[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Rumor] July 11th Update

the fact is that free tethering(whether the phone can or not) is not allowed by sprint. The contract says free tethering is prohibited. So if you chose that phone for that reason thats great. But you cant be mad that they disable something that they dont allow in the first place.

Free teathering was listed by Sprint underneath the phone (as part of the description) at the Sprint Store. So, I along with others, can be upset.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea why you feel so insulted about my comment. If you care to read it I didn't say it was not important to some of you... agree is cool to have it... my point is that we can continue speculating if Sprint will disable it all we want, if they do there is not much we can do about it. The only thing you could do is reject the update, and that is of course your choice.

I don't care much if they disable it or not with this update since I don't use it too much, but most importantly, because is easy to restore it if they do.

As Chud said, lets wait and see if this happens or not. If it does, there will be a hack in no time for all that want to restore this function.

No need to get personal about any of this.

Well, no worries, I just felt that your post was too dissmissive of others. I stand by what I wrote, tethering, while not important to you, is to others and we can all discuss what we want. There was no need to be so dissmisive of others in my opinion.

In the end, I do not know how to root and what the benefits/risks there are to rooting, so that is why I am more aprehensive than other, more experienced, Android users - and that is why I am concerned about this update.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Free teathering was listed by Sprint underneath the phone (as part of the description) at the Sprint Store. So, I along with others, can be upset.

I didn't catch that when I got my Nexus, but if it is so, then we all may have a case for false advertisement against Sprint if they do disable this function.

Again we need to wait and see if in fact they disable this function come Monday.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

In the end, I do not know how to root and what the benefits/risks there are to rooting, so that is why I am more aprehensive than other, more experienced, Android users - and that is why I am concerned about this update.

I can understand that, I was quite lost about any type of hacking when I came to Android - used to program and hack away on Palm and WM for years. Rest assured that the Nexus - contrary to other current Android phones - is designed to be extremely easy to root and instructions are available on the ROM/Hack section of this board.

If you do decide to root just ask, that's what most of us are here for - to help new users with their questions so everyone can benefit. No hard feelings...

Reactions: Tenebrous

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I had no idea that Google Earth was uninstallable. I'm rooted but the Uninstall button is still greyed out.

Program is huge too and I'm sure I'll use it as much as the desktop version. (never)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

^^^ All of the Google apps are free in the market. The phone wouldn't have anything on it if there were not already installed.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

^^^ All of the Google apps are free in the market. The phone wouldn't have anything on it if there were not already installed.

Well that is not entirely correct. The core phone apps (i.e., SMS, dialer, contacts, etc) are not available on the market so those will need to be included on ROM. All the others I would argue should either be installed on RAM or allow the user to download them from the market if he use/need that app.

In any case, most of the apps that are baked into ROM (Goggles and to a greater extent others) are already old versions by the time the ROM is distributed to the end user or shortly after do to rapid development cycles. The day I bought my Nexus, there were already newer version on the market for Google Search, Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Books and GMail.

Despite everything, there is no denying the Nexus is cleaner that most others when it comes to bloatware. I am very happy with it and truly don't mind too much about any of those extra apps being there.

dylan11

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I had no idea that Google Earth was uninstallable. I'm rooted but the Uninstall button is still greyed out.

Program is huge too and I'm sure I'll use it as much as the desktop version. (never)

If i recall correctly, its only maps that cant be removed, it is tied to other programs. Removing Earth should be no problem.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

If i recall correctly, its only maps that cant be removed, it is tied to other programs. Removing Earth should be no problem.

No you can't remove Google Earth (or Books) without rooting, is part of the ROM image on the Nexus S 4G.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Well that is not entirely correct. The core phone apps (i.e., SMS, dialer, contacts, etc) are not available on the market so those will need to be included on ROM. All the others I would argue should either be installed on RAM or allow the user to download them from the market if he use/need that app.

In any case, most of the apps that are baked into ROM (Goggles and to a greater extent others) are already old versions by the time the ROM is distributed to the end user or shortly after do to rapid development cycles. The day I bought my Nexus, there were already newer version on the market for Google Search, Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Books and GMail.

Despite everything, there is no denying the Nexus is cleaner that most others when it comes to bloatware. I am very happy with it and truly don't mind too much about any of those extra apps being there.

So you would rather have the phone stripped down to just the dialer, contacts, etc...? I guess that would work. I actually thought that that's where smartphones were headed for a while. It would be interesting if they would just sell a shell of a phone with just one app installed; the market and let the consumer customize from the very beginning.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

So if I'm only rooted, what would I do in order to remove programs like that?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

What ere the benefits and risks (including downsides) to rooting? Any advantages to not rooting?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I haven't seen any downsides yet (besides a technically voided warranty), but I haven't gotten into changing ROMs or kernels. Some of the apps are only available on rooted devices, like the notification lights, screenshot takers and backeruppers.

4G wireless tethering is good.

You can do a lot really, which is why I keep holding off on going further than just rooting. I don't want to get into the slippery slope of customizing and customizing and customizing. Even though it's easy enough to go back to stock and undo everything, I just like to tinker and once I start I won't stop.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

I have always been partial to stock myself. Noitification lights I thought required a custom kernal with root...

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site

wasnt listed that way at a corporate store, trust me. if so then that store was using unapproved marketing material.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

wasnt listed that way at a corporate store, trust me. if so then that store was using unapproved marketing material.
I trust my eyes and it was at a corporate store. In regards to unapproved marketing, I cannot say one way or the other, but considering that I seem to be the only one that saw it, then that may be the case - but, nevertheless it was indeed there.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I haven't seen any downsides yet (besides a technically voided warranty), but I haven't gotten into changing ROMs or kernels. Some of the apps are only available on rooted devices, like the notification lights, screenshot takers and backeruppers.

4G wireless tethering is good.

You can do a lot really, which is why I keep holding off on going further than just rooting. I don't want to get into the slippery slope of customizing and customizing and customizing. Even though it's easy enough to go back to stock and undo everything, I just like to tinker and once I start I won't stop.

After rooting, do you still get Google updates automatically, as soon as they come out, or do you need to wait and do something?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I have always been partial to stock myself. Noitification lights I thought required a custom kernal with root...
you need a custom kernel for the one that lights up the home/search/back/menu keys at the bottom. there's another one that blinks icons on the actual screen that only requires root, no kernel.

After rooting, do you still get Google updates automatically, as soon as they come out, or do you need to wait and do something?
that was actually the second part of my own question in this thread. i want to know if you have to unroot before applying updates (from my own digging around it doesnt look like you do) and i think you still get updates sent because you're just giving yourself access to all the files on the phone when rooting, not necessarily changing anything like you do with ROMs and whatnot.

i guess i'll be my own guinea pig on monday if nobody confirms before then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21