[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 7

Not really. You can install this if you're rooted (I did). You'll just have to re-run the root process after installing it (not a big deal). Under 10 minutes, and I'm happily rooted on 2.3.5 now. You'll also lose your recovery partition, so you have to reinstall that (and rename /system/etc/install-recovery.sh again). If you un-root and install, your phone will be wiped and you'll start with a clean slate. If you install the update on a rooted phone and then re-root, all your data and settings will remain intact with no loss. If you don't want to lose data, don't touch any "fastboot oem lock/unlock" commands.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but if you've never rooted and don't intend to root will you still lose the recovery partition from performing the update manually?

Thanks.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Can anyone who is actually paying for mobile hotspot confirm if they can still tether or use mobile hotspot. I guess it would be helpful to find out if it's now a paid service and somehow Sprint can manage it that way.

I don tpay for mobile hot spot but its not working anymore.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Official Rumor] July 11th, now July 25th Update

Sorry I already installed it. I didn't know I should have waited. Sorry guys.
When I did the force check my said the same thing. I think it just puts your phone on the list. check your system updates to see if anything is there to download or if its already downloadng the update. I had no notification it was downloading.

Out of curiosity, is free tethering still available?

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Can anyone who is actually paying for mobile hotspot confirm if they can still tether or use mobile hotspot. I guess it would be helpful to find out if it's now a paid service and somehow Sprint can manage it that way.
My hotspot is inactive as well, device connects NS4G but no data connection between devices

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don tpay for mobile hot spot but its not working anymore.

No, the question was whether someone that's paying Sprint for the hotspot feature has the PAID feature borked or not. The consensus is that the "free" hotspot is not working, but we don't know whether that's cause we're not paying or if it's actually broken.

Reactions: esoh

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure it's free, but I downloaded and flashed the update, then rerooted, but I don't have a different Rom, just stock. The option for the hotspot is still there, so i guess it's still available.
We all still have it, but it doesn't work. You can still create a hotspot and connect to it with another device, but there is no data connection.

Reactions: Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, I can't get tethering or mob hotspot to work, 3G or 4G. Some others at XDA are saying the same. Not saying that it's permanent, but it's what I have now. If you need tethering or MHS, DO NOT apply update for now.
Bah.

Grays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

Yes I can tell you that if you pay for hotspot on your account it will work.

Reactions: esoh

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

We all still have it, but it doesn't work. You can still create a hotspot and connect to it with another device, but there is no data connection.

Wow, that sux - thanks for the 411, but very dissapointed in Google and Sprint.

Grays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

Wow, that sux - thanks for the 411, but very dissapointed in Google and Sprint.
I don't know why your dissapointed Sprint stated from the beginning that hotspot would be a pay service. It worked at first on 3g because of a glitch, they fixed the glitch. You got 3 months of free hotspot. Now if you want it you can root or pay.

Jmayn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why your dissapointed Sprint stated from the beginning that hotspot would be a pay service. It worked at first on 3g because of a glitch, they fixed the glitch. You got 3 months of free hotspot. Now if you want it you can root or pay.
I hate to be this guy and ask, but I was rooted on 2.3.4 and manually updated to 2.3.5 and my root is gone. Can re-root my phone with the same instructions as I did on 2.3.4? I used tethering quite a bit and am sooo disappointed this was taken out. If this was already covered, i must've missed it. Smacking myself in the head for updating too quickly :/

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Do you know if it works on 4G or 3G only?

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Manually applied the update and right off the bat it feels faster. I won't be able to tell for sure for a little while but I'm happy so far

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I hate to be this guy and ask, but I was rooted on 2.3.4 and manually updated to 2.3.5 and my root is gone. Can re-root my phone with the same instructions as I did on 2.3.4? I used tethering quite a bit and am sooo disappointed this was taken out. If this was already covered, i must've missed it. Smacking myself in the head for updating too quickly :/
I tried re-rooting after the update and it didnt work for me
***I take that back i have root i just some how lost my recovery partition

Last edited:

cjitty

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My inside source at Google told me Sprint can't mess with the internal tethering or anything about this phones setup. But that was a month ago, so maybe things have changed. Forced to root now..sigh

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy