[Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 72

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Official] July 25th Update - Links first post, and/or page 7

I never really had any issues but after the update my 4g is significantly faster.

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Really sucks too. I love this phone. But the fact my DLs get interrupted, texts sometimes dont send and calls either dropping or becoming static.... It sucks for sure. The phone itself zips. :'( The only improvement from the update was the throughput I get when WIFI is connected. But the actual signal is the same and my 3g performance went down.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

To the poeple who have been having problems with download speeds. After the update have you updated your PRL and Profile? This might help. Also I would think about doing a full battery pull reset. I was having speed problems and the update really helped me. Just a thought.

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S 4G GRJ90 Update Download

Here is the link for the Nexus S 4G update (GRJ90)

This link is directly from Google's server (once you know the file name, it is easy to locate)

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...2.39fe4c59.zip

Here are the steps to update
Note : You must be on GRJ22 to use this update method

Step 1 rename the file to update.zip.
Step 2 Copy update.zip to root of SDCARD.
Step 3 Power off phone.
Step 4 Press and hold Power+Vol up buttons(Enters Boot loader).
Step 5 Select Recovery.
Step 6 Wait for the Exclamation Indicater, or Press Vol up and Power, if thats does not work , Press the Power button, or Vol up.
Step 7 Recovery menu options should appear, select apply update from SDCARD.
Step 8 Enjoy

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I saw a decrease in wifi download speeds after updating, but pulling the battery seems to have corrected that (but I can't imagine why). Wifi uploads are dramatically better post-update.

3G, on the other hand, is basically unchanged. (This is via my Airave.) I don't get a 4G signal at my house, so testing that will have to wait until later.

My primary concern has been the dropped voice calls and sudden loss of data connectivity without loss of signal strength. That will take time to determine, unless the Nexus has some sort of internal connection log of which I am unaware.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I saw a decrease in wifi download speeds after updating, but pulling the battery seems to have corrected that (but I can't imagine why). Wifi uploads are dramatically better post-update.

3G, on the other hand, is basically unchanged. (This is via my Airave.) I don't get a 4G signal at my house, so testing that will have to wait until later.

My primary concern has been the dropped voice calls and sudden loss of data connectivity without loss of signal strength. That will take time to determine, unless the Nexus has some sort of internal connection log of which I am unaware.

I don't think the device disconnecting from data and reconnecting is the devices fault. I have never had this issue with the phone; but, now, the last week this happens at work here and there. And my signal at work went from full to bouncing between 3 and 0. I haven't updated yet. And this just started happening last week.

I think it's a service issue.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the device disconnecting from data and reconnecting is the devices fault. I have never had this issue with the phone; but, now, the last week this happens at work here and there. And my signal at work went from full to bouncing between 3 and 0. I haven't updated yet. And this just started happening last week.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/102749-07-12-2011-national-network-issues.html

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure why pulling the battery works most of the time but it just does. Almost like a complete start over. Hopefully your 3G speeds will improve. I haven't seen a huge improvement in my 3G speeds. Just a slight increase.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site

To the poeple who have been having problems with download speeds. After the update have you updated your PRL and Profile? This might help. Also I would think about doing a full battery pull reset. I was having speed problems and the update really helped me. Just a thought.

Its funny that you mention a PRL update. I just got back from a Sprint Store, where I had taken my NS4G in for service after GRJ90 did nothing to resolve my signal issues. After the tech worked on it for 20 minutes or so, I came back from lunch and they said they fixed it with a PRL update and reprovisioning data (Update Profile). I found that pretty interesting since PRL and Profile updates have been failing on my phone since the text message outage a couple weeks ago. After I left and got my phone back, I checked the PRL version, and surprise, surprise, it was still the old 60679 version that its been on for the last couple months (latest is 60680). I don't know if they intentionally lied to me, or if the tech is incompetent and doesn't know how to do a PRL update.

When I asked about how this addresses my 4G issues, they did some more diagnostics and after 45 minutes determined that my 4G antenna is bad and they're going to give me a replacement phone. Something tells me I'll be back soon.... (luckily the Photon comes out on Sunday, maybe they'll go for that as a replacement!)

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That had been my original thought, too, but I've run parallel tests in a quasi-controlled environment (my office), and the other devices connected through the wifi and/or 3G has held connection without a hitch. I've tested it with three different wifi routers in the house, too, with the same results.

Of course, it is possible that the problem comes when the men in black sitting in the white panel van across the street shoot my house full of microwave control signals, but they usually only do that at night, when they *think* I'm sleeping.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That had been my original thought, too, but I've run parallel tests in a quasi-controlled environment (my office), and the other devices connected through the wifi and/or 3G has held connection without a hitch. I've tested it with three different wifi routers in the house, too, with the same results.

Of course, it is possible that the problem comes when the men in black sitting in the white panel van across the street shoot my house full of microwave control signals, but they usually only do that at night, when they *think* I'm sleeping.

I'll attest to the wifi being horrible. I have that issue.

But as my 3g has always worked in this location up until last week without problems: maybe it's device specific but still has something to do with the network problems they've been having. As I know experience this issue where I did not before.

I don't know. lol. It "works" for me. But the day Verizon gets a nexus...

kynov

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Its funny that you mention a PRL update. I just got back from a Sprint Store, where I had taken my NS4G in for service after GRJ90 did nothing to resolve my signal issues. After the tech worked on it for 20 minutes or so, I came back from lunch and they said they fixed it with a PRL update and reprovisioning data (Update Profile). I found that pretty interesting since PRL and Profile updates have been failing on my phone since the text message outage a couple weeks ago. After I left and got my phone back, I checked the PRL version, and surprise, surprise, it was still the old 60679 version that its been on for the last couple months (latest is 60680). I don't know if they intentionally lied to me, or if the tech is incompetent and doesn't know how to do a PRL update.

When I asked about how this addresses my 4G issues, they did some more diagnostics and after 45 minutes determined that my 4G antenna is bad and they're going to give me a replacement phone. Something tells me I'll be back soon.... (luckily the Photon comes out on Sunday, maybe they'll go for that as a replacement!)

Now that I just read this post, I tried updating the profile and PRL on mine too. They keep failing no matter what I try. Wifi on, wifi off, reboot, etc. It will not update. I am currently on PRL P:01115

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Now that I just read this post, I tried updating the profile and PRL on mine too. They keep failing no matter what I try. Wifi on, wifi off, reboot, etc. It will not update. I am currently on PRL P:01115

Same, but im still on the old software version. I already had 60680 though.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Your running 2.3.5? The first rumor said something about fixing this issue. Did it? I have one Nexus that will update both PRL and Profile; and, mine which will not. Have not done anything to either phone. Both completely stock never rooted and never flash anything.

For the first week or two of having both phones they both would update fine. Now only one does. Weird.

kynov

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Your running 2.3.5? The first rumor said something about fixing this issue. Did it? I have one Nexus that will update both PRL and Profile; and, mine which will not. Have not done anything to either phone. Both completely stock never rooted and never flash anything.

For the first week or two of having both phones they both would update fine. Now only one does. Weird.

Yes, I am running 2.3.5.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

My market place app is real slow to open after a reboot, is anyone else's like this?
I'm thinking about a reset?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

My market place app is real slow to open after a reboot, is anyone else's like this?
I'm thinking about a reset?
New Market or old Market? The old Market was one of the few apps that would lag for me on the first opening. The new one is even slower.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

This update, has been very underwhelming. In fact I actually got much faster speeds with my Wi-Fi/3G/4G before the update. Now I am constantly stuck at 2 bars 3G. Cant even get a 4G signal in places where I had no problem before.

Ive updated my PRL & Profile successfully, did a battery pull.....at this point I am lost