[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 7

Well still waiting on the OTA here in chicago. No surprise though. Cant wait to see what this will do.

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing I need to return to stock kernel huh? running netarchy, but stock everything else.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

am i the only one not noticing any difference in sound? my music, ringtone, speakerphone for calls, etc are all still too quiet. i've seen others reporting an increase in sound, but idk what they are referring to....

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Wifi still has garbage signal. No speed improvements before and after with Speedtest.net app. Online game I play still disconnects at random on Wifi. Using the Airave with 3G the game never disconnects. Nice job Google with your useless update along with taking away my free tethering! Also the 160 text limit isn't fixed nor is the sideways SMS pic issue...

aponteg22

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Updating from my initial experience, I ran some tests for wifi and 3g using Speedtest by ookla and Speakeasy. I found the results pretty interesting, to say the least.

Wifi seems to have a much more consistent connection, without sacrificing speed. Download speeds ranged from 5 to 9 mbps on Speakeasy (4-6 on Speedtest), while upload speeds remained perfectly around 2 mbps on both test sites. The results are similar to pre-update speeds, without the random dropoffs in signal.

3g download speeds on Speakeasy ranged from 250-400 kbps (160-300 on speedtest), which is actually lower than what I got before the update (500-600). However, upload speeds actually increased, with a steady 300 kbps on both test sites. The signal continues to constantly change.

I unfortunately can't test 4g since I can't acquire a signal, even in the middle of NYC. For comparison though, my father's Epic 4g can't receive a signal either in my area, while my sister's HTC Evo Shift receives a couple of bars of 4g. I guess it might be a Samsung issue.

Hope this information helps a bit.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I swapped just the radios and my 3G downloads were horrid and all over the place while my uploads were about double the download and consistent.

aponteg22

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I swapped just the radios and my 3G downloads were horrid and all over the place while my uploads were about double the download and consistent.

That is exactly what is occurring on my phone, although I performed the full update.

MasterShultz

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

4g speeds increased! Maximum download achieved prior:4800kbps, after:7500kbps(speedtest.net indoors) Noticed 2 random dropped signals outdoors on 4g, never noticed drops prior.

sknexus4g

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I just manually updated to 2.3.5 on my rooted nexus s 4g, had to reroot the phone after the update, it did not wipe any data or apps. wireless hotspot tethering works much better after the update. Noticed 3g and 4g improvements, at times I get an extra bar for 3g and wifi. No 4g widget found.

This post was made after tethering to my updated phone. The tether did not work well before the update, I think the update has made signficant signal improvements for my phone. I have not tested the speaker phone or any other claimed fixes or improvements.

Just to prove wireless tethering still works after the update, here is an IP/ISP lookup I did:

Location not accurate? Try: Update IP Location IP Information: 66.87.xx.xxx
ISP: Sprint PCS
Organization: Sprint PCS
Connection: Dial-up
Services: None Detected
City: Brooklyn
Region: New York

Last edited:

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I've always wondered how do they decide who gets the update first?

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I just manually updated to 2.3.5 on my rooted nexus s 4g, had to reroot the phone after the update, it did not wipe any data or apps. wireless hotspot tethering works much better after the update. Noticed 3g and 4g improvements, at times I get an extra bar for 3g and wifi. No 4g widget found.

This post was made after tethering to my updated phone. The tether did not work well before the update, I think the update has made signficant signal improvements for my phone. I have not tested the speaker phone or any other claimed fixes or improvements.

Just to prove wireless tethering still works after the update, here is an IP/ISP lookup I did:

Location not accurate? Try: Update IP Location IP Information: 66.87.xx.xxx
ISP: Sprint PCS
Organization: Sprint PCS
Connection: Dial-up
Services: None Detected
City: Brooklyn
Region: New York
Wireless tethering only works if you are rooted on 2.3.5. It will no longer work unrooted.