[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Rumor] July 11th Update

you need a custom kernel for the one that lights up the home/search/back/menu keys at the bottom. there's another one that blinks icons on the actual screen that only requires root, no kernel.

that was actually the second part of my own question in this thread. i want to know if you have to unroot before applying updates (from my own digging around it doesnt look like you do) and i think you still get updates sent because you're just giving yourself access to all the files on the phone when rooting, not necessarily changing anything like you do with ROMs and whatnot.

i guess i'll be my own guinea pig on monday if nobody confirms before then.

From my research it is OK to install a OTA update with root installed.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...s-necessary-fot-rooted-phone-accept-otas.html <-- I recommend asking OTA update for root users questions there.

However, if you have installed kernels, Roms, patches whatever it is. You need to remove or return to stock I would assume. Again i'm a n00b coming from the webOS environment. It was much easier to deal with there. But again, OTA with root is fine, you just need to reinstall (same method) root afterwards.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

From my research it is OK to install a OTA update with root installed.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...s-necessary-fot-rooted-phone-accept-otas.html <-- I recommend asking OTA update for root users questions there.

However, if you have installed kernels, Roms, patches whatever it is. You need to remove or return to stock I would assume. Again i'm a n00b coming from the webOS environment. It was much easier to deal with there. But again, OTA with root is fine, you just need to reinstall (same method) root afterwards.
Ha, I was in that thread last night looking to answer my questions.

I just jumped from WebOS too. I have a TON of practical experience with Android, but never messed with rooting and stuff until now.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I think these questions are the main reason I don't bother with rooting. I don't see a big enough advantage in my own case.

bkrasso

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You only need to go back to stock if you want to get the OTA update.

You dont have to go back to stock rom and unroot your phone though. People over at XDA will provide a way to flash the new stock rom for rooted and non rooted that can be applied yourself and normally this will be done before the OTAs are even rolling out.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps because it is important to so many people - not everyone wants to root their phone - and since it is so important to so many people, there is no need to disparage him or those of us that truly care whether or not tethering would be affected.

One can easily make the same narcassistic statement in regards to the antenna. So far, thankfully, it seems to be working fine - should I now dismiss everyone who is talking about their antenna in here and in other threads? For me, free tethering was one of the reasons I selected this phone over the 3d and it is important to me and other people - it may not be important to you and others, but that in no way makes it less important to other people and they have as much right to this forum as you and others.

So all of the other threads on the internet can't answer that question or address any concerns you may have?

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

you need a custom kernel for the one that lights up the home/search/back/menu keys at the bottom. there's another one that blinks icons on the actual screen that only requires root, no kernel.

Actually, you're second one is called NoLED and it does not need root. You can use it with a stock device

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

My only question is how root users can install the radio update without unrooting. Ive never updated radios on a samsung phone, i think they are called modems? Man, im such a sammy nub. :p

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

What ere the benefits and risks (including downsides) to rooting? Any advantages to not rooting?

Apologize in advance for hijacking the thread for a moment to explain this a bit for the benefit of those who do not have a clear idea what this is.

Lets start with a crude analogy of what rooting is: when most of us are at work we log into a business wide computer system as users with limited access defined by the network administrator(s). This is akin to Android out-of-the-box experince, you have access to only a portion of the system designed to provide a balanced user experience. The main benefit I see of running stock with no root is little to no chance of you doing any significant harm to the phone; whatever you manage do by installing poorly coded software, can be easily corrected by removing it or, if serious enough, a full factory reset.

Continuing with the anology, if you get adminstrator credentials then you will have almost complete access to the system allowing you to grant, deny or restrict access to other users of the system and to change the software that is running on the network at any particular time. This is similar to obtaining root access on your Android phone (hence the term rooting), once you do you can become the superuser (similar to the adminstrator on a network) allowing you to grant, deny or restrict access to any program or process on your phone, allowing you access to restricted portions of the memory where some programs reside out of reach to normal users (bloatware for example) allowing you to delete or modify those in whichever way you want. It also allows you access to the systems files that control the functions of your phone such as changing the CPU clock time by overclocking or undercloking it to suit your needs for example.

To one of your specific questions, if you root, you are still full Android (unless you choose to flash a different OS that is) and can do everything you normally do unrooted including running programs and using the market. One notable issue is when we get official OTA updates, on most phones you will not be able to get/install those without loosing root access or you may not be able to do so at all until you unroot. As someone else already pointed out, if you are running a custom ROM and don't want to unroot, you just wait a little and the OTA will be incorporated into the latest ROM version by the developer and you only need to flash the up-to-date ROM without loosing any of the root access. In some cases, custom ROM users get the update BEFORE unrooted users do.

So what are the benefits:

1, You gain full access to the OS (linux that is) and can make any number of changes that you want to enhance or customize the performace of your phone, one of those would be (re)activate free tethering.

2. You can grant access to programs that otherwise could not run on your phone because they need access to restricted areas of the OS ~ those are the programs you see on the market that indicate the need for root in order for them to work because they modify system resources, like the free tethering program I referrenced earlier.

3. You have a choice to continue using the OS that came with the phone with no additional changes as a rooted user, or you can choose to experiement with the multiple customized ROM's available for the majority of Android devices. Please read this post for more information on custom ROMs.

So what are the downsides:

1. As some have pointed out, it technically voids your warranty. To that I have to say that on most devices you can restore the OEM ROM image and unroot the phone before seeking any warranty service and is unlikely anyone could prove that you were rooted before.

2. You gain full access to the OS (linux that is) and can make any number of changes that you want to enhance or customize the performace of your phone. Quoting from the Spiderman movie: "...with great power comes great responsibility.". This is true of rooting, if you don't know what your are doing and make unintended changes on a system file(s) that could have a serious impact on your phone and make it dysfunctional. That is why, in my opinion, you should read and fully understand rooting and the procedure(s) you want to do BEFORE rooting. Rooting is not for the novice, you need to do your homework before going that route. There is a lot of information on the blog and these forums about rooting and custom ROMs.

If you are intersted in rooting, please make this your first stop and then follow the suggested links until you get a good understanding about the procedures. Don't get intimidated by the terminology, once you take the time to read and learn what it means and how it all works you will find that rooting (especially the Nexus) is not really that complicated. If you decide to install custom ROMs it can be very fun and extremely addictive ~ every ROM brings enhancements and tweaks to Android that make it feel like you have a new phone every time you flash a different one. And the cool thing, you can always undo everything and go back to a fully stock unrooted state whenever you want.

Hope this help to get you started on this subject.

Last edited:

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Apologize in advance for hijacking the thread for a moment to explain this a bit for the benefit of those who do not have a clear idea what this is.

Lets start with a crude analogy of what rooting is: when most of us are at work we log into a business wide computer system as users with limited access defined by the network administrator(s). This is akin to Android out-of-the-box experince, you have access to only a portion of the system designed to provide a balanced user experience.

Continuing with the anology, if you get adminstrator credentials then you will have almost complete access to the system allowing you to grant, deny or restrict access to other users of the system and to change the software that is running on the network at any particular time. This is similar to obtaining root access on your Android phone (hence the term rooting), once you do you can become the superuser allowing you to grant, deny or restrict access to the system to any program or process on your phone, allowing you access to restricted portions of the memory where some programs reside out of the reach of the normal user (bloatware for example) allowing you to delete or modify those in whichever way you want. It also allows you access to the systems files that control the functions of your phone, you can change a number of functions parameters - changing the CPU clock time by over clocking or undercloking it to suit your needs for example.

To one of your specific questions, if you root, you are still full Android (unless you choose to flash a different OS that is) and can do everything you normally do unrooted including running programs and using the market. One notable issue is when we get official OTA updates, on most phones you will not be able to get/install those without loosing root access or you may not be able to do so at all until you unroot.

So what are the benefits:

1, You gain full access to the OS (linux that is) and can make any number of changes that you want to enhance or customize the performace of your phone, one of those would be (re)activate free tethering.

2. You can grant access to programs that otherwise could not run on your phone because they need access to restricted areas of the OS ~ those are the programs you see on the market that indicate the need for root in order for them to work, like the free tethering program I referrenced earlier.

3. You have a choice to continue using the OS that came with the phone with no additional changes as a rooted user, or you can choose to experiement with the multiple customized ROM's available for the majority of Android devices. Please read this post for more information on custom ROMs.

So what are the downsides:

1. As some have pointed out, it technically voids your warranty. To that I have to say that on most devices you can restore the OEM ROM image and unroot the phone before seeking any warranty service and is unlikely anyone could prove that you were rooted before.

2. You gain full access to the OS (linux that is) and can make any number of changes that you want to enhance or customize the performace of your phone. Quoting the Spiderman movie: "...with great power comes great responsibility.". This is very true of rooting, if you don't know what your are doing and make an unintended changes on a system file(s) that could have a serious impact on your phone and make it dysfunctional. That is why, in my opinion, you should read and fully understand rooting and the procedure(s) you want to do BEFORE rooting. Rooting is not for the novice, you need to do your homework before going that route. There is a lot of information on the blog and these forums about rooting and custom ROMs.

If you are intersted in rooting, please make this your first stop and then follow the suggested links until you get a good understanding about the procedures.

Hope this help to get you started on this subject.
This is exactly the post I have been waiting for since I got the Nexus. Thank you.

Now if anyone wants to chime in, I would also like to know what you have done with your rooted devices. Lets see some examples of the great things you can do when rooted, or some great ROMs and why you like them.

Thank you

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

So you would rather have the phone stripped down to just the dialer, contacts, etc...? I guess that would work. I actually thought that that's where smartphones were headed for a while. It would be interesting if they would just sell a shell of a phone with just one app installed; the market and let the consumer customize from the very beginning.

Actually I like the idea of a barebones phone, that is why I like the Nexus because is as close as you can get to it out-of-the-box. That of course is not a very practical solution as the vast majority of Android users out there are not power users nor they spend any time on sites like this. So I feel the best compromise for my taste would be to have the manufacturer include any number of additional programs he feels can enhance the targeted end user's experience, but do so in RAM so those can be deleted if not wanted freeing some additional memory and resources for other uses.

I remember reading on the blog about a month ago that a manufacturer was going that route on Sprint even with the Sprint bloatware ~ they were including it but allowing the user to delete those he did not need or wanted from the phone once activated. I am not sure if it was the Evo 3D or perhaps the upcoming Photon.

Last edited:

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Getting very OT here, but I rooted so I could backup all my game data so when I do a factory reset or something happens, I don't lose all my game progress.

That said, BRING ON JULY 11!!!

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

So all of the other threads on the internet can't answer that question or address any concerns you may have?

What are you, the thread police? I merely stated that people have different concerns and that everyone has a right to voice them - and I stand by that.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

hahhaa my very first post and its a post to gloat that all the issues with signal that everyone temporarily went insane about is coming as a fix as we all predicted....glad I held on!

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

What are you, the thread police? I merely stated that people have different concerns and that everyone has a right to voice them - and I stand by that.

Can you grow a thicker skin maybe? I was just saying the other guy has a very valid point and we too have every right you have to voice anything that we want to. Now lets put on the big boy pants and walk away okay?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Can you grow a thicker skin maybe? I was just saying the other guy has a very valid point and we too have every right you have to voice anything that we want to. Now lets put on the big boy pants and walk away okay?

Bah, you brought this up again after it was resolved so nice try at a spin there. By the way, telling someone to not voice their concerns is not advocating free speech - there is a differene between the two positions, perhaps when you're older, you may figure it out. Incidentlly, my skin is fine, but I stand by what I state - but if it helps, I'll put my pants on, so to speak, if you agree to put your big girl skirt on. So let's move on.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Bah, you brought this up again after it was resolved so nice try at a spin there. By the way, telling someone to not voice their concerns is not advocating free speech - there is a differene between the two positions, perhaps when you're older, you may figure it out. Incidentlly, my skin is fine, but I stand by what I state - but if it helps, I'll put my pants on, so to speak, if you agree to put your big girl skirt on. So let's move on.

Hold on. I gotta change pads.

Wait, I'm lost with all these arguments. What, if anything, is being updated besides what was listed? And how do we know?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Hold on. I gotta change pads.

Wait, I'm lost with all these arguments. What, if anything, is being updated besides what was listed? And how do we know?

Lol, I honestly cannot state with any certainty what will, or will not, be updated. Who can really say outside of Sprint?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis