08-11-2011 12:38 PM
960 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    just tested to make sure I can still use easy teather and that is good.
    07-25-2011 08:49 PM
    WTF?! This is supposed to be a pure Google device, a flagship device. How could they let help (google wrote/hosted the code) Sprint do this?
    The mobile hotspot still works, it still sets up a open connection and you can still connect to it. Sprint just fixed it to block data unless you pay for tethering. Google didn't change anything about their mobile hotspot, Sprint did, so like it or not Google can not tell the carriers how they set up/distribute their data.
    07-25-2011 08:51 PM
    Wifi is definitely better in my bedroom.
    07-25-2011 08:59 PM
    I see no difference yet in anything.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk. Round stinka lardum bardle doo.
    07-25-2011 09:00 PM
    The mobile hotspot still works, it still sets up a open connection and you can still connect to it. Sprint just fixed it to block data unless you pay for tethering. Google didn't change anything about their mobile hotspot, Sprint did, so like it or not Google can not tell the carriers how they set up/distribute their data.
    I was under the impression that USB tethering was what is included in AOSP not hot spot.
    07-25-2011 09:01 PM
    Ok got the update installed. Absolutely no difference. If anything, its worse. Before wifi dl speeds were around 8mbps now I am only getting about 4.5mbps. Still get 0 to 1 bar in my house while my wife's evo still gets 2-3 bars. Also, ringer volume is still the same and quiet as ever. Fail update is fail.
    07-25-2011 09:04 PM
    No, Google wrote this code and is hosting it on their own site (you can download it from there). So it's not Sprint doing it, it's Google. It might be at Sprint's insistence but google wrote the code to turn it off.
    07-25-2011 09:09 PM
    Ok got the update installed. Absolutely no difference. If anything, its worse. Before wifi dl speeds were around 8mbps now I am only getting about 4.5mbps. Still get 0 to 1 bar in my house while my wife's evo still gets 2-3 bars. Also, ringer volume is still the same and quiet as ever. Fail update is fail.
    Question, can we undo the update if we want (like we can for apps)?
    07-25-2011 09:11 PM
    I have to say, when the connection is hitting, my wifi is incredible. It actually is full speed. But the actual strength still sucks. I get 1 bar/disconnects and goes to barely 1 bar 3g. At my house I expect 3g to have issues, Sprint doesn't have the best connection here. But the Wifi to my room is 4/5 bars on my laptop and was at least half with my Palm Pre. Man I was hoping this would fix it. Well tomorrow at work I will try the new connection and see if the 3g is solid.
    07-25-2011 09:11 PM
    For those of you having trouble installing the update from google's site:

Return to stock per the instructions in the Root/Un-root post.
    make sure the file is on your sd-cards root and renamed to update.zip(just name it update,the .zip is automatically attached.)
    Once you re-lock the boot-loader in the last step, from the fastboot menu boot into recovery.
    you'll see the little triangle and the android guy.
    Hold down the power button and toggle the volume keys to open the STOCK recovery. (Hold power down and wiggle the volume keys.) Choose apply update from/sd-card, choose update.zip and you're done. when it's finished reboot. This way you don't have to worry about a patched file, just the pure update.

This also works if you've never rooted in the first place. just skip the Root/Unroot post section. Boot into the boot-loader menu (power off then hold power and volume-up) choose recovery option, then once in recovery: (Hold power down and wiggle the volume keys.) Choose apply update from/sd-card, choose update.zip
    07-25-2011 09:13 PM
    Wifi is better here. Just tested before and after. I'm actually in Hilton Head, not at home, but seems to be twice the speed. No difference in 3G speeds, and 4G is nowhere to be seen around here.
    07-25-2011 09:20 PM
    This might be a stupid question. How do I put the zip file on the internal memory /sd card? I don't have my phone rooted. Do I just download it on my computer then plug my phone in and drop it in the folder or is there a special place I need to put it. Thanks for the help.
    07-25-2011 09:56 PM
    I hope I rooted it correctly. Android Ver 2.3.5 Baseband version D720SPRKE5 Build Number GRJ90

Is that correct or did I miss something
    07-25-2011 09:56 PM
    This might be a stupid question. How do I put the zip file on the internal memory /sd card? I don't have my phone rooted. Do I just download it on my computer then plug my phone in and drop it in the folder or is there a special place I need to put it. Thanks for the help.
    Yes just drop it on your phone.
    07-25-2011 10:05 PM
    Stop going by bars, both devices estimate signal much differently. Of course the EVO has more bars, and HTC has been shown to be more inaccurate on signal then most Android devices. Go into settings, then about phone, Status. Look at the dB rating of the signal, then on the EVO check it with a app called "Network". Never go by amount of bars, especially if both phones estimate them differently.
    07-25-2011 10:17 PM
    Well still waiting on the OTA here in chicago. No surprise though. Cant wait to see what this will do.
    07-25-2011 10:41 PM
    I'm guessing I need to return to stock kernel huh? running netarchy, but stock everything else.
    07-25-2011 10:41 PM
    am i the only one not noticing any difference in sound? my music, ringtone, speakerphone for calls, etc are all still too quiet. i've seen others reporting an increase in sound, but idk what they are referring to....
    07-25-2011 10:57 PM
    Wifi still has garbage signal. No speed improvements before and after with Speedtest.net app. Online game I play still disconnects at random on Wifi. Using the Airave with 3G the game never disconnects. Nice job Google with your useless update along with taking away my free tethering! Also the 160 text limit isn't fixed nor is the sideways SMS pic issue...
    07-25-2011 11:02 PM
    Updating from my initial experience, I ran some tests for wifi and 3g using Speedtest by ookla and Speakeasy. I found the results pretty interesting, to say the least.

Wifi seems to have a much more consistent connection, without sacrificing speed. Download speeds ranged from 5 to 9 mbps on Speakeasy (4-6 on Speedtest), while upload speeds remained perfectly around 2 mbps on both test sites. The results are similar to pre-update speeds, without the random dropoffs in signal.

3g download speeds on Speakeasy ranged from 250-400 kbps (160-300 on speedtest), which is actually lower than what I got before the update (500-600). However, upload speeds actually increased, with a steady 300 kbps on both test sites. The signal continues to constantly change.

I unfortunately can't test 4g since I can't acquire a signal, even in the middle of NYC. For comparison though, my father's Epic 4g can't receive a signal either in my area, while my sister's HTC Evo Shift receives a couple of bars of 4g. I guess it might be a Samsung issue.

Hope this information helps a bit.
    07-25-2011 11:12 PM
    I swapped just the radios and my 3G downloads were horrid and all over the place while my uploads were about double the download and consistent.
    07-25-2011 11:15 PM
    I swapped just the radios and my 3G downloads were horrid and all over the place while my uploads were about double the download and consistent.
    That is exactly what is occurring on my phone, although I performed the full update.
    07-25-2011 11:17 PM
    4g speeds increased! Maximum download achieved prior:4800kbps, after:7500kbps(speedtest.net indoors) Noticed 2 random dropped signals outdoors on 4g, never noticed drops prior.
    07-25-2011 11:38 PM
    where is the 4g toggle swtich?
    07-25-2011 11:43 PM
    I just manually updated to 2.3.5 on my rooted nexus s 4g, had to reroot the phone after the update, it did not wipe any data or apps. wireless hotspot tethering works much better after the update. Noticed 3g and 4g improvements, at times I get an extra bar for 3g and wifi. No 4g widget found.

This post was made after tethering to my updated phone. The tether did not work well before the update, I think the update has made signficant signal improvements for my phone. I have not tested the speaker phone or any other claimed fixes or improvements.

Just to prove wireless tethering still works after the update, here is an IP/ISP lookup I did:

Location not accurate? Try: Update IP Location IP Information: 66.87.xx.xxx
    ISP: Sprint PCS
    Organization: Sprint PCS
    Connection: Dial-up
    Services: None Detected
    City: Brooklyn
    Region: New York
    07-25-2011 11:48 PM
960 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD