[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Official Rumor] July 11th, now July 25th Update

So will it fix the not being able to text over 160 characters issue??? It better when it says in the freaking manual that it already can!

I started a thread about this at the Google Mobile Help Forum but not many people seem to be using the stock SMS app to get the volume going. All of you who do and want Google's attention on this, please post there using the provided link. Thanks.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

You can text over 160 characters on the phone now, granted you'll have to use a 3rd party SMS client like Handcent or GoSMS. The issue isn't you cant from the phone, it's that the built-in SMS app won't automatically split messages as is needed on Sprint's implementation of CDMA.
Does handscent or gosms upload SMS pics sideways from the gallery like the stock texting app does?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

How did Verizon mess it up?
You can't send two part texts to Verizon and have the properly restitich. So instead of repeating this to customers over and over again, they just locked it so that you are forced to send two messages. Which of course causes its own new set of complaints.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

You can't send two part texts to Verizon and have the properly restitich. So instead of repeating this to customers over and over again, they just locked it so that you are forced to send two messages. Which of course causes its own new set of complaints.

I am a bit lost here chud, how does that affect the Sprint Nexus' SMS app function?

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Uhm when i had my Palm Pre I sent multiple texts to Verizon users with 3 4 or 5 messages in one sent text and they never had any issues receiving them?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

You got me guys, I'm just making stuff up as I tend to do.

Happy Friday.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Your Pre had unified messaging so when a message went over 160 characters it automatically sent it as an MMS message.

It's all limited by the tech behind CDMA.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Your Pre had unified messaging so when a message went over 160 characters it automatically sent it as an MMS message.

How can this not have unified messaging built in when on Sprints website in the user manual on page 231 it states this...

Exchanging messages
You can send text (SMS) messages of up to 160 characters to another mobile phone.
If you keep typing after the limit, your message is delivered as a series of messages.

If they are not going to fix this issue then they need to get this info off their freaking website and stop acting like it works as described. I have already called Samsung, Sprint, and posted on Google forums and no one seems to care. Idc if 3rd party messaging apps fix it. Most people wont be using 3rd party messaging apps because they don't even know they exist.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I've never quite understood if long SMS/concatenation was actually a limitation of CDMA or just the US CDMA carriers implementation of CDMA.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Since some folks claim that not all phones are bad, the faster phone in the video might be due to it not having a problem, and having nothing to do the software. They should've done a before and after on the same phone.

Also, did you notice the difference in the backlighting on the buttons? Build quality on these phones isn't the greatest.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
when it comes to fixing issues this phone has been on par with other Samsung devices. HTC is much faster at fixing "issues " with there phones. I am sure we will get Android operating system updates first but regular old system issues just dont happen real quick with this phone. when the evo 4g first came out it had signal issues too but an update was released in less than 30 days to fix the problem. it took 2 and a half months for this and it doesn't sound like the 3g issue is even addressed . I'm happy this is going to finally happen but it seems like more issues could have been addressed in this amount of time. I really like this phone but I am not impressed with Googles "quick updates ". So far the Google?s updated prowess is pretty much on par with Palm. Sprinkle out a few small upgrades and let people pound sand till we feel like doing more. Hope I'm wrong.

Don't forget that other phones are trying to keep up and catch up to the software we already have. I don't expect to see a lot if updates because there doesn't seem to be that many issues. I only expect that when there is an update that my Nexus will get it first.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Does xda have the update yet? Sprint must be hiding it good if they don't.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

And this guy reported me. I hope he was able to do it all in 160 characters or less.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

And this guy reported me. I hope he was able to do it all in 160 characters or less.

LOL reporting a private message??? LMAO! My point is valid because this phone along with the HTC Arrive are the only smartphones I am aware of that cannot split messages on Verizon and Sprint. The Epic can, the Evo can, any Blackberry can, the Iphone 4 can, the Droid's can... I could go on and on. So enough with the limitation of Sprint and Verizon bs. Its a phone flaw simple as that. Has nothing to do with the network! So you can make fun of me all you want but fact is I am not the only one who is annoyed by this... This goes side by side in annoyance with the incorrectly displayed photos when sending a picture message... People cannot stand getting sideways pics from me all the time because no matter what they do it never fills their screen...

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
LOL reporting a private message??? LMAO! My point is valid because this phone along with the HTC Arrive are the only smartphones I am aware of that cannot split messages on Verizon and Sprint. The Epic can, the Evo can, any Blackberry can, the Iphone 4 can, the Droid's can... I could go on and on. So enough with the limitation of Sprint and Verizon bs. Its a phone flaw simple as that. Has nothing to do with the network! So you can make fun of me all you want but fact is I am not the only one who is annoyed by this... This goes side by side in annoyance with the incorrectly displayed photos when sending a picture message... People cannot stand getting sideways pics from me all the time because no matter what they do it never fills their screen...
Rotate the picture?