[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Rumor] July 11th Update

You don't have to do anything prior to the update if you're rooted but running the stock rom, do you?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

No, when the update becomes officially available you can "force download" it by going to Settings > About phone > Sprint system update (in my opinion this is likely to be a Sprint pushed phone patch rather than an OS update). This will force the phone to look for the update and if found allow you to download and install it then.

Or you can just wait for it to be pushed to your phone (likely a few days later) and a popup notice will be displayed on the main screen alerting you of the update and allowing for download and installation then. Your choice.

On a separate note, can we just stop with the tethering issue... this has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and there is nothing any of us can do about it if this update disables it. I for one could care less if it does as long as my reception problems (and other issues) are finally addressed. If free tethering is disabled and is an essential service for you, you can either pay for it or root your phone and install the appropriate app for that - after all, the Nexus is designed to be easly rooted,
Seriously? Simply because tethering is a non issue for you does not make it a non issue for everyone. Wow, unbelievable narcasism. This is a forum for everyone, not just for you.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

He was just saying it's kind of pointless to go back and forth on the issue because whether or not Sprint disables it is totally out of control. What we CAN control though is if they do disable it, we have ways of getting it back.

If he was purely being narcissistic, he wouldn't have offered up alternatives.

dylan11

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? Simply because tethering is a non issue for you does not make it a non issue for everyone. Wow, unbelievable narcasism. This is a forum for everyone, not just for you.

tumblr_ljjwttfyfv1qzjix8.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait for this update. Even if it does break tether, CM7 will be stable for the NS4G very soon so no worries :)

Irate Iguana

Boss Status
Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Sweet, I am probably going to switch to sprint soon, and I have been debating the evo 3D or this beast. The 3D is kind of pushing what I am able to spend, while the nexus seems to still be amazing in terms of hardware, plus it will get android updates ASAP. The only thing holding me back was the damn radios sucking. Well, this seems to have changed my mind :D.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Hopefully not too long. Love using my Nexus to pay for my coffee at Starbucks, it just makes me feel cool... :cool:

Google Wallet seems like an extension of this concept using the NFC rather than screen generated barcodes for payment. I could get used to it to!

I'm sorry. I'm going to have jokingly make fun of you here, lol. I always see people coming in doing so with their iphones. I think its hilarious.

Card emulation is where it's at. Now THAT'S cool. Not some cheap trick with a bar code. Starbucks=Iphone user.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

He was just saying it's kind of pointless to go back and forth on the issue because whether or not Sprint disables it is totally out of control. What we CAN control though is if they do disable it, we have ways of getting it back.

If he was purely being narcissistic, he wouldn't have offered up alternatives.

OK, perhaps not "purely narcissitic," but enough to offend.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

OK, perhaps not "purely narcissitic," but enough to offend.

Or easily offended. lol.

Seriously. What he said is no where near how you describe it.

Free tethering. Cool. If it gets disabled. O well. Your not technically supposed to have it for free anyways. There really shouldn't be a need to discuss it. I use it here and there. But if they get rid of it I'm not going to cry. Just like everyone else shouldn't. If free really is what you want: see his post again for his kind suggestion which was not revolving around him.

Maybe if everyone stopped talking about it they would notice it less and not look for a way to disable it, lol.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Hes kinda right though. Every other post has been about tethering and there are several threads about it...

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

tumblr_ljjwttfyfv1qzjix8.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't wait for this update. Even if it does break tether, CM7 will be stable for the NS4G very soon so no worries :)

Really? You honestly felt the need to post a GIF of yourself on-line? Unbelievable.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Hes kinda right though. Every other post has been about tethering and there are several threads about it...

Perhaps because it is important to so many people - not everyone wants to root their phone - and since it is so important to so many people, there is no need to disparage him or those of us that truly care whether or not tethering would be affected.

One can easily make the same narcassistic statement in regards to the antenna. So far, thankfully, it seems to be working fine - should I now dismiss everyone who is talking about their antenna in here and in other threads? For me, free tethering was one of the reasons I selected this phone over the 3d and it is important to me and other people - it may not be important to you and others, but that in no way makes it less important to other people and they have as much right to this forum as you and others.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps because it is important to so many people - not everyone wants to root their phone - and since it is so important to so many people, there is no need to disparage him or those of us that truly care whether or not tethering would be affected.

One can easily make the same narcassistic statement in regards to the antenna. So far, thankfully, it seems to be working fine - should I now dismiss everyone who is talking about their antenna in here and in other threads? For me, free tethering was one of the reasons I selected this phone over the 3d and it is important to me and other people - it may not be important to you and others, but that in no way makes it less important to other people and they have as much right to this forum as you and others.

the fact is that free tethering(whether the phone can or not) is not allowed by sprint. The contract says free tethering is prohibited. So if you chose that phone for that reason thats great. But you cant be mad that they disable something that they dont allow in the first place.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Let's just not worry about it until that day comes.

In the mean time, someone answer my question.

You don't have to do anything prior to the update if you're rooted but running the stock rom, do you?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Let's just not worry about it until that day comes.

In the mean time, someone answer my question.

I think so. And I think all preinstalled apps no? Not that there are many but I know if I rooted I'd get rid of google earth. No idea why that's included and not removable.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Anyone notice the bullet for improved accuracy for signal accuracy? Still think 3g issue is a mind thing for everyone.

Lol

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Anyone notice the bullet for improved accuracy for signal accuracy? Still think 3g issue is a mind thing for everyone.

Lol
Yup. They're not saying they're fixing anything. Just adjusting the visual representation. Not the first phone this has been a "problem" on.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm sorry. I'm going to have jokingly make fun of you here, lol. I always see people coming in doing so with their iphones. I think its hilarious.

Card emulation is where it's at. Now THAT'S cool. Not some cheap trick with a bar code. Starbucks=Iphone user.

LOL... Ok make fun of me, but I've never had an mePhone so I've never been able to do this before. At least let me think I am somewhat cool doing it... :D

NFC, now that is cool... I agree....

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I have no idea why you feel so insulted about my comment. If you care to read it I didn't say it was not important to some of you... agree is cool to have it... my point is that we can continue speculating if Sprint will disable it all we want, if they do there is not much we can do about it. The only thing you could do is reject the update, and that is of course your choice.

I don't care much if they disable it or not with this update since I don't use it too much, but most importantly, because is easy to restore it if they do.

As Chud said, lets wait and see if this happens or not. If it does, there will be a hack in no time for all that want to restore this function.

No need to get personal about any of this.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

...but I know if I rooted I'd get rid of google earth. No idea why that's included and not removable.

I agree, no idea why Google Earth was included, for that matter the Books app. I know they are included because are made by Google and they are promoting their services. Is my opinion that manufacturers should not include any app that is free on the market; if they want to place it on RAM where you can make a choice to keep or delete is OK with me.

Lol

Yes I did and it worries me... if they simply redo the signal scale and don't improve the radio reception it won't really make much difference. Let's hope is just not worded correctly.