Advice? Should I get/would you recommend the Nexus S 4G?

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you purchased phones via Amazon yet? They have the NS4G for $49 new line and $99 upgrade line. That is the cheapest that I have seen the phone. Sprint still has it for $149 on their website. I just wonder if getting it through Amazon is a problem should something be wrong with the phone. Then again, Amazon is awesome as far as returns and customer care. Let me know if you have an input on that.

I got upgrade from Amazon Wireless for $99. It was easy, seamless, and quick. I think I got the phone in two days. I think Sprint is better since they handle the initial servicing so if there's a problem, you can take it back there. If I was doing this now, I would probably pay $50 extra for Sprint for ease. But when I bought it, the difference was $100 (Sprint at $199). It's up to you how you want to go, but Amazon was fine. I would recommend them.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This may be a real silly question, but of curiosity, why do you need to install apps from the market that are already on the phone? Seems odd to me. Why don't the pre-installed apps simply update themselves as other apps do?

They can if you set them for autoupdate by checking the checkbox on their respective market page.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about getting a Nexus S 4G as it is free at Best Buy again for upgrades. I have been using an Epic for the past year and my wife got a Nexus S a couple of weeks ago. She likes it a lot but I haven't played with it too much. I keep reading about radio problems with the Nexus S but so far my wife hasn't experienced any reception issues or dropped calls.

After living with your Nexus S for a while do you recommend it to others and would you buy it again? Do you have radio problems?

Thanks in advance!

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm contemplating the Nexus S 4G. I currently have a FrankenPre2 (*) running on Sprint. The deal at best buy is very tempting. I really like webOS and the Pre2 is what the Pre *should* have been. But after this week's news that BestBuy wants to return all of its unsold TouchPads due to inability to get them off the shelf, I'm coming to the opinion that webOS is never going to catch up. And I'm tired of the limited app selection.

My hesitation stems from reading these forums and hearing of radio problems. I had (and continue to have) radio problems with my Pre. I have had 6 (I think) different Palm Pre's and all of them had signal lock issues. E.g. where w/in 30s or so, my signal would go from 5 bars to 0 to 3 to 5 and bounce all over the place. I'm worried that this persist with the NS4G.

Also, I *really* love the touchstone. I have 3 of them: one at work, one in my car and one at home. I suspect this may be the deal breaker for me. But I've got a few hours left before I decide.

I don't really think I have a question. Just thinking & writing at the same time. Thanks for the forum to let me get this off my chest!

(*) That is, a Verizon Palm Pre 2 with the communication board of my launch day sprint palm pre. Allows the Pre2 to run on Sprint. Details: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I came to the NS4G from a Pre-

Do some Nexus's have radio problems? Probably. Do most of those problems stem from an unstable Sprint network? Probably.

My one house is a signal nightmare due to the lead in the windows. My Pre and my Nexus got the same coverage in the same rooms of the house. In some instances the Nexus was better. After the recent update the Nexus was even better. This past week though I noticed it's a LOT better which also coincides with Sprint doing some network work in the area.

I too missed the Touchstone for like a day. Everything else that the Nexus and Android in general have to offer greatly outweigh the Touchstone convenience. I still keep my old Pre as an alarm clock and I'll occasionally fire it back up over WiFi to see what's new in homebrew.

My bottom line is WebOS is dead. Palm had chance after chance to make a dent and they didn't. HP has been extremely disappointing with their handling of WebOS. The TouchPad is a great device at the discounted price, but they're still dropping the ball on simple things like running that horrible demo version of WebOS on their demo units.

If you want to try something different, the Nexus is a great device and I have no problem recommending it to people. But this is also that rough time of year where the fall and holiday devices are right around the corner. If your Pre isn't melting or blowing up, you might want to wait. Unless the free price is a huge factor for you.

trickyhero

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I changed from a pre also.I miss card a and the is but the apps are worth it. Before I got the nexus it was embarrassing I couldn't find any apps.

mobile79

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
So the Nexus is now 29.99 through Sprint. I just picked up a Photon a couple weeks ago and love it, but also contemplating a tablet purchase. I may return the Photon for this because from what I can tell it's still an awesome phone, and $170.00 cheaper. As long as I know signal is not going to be a problem.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Obviously a Nexus for $30 is more attractive than a Photon for $200. But imagine that these phones where the same price. Would you still choose a Nexus?

Things that attract me to the photon:
  • Bigger screen
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Dual core
  • World phone
  • Has sprint apps - I like NASCAR
  • Bigger battery

Things that attract me to the Nexus
  • Cheaper
  • Better looking (IMHO)
  • Google phone - hopefully quicker updates - wonder if google buying moto will have an impact here for photon...
  • More hackable

I know this is a nexus forum, but I'm curious about Nexus owners opinions, and if the photon induces buyer's remorse.

Last edited:

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Obviously a Nexus for $30 is more attractive than a Photon for $200. But imagine that these phones where the same price. Would you still choose a Nexus?

• Bigger screen
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Dual core
  • World phone

• Cheaper
  • Better looking (IMHO)
  • Google phone - hopefully quicker updates - wonder if google buying moto will have an impact here for photon...

I know this is a nexus forum, but I'm curious about Nexus owners opinions, and if the photon induces buyer's remorse.

Well you can get NASCAR and visual voicemail in the sprint section of the market.

From Nexus with love

Reactions: dullgeek

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

• Bigger screen
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Dual core
  • World phone
  • Bigger battery

• Cheaper
  • Better looking (IMHO)
  • More hackable

I can't argue with the bigger screen or world phone, but here are my responses. Nexus has a slightly smaller, but very nice screen. Nexus is much more sleek, which I prefer to 4.3" screened phones. Photon might have a bigger battery, but does it use it as well? I get a day easy with moderate to heavy use on my Nexus. VV and NASCAR are available to install, or use GV for VV. Lastly, no one can really see the benefits of the dual core yet. In every day tasks, the Nexus is as fast or faster than the 3D and Photon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

Reactions: dullgeek

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about getting a Nexus S 4G as it is free at Best Buy again for upgrades. I have been using an Epic for the past year and my wife got a Nexus S a couple of weeks ago. She likes it a lot but I haven't played with it too much. I keep reading about radio problems with the Nexus S but so far my wife hasn't experienced any reception issues or dropped calls.

After living with your Nexus S for a while do you recommend it to others and would you buy it again? Do you have radio problems?

Thanks in advance!

I just got off the phone with Best Buy - they have a Free Phone Wednesday that runs from time to time - where upgrade and new customers are BOTH eligible for the free phone. This last Wednesday was a Free Phone Wednesday - it was a one day sale that ran in the ads and expired when they closed their doors that night. I bought my phone on Sunday and asked if they would price match from that one day and the girl said it would be up to the manager on duty. I might have to go up there and chew someone out this weekend. It pisses me off that I paid $100 bucks for something that was free three days later. For those of you wanting a great deal on this phone, don't get me wrong - $99 bucks is STILL a great deal. And Best Buy will buy your old phone from you. Now that I really think about it - I don't even know how they would give me a credit because I used the gift card that I got when I traded in the EVO. I am going to try though... 100 bucks is a 100 bucks anyway you think about it.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I will be taking my step into the Nexus S 4g this coming week. I'm coming from the Samsung Epic 4g and I'm actually very excited. At first I was a little hesitant due to not having a physical keyboard and a few other minor changes but then I started to think "long term".

1. Nexus will continue to receive updates.
2. It will most likely see ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) the next OS update in a few months.
3. Its a developers phone so things are normally designed around this device first before anything else.
4. It really is a great device, for the few hardware "goodies" it might not have verses other devices it does have one thing many others don't. The software and hardware are matched/optimized to work with each other at peak performance levels.
5. If you root the Nexus your options are virtually endless! You can run AOSP, Cyanogen Mod 7 builds, Oxygen, MIUI and many other custom built ROMs. So you have basically the best of all worlds on one device for root junkies.

This is my opinions from current knowledge and stuff I have read and researched and I can't wait to get my hands on the actual device this coming week :)

Reactions: intheb0x

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

• Bigger screen
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Dual core
  • World phone
  • Bigger battery

• Cheaper
  • Better looking (IMHO)
  • More hackable

Just to comment on a few things you put up about the Photon verses the Nexus.

World phone
Has sprint apps - I like NASCAR
Bigger battery
1. World Phone, nice option but this only really benefits those who work/travel between countries. Not that its a useless option but isn't a big selling point in my opinion. Another reason I say this is, if my company wanted me to travel around the globe I would be think they should be able to afford a "company" phone for me to use that supports world capabilities and not have to use my own phone, but this is an entirely different subject and off topic :p

2. Sprint Apps, Photon has them right out of the box. Nexus can receive these same apps easily by following the guide [How-To] Get Sprint Nascar, Football, Nav, TV on your NS4G

3. Bigger Battery. The Photon should be sporting a bigger battery simply for the fact its a dual core which will be using up more battery verses a single core. I know there is much debate about this and they say dual core will eventually be optimized to run better battery than single cores but at the moment I don't believe the developers have harnesses this "code" or technology yet into the apps/OS to take advantage of this yet.

So other than a bigger screen and visual voice mail I think the Nexus S stacks ups very well against the Photon.

mrpre5

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Best device ever. All Google, no Sense crap or anything on top of android. Stock Android 2.3. No bloatware, only Google apps. Very fast. No waiting for Sprint updates, all updates will be from Google.

Get it!

The Photon is ugly. Motorola software is very ugly and laggy for a dual core phone. The Nexus S superamoled kills the Photons screen. Nexus has a better battery because it only has stock android and no overlay running in the background killing battery. The dual core is a gimmick. The Nexus S is comparable and right up there with most dual core phones. I'd say the SGS 2 is the only legitimate dual core phone.

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance!
I would certainly recommend the NS4G or recommend waiting for Prime ;) As soon as Prime is released I will use the upgrade on my second line to get one. I love how streamlined and slick the NS4G is especially compared to Photon, which feels clunky and enormous to me. I have a 7 in Galaxy Tab, so if I need a bigger screen I can always defer to that one. I have had no problems with radio issues or anything like that. I can say that before the update, my wifi signals weren't as reliable. Since the update they seem fine.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Having owned the EVO 4G for a year, then the EVO-3D for a few weeks, which I returned for the Nexus-S 4G, I can say the Nexus is hands down my favorite of the three devices.

Once rooted with a good ROM and kernel, get the Voodoo app running to tweak the colors on the screen, and holy cow, the screen is drop dead beautiful, very deep blacks, and bright colors, it looks amazing. I love the form factor, it fits in the hand perfectly, very lightweight, but still solid. And the size is just right, 4" is the sweet spot, 3.5" iPhone is too small, but 4.3" is almost border line too large ( actually the best screen size is 4.2" )

With the Oxygen ROM, which is just a tweak of the pure stock OS the phone comes with, it is easily on par speed and smoothness with my EVO-3D, which has twice as better spec's, seriously the Nexus does feel faster than the EVO-3D. Dual Core is not ready for prime time yet on Android, it needs 4.0 "Ice Cream" to really be taken advantage of. Only future phone for me is the next Nexus, I have read on the forums even guys with the Galaxy S2 still like the Nexus better.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, but when Photon went on sale for $100 today @ BestBuy, I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it's the right decision. I have 30 days to decide.

wbkm85

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
only thing i have noticed is worse service, otherwise i love the phone. love the way it feels and looks and performs.

one of the best i've ever used, ever. it's so nice not having all the sprint bloatware on it too. i came from the evo and that was full of it.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, but when Photon went on sale for $100 today @ BestBuy, I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it's the right decision. I have 30 days to decide.

Be careful and read about best buys return policy, I heard its iffy.

I just got the nexus for 30 at my sprint store.
I love it.
The sprint store guy said that he would avoid the evo3d the most and the photon the second and get the nexus over both of them.
He said ppl are returning photons and 3ds often due to signal issues and other stuff.
Only thing that angers me about sprints thirty day is if you exchange they don't "refresh" your thirty day trial period even if you opt to pay the 35 dollar restock fee.

Only issues I have with the nexus is no visual voicemail, but ppl say you can use gvoice for vmail and vmail only.
Other thing is no sd slot.
But at only 30 dollars at sprint its the best phone for the money hands down.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz