Advice? Should I get/would you recommend the Nexus S 4G?

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm finally in the position of being able to jettison my horrific launch day Palm Pre (don't get me started). After getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7 in) I fell in LOVE with Android. I have not quite decided which Sprint phone I want to get, but I like the specs of the Samsung Nexus S 4G. However, I am just not sure yet. I feel like I made such a huge horrific mistake with the Palm Pre that I am literally unnerved by the prospect of getting another phone. So, any advice/suggestions/comparisons that ya'all might offer would be much appreciated. BTW, I cannot wait much longer to get another phone as this Pre is falling apart. I hate it. It's down to a matter of days (maybe two weeks) before I absolutely need to replace this phone.

Thanks!
:)

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The best thing you can do is go to a sprint store and mess with a couple of devices see what feel's best to you, I suggest trying the nexus S 4g and the Evo 3D as they are the best at the moment. I have the NS4G and it's the best device I have owned :p

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The best thing you can do is go to a sprint store and mess with a couple of devices see what feel's best to you, I suggest trying the nexus S 4g and the Evo 3D as they are the best at the moment. I have the NS4G and it's the best device I have owned :p
Thanks! I did go into the Sprint store and toyed with the NS4G. The Evo 3D was not out yet, but I am not sure that I want a phone that is that "top" heavy on all of the pre-loaded bloatwear. Also, I am kind of a google fangirl, so that makes the NS4G attractive. Coming from the Palm Pre, I am looking for a phone that also gets a good many updates (they are like opening a present!). The *only* thing that has me concerned about the NS4G are the signal issues that have been reported far and wide. I would like a phone that "does it all" but can also function as a phone when I need it to. Am I reading it correctly that the 3G tethering that is out of the box on NS4G is FREE? Because, wow, that could be a deciding factor. I am kind of on the fence, but oh so close to hopping over the NS4G. Although, I suppose I should at least look at the Evo 3D (it just seems so gimmicky to me).

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea the 3D is a gimmick in my opinion, and yes the nexus will get updated quickly it's googles device. Their have have been some problems with the signal some devices more than others (mine seems fine) but their is supposed to be an update starting monday to address those, and yes you can tether out of the box another perk of having the nexus.

Reactions: wordweaver

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't listen to the connection issue people. It only seems that way because everyone complains when something seems to not work right, then they trick themselves into believing it when they read it. Mine gas worked perfect since day one. I was also coming from a pre. I can tell you I have forgotten all about webos. The nexus is fast and has everything you can want. Just wait til you try it the first time. Its great

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't listen to the connection issue people. It only seems that way because everyone complains when something seems to not work right, then they trick themselves into believing it when they read it. Mine gas worked perfect since day one. I was also coming from a pre. I can tell you I have forgotten all about webos. The nexus is fast and has everything you can want. Just wait til you try it the first time. Its great

Thanks! Why is buying phones so difficult?! Decisions, decisions! I am leaning toward getting N4GS. It looks plenty powerful enough for what I want. Something I don't understand: How is mobile hotspot free? Sprint charges for that, don't they? Also, the other issue I have is that Sprint does not yet have 4G in my area. As of 12 months ago the line at the Sprint store is "within the next 3-4 months" which is BS. It's kind of why I waited so long to replace the Pre. I was hoping we would get 4G. I completely resent the idea of having to pay the 4G "tariff" if we're not getting it. So, the Evo 3D has more power, but less on board memory, it has a better ff camera, and the 3D "gimmick", but it is preloaded with all the Sprint bloatwear. Hmmm. Rght now the only thing that might entice me to Evo3D is if the rear facing camera can zoom. That is a frustration on the Pre.

Am I missing anything else? Battery life concerns? Sound issues?

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Why is buying phones so difficult?! Decisions, decisions! I am leaning toward getting N4GS. It looks plenty powerful enough for what I want. Something I don't understand: How is mobile hotspot free? Sprint charges for that, don't they? Also, the other issue I have is that Sprint does not yet have 4G in my area. As of 12 months ago the line at the Sprint store is "within the next 3-4 months" which is BS. It's kind of why I waited so long to replace the Pre. I was hoping we would get 4G. I completely resent the idea of having to pay the 4G "tariff" if we're not getting it. So, the Evo 3D has more power, but less on board memory, it has a better ff camera, and the 3D "gimmick", but it is preloaded with all the Sprint bloatwear. Hmmm. Rght now the only thing that might entice me to Evo3D is if the rear facing camera can zoom. That is a frustration on the Pre.

Am I missing anything else? Battery life concerns? Sound issues?

Vanilla Google devices have a free tether app, and Sprint can't dictate what you do with it. So you can have free tethering with the Nexus S. As for 4G, well that $10 charge is not for 4G. It's for unlimited data. People get that mixed up. EVO 3D has more memory and faster processor, although from benchmarks it's the slowest dual-core device out there. Better camera? From the testing I did, the Nexus produced much better shots. MP's mean nothing... 3D is a gimmick, and almost every reviewer spoke of only the EVO 3D giving them a headache. Digital zoom on any camera, including point and shoots is garbage and ruins the quality of a picture. Everybody seems to think having that is good, no digital is bad. They want optical, but most get optical and digital mixed up. If it had a optical zoom lens, then that would be awesome. Unfortunately they are too small to do so.

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vanilla Google devices have a free tether app, and Sprint can't dictate what you do with it. So you can have free tethering with the Nexus S. As for 4G, well that $10 charge is not for 4G. It's for unlimited data. People get that mixed up. EVO 3D has more memory and faster processor, although from benchmarks it's the slowest dual-core device out there. Better camera? From the testing I did, the Nexus produced much better shots. MP's mean nothing... 3D is a gimmick, and almost every reviewer spoke of only the EVO 3D giving them a headache. Digital zoom on any camera, including point and shoots is garbage and ruins the quality of a picture. Everybody seems to think having that is good, no digital is bad. They want optical, but most get optical and digital mixed up. If it had a optical zoom lens, then that would be awesome. Unfortunately they are too small to do so.
Thanks for all of the clarification! However, I have a Palm Pre with unlimited Data and if I switch to any 4G device on Sprint, I have to pay an extra $10 a month. It is not for data -- it *is* for the 4G. I have checked, re-checked, and called corporate to beatch about it because it is cr@p to charge for something that is not available in our area. Sprint does not budge though. So, if you get the 4G device and live in a 3G area, you have to pay the "tariff." I think that after reading the message boards here, that I will definitely get the Nexus. With the updates I am sure that any signal issues will be resolved. I can't think of another phone that might work better for what I need (Photon? maybe just because it's a World phone). But, I need a phone now, not a month or two from now. Just wondering if I should order from Amazon? (Amazon has Nexus 4GS cheaper than anywhere else I have seen it). I have heard good things about getting phones from them, just not sure if Sprint would honor the 30 Day policy. They would have to, right? :-$

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the clarification! However, I have a Palm Pre with unlimited Data and if I switch to any 4G device on Sprint, I have to pay an extra $10 a month. It is not for data -- it *is* for the 4G. I have checked, re-checked, and called corporate to beatch about it because it is cr@p to charge for something that is not available in our area. Sprint does not budge though. So, if you get the 4G device and live in a 3G area, you have to pay the "tariff." I think that after reading the message boards here, that I will definitely get the Nexus. With the updates I am sure that any signal issues will be resolved. I can't think of another phone that might work better for what I need (Photon? maybe just because it's a World phone). But, I need a phone now, not a month or two from now. Just wondering if I should order from Amazon? (Amazon has Nexus 4GS cheaper than anywhere else I have seen it). I have heard good things about getting phones from them, just not sure if Sprint would honor the 30 Day policy. They would have to, right? :-$
From what I understand, the previous poster is correct; the $10 fee is not specifically for 4g - anymore. They used to charge $10 for 4g, but now it is a 'smartphone' charge. So, all the smartphones, save the Replenish, require the $10 charge. Replienish is a recycled green phone and so the fee is waived.

In regards to free tethering, I have read mixed opinions; but, as of now, it is totally free out of the box, but after the update on July 11th, who can say. Some here claim that rooting is easy (to get free wireless tethering), but I have never done it and am a bit apprehensive about it - nevertheless, the Nexus S 4g has been said by many to be the easiest phone to root.

About updates, the Nexus S 4g is in fact the most up to date phone in regards to software - even now. The Evo 3d just came out and is running Android 2.3.3 while the Nexus is, and has been for a while, running 2.3.4.

Finally, I again agree with a previous poster, digital zoom on a phone is not that good - a non factor really. Digital zoom just makes a picture worse on a phone and the Nexus S 4g seems to have a better camera - sans digital zoom.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the clarification! However, I have a Palm Pre with unlimited Data and if I switch to any 4G device on Sprint, I have to pay an extra $10 a month. It is not for data -- it *is* for the 4G. I have checked, re-checked, and called corporate to beatch about it because it is cr@p to charge for something that is not available in our area.

Actually, if you switch to ANY new smartphone regardless if it has 4g or not you will pay the $10 fee.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe there is still confusion on the $10 a month charge. When I first got my EVO people were arguing about it. It was never for 4g, it was for true unlimited data on smartphones. Sprint really needs to train their employees better

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And, to answer the original question, yes. I just went from an EVO to a Nexus after waiting to see the disappointment that is the EVO3D. The Nexus is the best phone available on Sprint right now

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe there is still confusion on the $10 a month charge. When I first got my EVO people were arguing about it. It was never for 4g, it was for true unlimited data on smartphones. Sprint really needs to train their employees better

You are 100% wrong, the $10 data charge started out as a 4g surcharge that was mandatory on all 4g phones. They changed that after so many people complained about being charged for 4g even though they weren't in a 4g area.

Now they say it is for premium data.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, according to memory and internet searches, you are %100 wrong. " The $10 Premium Data fee is for the rich data experience that HTC EVO provides." " These data-rich features are available to EVO customers regardless if they are in a 3G or 4G network." Both direct quotes from a Dan Hess email sent to a customer inquiring about the charge before the EVO even came out. Original advertisements for the EVO called it a $10 premium data plan.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but other than the idiots who work in the stores, I have yet to see anything from sprint that ever officially said that was for 4g. It Google's my mind that it is still confusing people to this day. I thought this got settled about a week after the original EVO came out

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm sooty, I wanted to clarify that. Those were responses from Sprint to emails sent to the Dan@sprint.... There are numerous responses like that from Sprint in forums all over the net from before and after the EVO came out. Still haven't seen one saying the opposite.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
gentlemen....the $10 is for unlimited premium data.....The only smartphone that is not required to carry this charge is the Samsung Replenish as one of the guys above said...this does not matter if you are in a 4g market or not...

it is a much better deal than what other carriers are offering for data...I believe VZ has now caved to data plans starting at 30 bucks for 2gbs..i think 10gbs at 80....Tmob has unlimited data...but throttles you when you go over 2gb...at&t similar restrictions....

hopefully sprint stays smart and stays with unlimited data for 10 bucks...main reason why i dumped tmob...halfway through the billing cycle and my data is throttled....:(

the free tethering is nice..its not the fastest but works well enough...im guessing it will work better with the new update since that addresses signal issues...but not complaining because its free....rather than having to pay for the service...

if you can get used to the fact it has no led notification and the camera doesnt zoom....then this is the device for you....although i was bummed by the lack of led...i dont even care anymore...in fact its nice not knowing sometimes someones texting....just train yourself to look at your phone every 10 mins or so :D

with the camera zoom...you can zoom in on your photo after taken...other than that...i would recommend...dont forget to dwnld beta.swype...will make your life easier

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if you switch to ANY new smartphone regardless if it has 4g or not you will pay the $10 fee.
Oh, wow, they did change the policy then. Thanks to all of you for clarifying that. I looked into new devices about a year ago but did not take the leap because of the stupid 4G charge. Since we don't have 4G goodness yet here, it didn't make sense to switch.

I LOVE the idea of getting quick updates. For example, Sprint finally rolled out the Gingerbread update on my Galaxy Tab at like 3 AM this morning and THAT was like candy! :cool:

Have any of you purchased phones via Amazon yet? They have the NS4G for $49 new line and $99 upgrade line. That is the cheapest that I have seen the phone. Sprint still has it for $149 on their website. I just wonder if getting it through Amazon is a problem should something be wrong with the phone. Then again, Amazon is awesome as far as returns and customer care. Let me know if you have an input on that.

LuckyLucky

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is something I've been contemplating after owing the 3D for a week. My 30-day trial period is up in a good two weeks, so I need to decide soon.

The 3D is probably the overall better device as it is more powerful/modern, but the size, sleekness, free tethering, and battery life of the Nexus S have me considering switching more and more everyday. My only problem is being on old hardware until the end of the two-year contract (2013, damn Sprint changing the yearly upgrade policy). I mean, the Nexus One is a year old and it can still hold it's own (with rooting, of course).

I might wait until after the update to see if Sprint decides to remove the free tethering to decide. I hope not.

nexus4ever

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You should definitely get the Nexus.I have had it for a few weeks now, and also had a Palm Pre and then an Evo. I went to get the Evo 3d on launch day and walked out with the Nexus. Absolutely the best phone I have ever had and the best phone on Sprint right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol