[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
WAHHH AHHAAWAHH...

[ahem]There's no update! The end is near. Repent.

Seriously thoe. Being that this is the first update i've seen on sprint/android. When does this stuff usally drop? With the pre it was early morning to late evening.

It varies. My Evo picked up the gingerbread update a little after noon.

madeincanon

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Official Rumor] July 11th, now July 25th Update

Just because it comes out today doesn't mean everyone is going to get it today. As you might recall Sprint said everyone should have it within 3 weeks of it rolling out. Unless you plan on doing a manual install, you probably won't get it today.

Hopefully one out of the people that get it first will give the update.zip to the internet.

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Just because it comes out today doesn't mean everyone is going to get it today. As you might recall Sprint said everyone should have it within 3 weeks of it rolling out. Unless you plan on doing a manual install, you probably won't get it today.

Hopefully one out of the people that get it first will give the update.zip to the internet.
how would you go about uploading the update on here.................i think the first people to get update will be the first people who purchased the phone

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Why are the roll-outs staggered? With the Palm Pre, it was available all at once. Yeah there might have been initial hang ups on downloading the update for the first couple hours. But after that it was smooth sailing and was available to everyone same day. Whats the reason for Android's staggered?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Why are the roll-outs staggered? With the Palm Pre, it was available all at once. Yeah there might have been initial hang ups on downloading the update for the first couple hours. But after that it was smooth sailing and was available to everyone same day. Whats the reason for Android's staggered?

The reason is to not overload Google's servers with everyone downloading the update at the same time.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

I HEARD it's also got to do with managing the number of people affected if there was an issue with the update.
So, they roll out 5% of the updates and wait...no issues, roll out another 10, and so on.

If the update breaks something they are only pissing off 5% of people and that's a smaller number to manage a fix for.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I HEARD it's also got to do with managing the number of people affected if there was an issue with the update.
So, they roll out 5% of the updates and wait...no issues, roll out another 10, and so on.

If the update breaks something they are only pissing off 5% of people and that's a smaller number to manage a fix for.

That makes sense.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I personally think 3 weeks is a typo or a blatant mistake. Has any update for any device ever been rolled out over that long of time? I'm going to say a week to a week and a half tops. That is of course if everything goes smoothly.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I still don't know they don't do it the way Blackberry does updates. Plug in phone. Go to website. Use online update checker; or, desktop version. Check for updates. Update available. Install. Problem? Repeat process and downgrade.

Google. OTA: Takes 3 weeks. First roll out. 5% people with now ****ed up phones with no option to downgrade. And the Epic people who good 2.2 and were stuck with it couldn't update to the new build a few months later. Because you needed to come from 2.1. It's dumb process.

Jrags5

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Sprint just tweeted it will be pushed to customers over next 2 weeks with no manual download option. :(

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

I still don't know they don't do it the way Blackberry does updates. Plug in phone. Go to website. Use online update checker; or, desktop version. Check for updates. Update available. Install. Problem? Repeat process and downgrade.

Google. OTA: Takes 3 weeks. First roll out. 5% people with now ****ed up phones with no option to downgrade. And the Epic people who good 2.2 and were stuck with it couldn't update to the new build a few months later. Because you needed to come from 2.1. It's dumb process.

I would imagine they do it this way because the vast majority of Android users hardly ever plug their phones into a computer. The OTA method puts the update in your face and even if you dismiss it initially, eventually you'll click 'update'.

I think it's Samsung (doesn't apply in the case of the NS4G) that does actually have a program that you need to download and install to update...It's a piece of crap from everything I have heard.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine they do it this way because the vast majority of Android users hardly ever plug their phones into a computer. The OTA method puts the update in your face and even if you dismiss it initially, eventually you'll click 'update'.

I think it's Samsung (doesn't apply in the case of the NS4G) that does actually have a program that you need to download and install to update...It's a piece of crap from everything I have heard.

I still think at least the nexus should have the update checker on anroid.com. Also, still doing OTA for people who don't mind waiting; or, wouldn't think to.

I've said it before. Android is about choices. So why am I stuck with OTA, lol.

I wonder what I'll get first. The market or the update. Hmm.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

wow three weeks, so somebody goings to have an issue with it then it will be pulled and I bet it will be two months before we see it.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Will it just pop up as a notification? Will it just start downloading? How does Google's OTA work?

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

I still really doubt its coming today... You can only cry wolf so many times.

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Well looks like I won't be getting the update for probably another 2 weeks... this sucks.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

I still think at least the nexus should have the update checker on anroid.com. Also, still doing OTA for people who don't mind waiting; or, wouldn't think to.

I've said it before. Android is about choices. So why am I stuck with OTA, lol.

I wonder what I'll get first. The market or the update. Hmm.

Well the choice comes in when the first AC user who gets it grabs the update.zip file and posts it. If that takes more than a day or two I would be very surprised. Then it's just about manually updating your phone which is easy.

Just a guess here, I would imagine 3 weeks gets shorter if there aren't problems. Everyone builds buffers into their estimates when it comes to technology :)

And you can grab the vending.apk now and install the new market. That's been around for weeks.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Well the choice comes in when the first AC user who gets it grabs the update.zip file and posts it. If that takes more than a day or two I would be very surprised. Then it's just about manually updating your phone which is easy.

Just a guess here, I would imagine 3 weeks gets shorter if there aren't problems. Everyone builds buffers into their estimates when it comes to technology :)

And you can grab the vending.apk now and install the new market. That's been around for weeks.

Whats the process of doing the manual update.zip? Is it similar to installing the root package steps?

Recovery Mode etc? A webOS user here, so this will be the first update :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie