewhat cool doing it...

NFC, now that is cool... I agree....
    07-07-2011 09:07 PM
    Seriously? Simply because tethering is a non issue for you does not make it a non issue for everyone. Wow, unbelievable narcasism. This is a forum for everyone, not just for you.
    I have no idea why you feel so insulted about my comment. If you care to read it I didn't say it was not important to some of you... agree is cool to have it... my point is that we can continue speculating if Sprint will disable it all we want, if they do there is not much we can do about it. The only thing you could do is reject the update, and that is of course your choice.

I don't care much if they disable it or not with this update since I don't use it too much, but most importantly, because is easy to restore it if they do.

As Chud said, lets wait and see if this happens or not. If it does, there will be a hack in no time for all that want to restore this function.

No need to get personal about any of this.
    07-07-2011 09:20 PM
    ...but I know if I rooted I'd get rid of google earth. No idea why that's included and not removable.
    I agree, no idea why Google Earth was included, for that matter the Books app. I know they are included because are made by Google and they are promoting their services. Is my opinion that manufacturers should not include any app that is free on the market; if they want to place it on RAM where you can make a choice to keep or delete is OK with me.

Lol
    Yes I did and it worries me... if they simply redo the signal scale and don't improve the radio reception it won't really make much difference. Let's hope is just not worded correctly.
    07-07-2011 09:33 PM
    the fact is that free tethering(whether the phone can or not) is not allowed by sprint. The contract says free tethering is prohibited. So if you chose that phone for that reason thats great. But you cant be mad that they disable something that they dont allow in the first place.
    Free teathering was listed by Sprint underneath the phone (as part of the description) at the Sprint Store. So, I along with others, can be upset.
    07-07-2011 09:37 PM
    I have no idea why you feel so insulted about my comment. If you care to read it I didn't say it was not important to some of you... agree is cool to have it... my point is that we can continue speculating if Sprint will disable it all we want, if they do there is not much we can do about it. The only thing you could do is reject the update, and that is of course your choice.

I don't care much if they disable it or not with this update since I don't use it too much, but most importantly, because is easy to restore it if they do.

As Chud said, lets wait and see if this happens or not. If it does, there will be a hack in no time for all that want to restore this function.

No need to get personal about any of this.
    Well, no worries, I just felt that your post was too dissmissive of others. I stand by what I wrote, tethering, while not important to you, is to others and we can all discuss what we want. There was no need to be so dissmisive of others in my opinion.

In the end, I do not know how to root and what the benefits/risks there are to rooting, so that is why I am more aprehensive than other, more experienced, Android users - and that is why I am concerned about this update.
    07-07-2011 09:44 PM
    Free teathering was listed by Sprint underneath the phone (as part of the description) at the Sprint Store. So, I along with others, can be upset.
    I didn't catch that when I got my Nexus, but if it is so, then we all may have a case for false advertisement against Sprint if they do disable this function.

Again we need to wait and see if in fact they disable this function come Monday.
    07-07-2011 09:46 PM
    In the end, I do not know how to root and what the benefits/risks there are to rooting, so that is why I am more aprehensive than other, more experienced, Android users - and that is why I am concerned about this update.
    I can understand that, I was quite lost about any type of hacking when I came to Android - used to program and hack away on Palm and WM for years. Rest assured that the Nexus - contrary to other current Android phones - is designed to be extremely easy to root and instructions are available on the ROM/Hack section of this board.

If you do decide to root just ask, that's what most of us are here for - to help new users with their questions so everyone can benefit. No hard feelings...
    Tenebrous likes this.
    07-07-2011 09:53 PM
    I had no idea that Google Earth was uninstallable. I'm rooted but the Uninstall button is still greyed out.

Program is huge too and I'm sure I'll use it as much as the desktop version. (never)
    07-07-2011 10:12 PM
    ^^^ All of the Google apps are free in the market. The phone wouldn't have anything on it if there were not already installed.
    07-07-2011 10:17 PM
    ^^^ All of the Google apps are free in the market. The phone wouldn't have anything on it if there were not already installed.
    Well that is not entirely correct. The core phone apps (i.e., SMS, dialer, contacts, etc) are not available on the market so those will need to be included on ROM. All the others I would argue should either be installed on RAM or allow the user to download them from the market if he use/need that app.

In any case, most of the apps that are baked into ROM (Goggles and to a greater extent others) are already old versions by the time the ROM is distributed to the end user or shortly after do to rapid development cycles. The day I bought my Nexus, there were already newer version on the market for Google Search, Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Books and GMail.

Despite everything, there is no denying the Nexus is cleaner that most others when it comes to bloatware. I am very happy with it and truly don't mind too much about any of those extra apps being there.
    07-07-2011 10:28 PM
    I had no idea that Google Earth was uninstallable. I'm rooted but the Uninstall button is still greyed out.

Program is huge too and I'm sure I'll use it as much as the desktop version. (never)
    If i recall correctly, its only maps that cant be removed, it is tied to other programs. Removing Earth should be no problem.
    07-07-2011 10:30 PM
    If i recall correctly, its only maps that cant be removed, it is tied to other programs. Removing Earth should be no problem.
    No you can't remove Google Earth (or Books) without rooting, is part of the ROM image on the Nexus S 4G.
    07-07-2011 10:35 PM
    Well that is not entirely correct. The core phone apps (i.e., SMS, dialer, contacts, etc) are not available on the market so those will need to be included on ROM. All the others I would argue should either be installed on RAM or allow the user to download them from the market if he use/need that app.

In any case, most of the apps that are baked into ROM (Goggles and to a greater extent others) are already old versions by the time the ROM is distributed to the end user or shortly after do to rapid development cycles. The day I bought my Nexus, there were already newer version on the market for Google Search, Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Books and GMail.

Despite everything, there is no denying the Nexus is cleaner that most others when it comes to bloatware. I am very happy with it and truly don't mind too much about any of those extra apps being there.
    So you would rather have the phone stripped down to just the dialer, contacts, etc...? I guess that would work. I actually thought that that's where smartphones were headed for a while. It would be interesting if they would just sell a shell of a phone with just one app installed; the market and let the consumer customize from the very beginning.
    07-07-2011 10:45 PM
    So if I'm only rooted, what would I do in order to remove programs like that?
    07-07-2011 10:48 PM
    What ere the benefits and risks (including downsides) to rooting? Any advantages to not rooting?
    07-07-2011 10:54 PM
    I haven't seen any downsides yet (besides a technically voided warranty), but I haven't gotten into changing ROMs or kernels. Some of the apps are only available on rooted devices, like the notification lights, screenshot takers and backeruppers.

4G wireless tethering is good.

You can do a lot really, which is why I keep holding off on going further than just rooting. I don't want to get into the slippery slope of customizing and customizing and customizing. Even though it's easy enough to go back to stock and undo everything, I just like to tinker and once I start I won't stop.
    07-07-2011 11:12 PM
    I have always been partial to stock myself. Noitification lights I thought required a custom kernal with root...
    07-08-2011 01:20 AM
    wasnt listed that way at a corporate store, trust me. if so then that store was using unapproved marketing material.
    07-08-2011 07:16 AM
960 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD