Keep my EVO 3D or switch to Nexus S 4G

Keep EVO 3D or Switch to Nexus S

• Total voters

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So I got the 3D on release date and it runs fine, nothing special, not the best battery life, but it works. I really would like to be a developer though. The 3D would not be the best for this. The Nexus S is great. I am worried about not having a dual core for the next 14 months.( Used my dads upgrade.) So here it is, does the Nexus S give you too many problems, or is it perfect for me. (Dont mind stock ui) Please help!!!! Only two more weeks till my 30 days are up!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would also wait a few days to see if the rumored update that's supposed to drop on Monday fixes the signal problem some NS4G phones have. I'm considering swapping my Evo out for the NS4G myself, but I'm waiting to see what happens with the update first.

Side note: if you want a dev phone on Sprint, the NS4G is by far your best choice currently.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is a tough choice - many of us have struggled with it. In the end, the decisions rests with the user; if you are a phone-gamer, then there is no way you should pass up the Evo 3d, however, if you want a solid all-around phone, then the Ns4g should be your phone. It seems, that you want to try developing, so then go for the NS4G - whatever you develop for the NS4G should work on just about every Android phone, but the same may not be true with the Evo 3d.

Also, as the poster above wrote, it would perhaps be best to see how the update (July 11th+) affects the phone.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is a tough choice - many of us have struggled with it. In the end, the decisions rests with the user; if you are a phone-gamer, then there is no way you should pass up the Evo 3d, however, if you want a solid all-around phone, then the Ns4g should be your phone. It seems, that you want to try developing, so then go for the NS4G - whatever you develop for the NS4G should work on just about every Android phone, but the same may not be true with the Evo 3d.

Also, as the poster above wrote, it would perhaps be best to see how the update (July 11th+) affects the phone.

Games run smoother on the NS4G... Its really not even close man... Nothing touches that tegra on the optimus t mobile phone though for gaming...

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Keep the 3D. I'm returning my NS4G as it's annoying this ish out of me. Battery life sucks and the time it takes to charge does as well. I love the screen, the pure google experience and the awesome cam, but if I can't use it through half a work day w/o needing a charge, then I can't keep it.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Keep the 3D. I'm returning my NS4G as it's annoying this ish out of me. Battery life sucks and the time it takes to charge does as well. I love the screen, the pure google experience and the awesome cam, but if I can't use it through half a work day w/o needing a charge, then I can't keep it.

The Evo 3D gets even worse battery life from what all the reviews are saying.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well to be honest these are smart phones if you want great battery life go back to flip phones ;p Until battery tech catches up get a second battery or be near an outlet. Oh and get the nexus it is far and above a better device regardless.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Wow, something must be wrong, or you use your phone non stop - the Nexus should last longer than the Evo 3D.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

From all the testing I did, the EVO 3D couldn't come close to lasting the amount of time the Nexus S could. I tested on 3G, 4G, and WiFi and all results came out the Nexus S lasting a few hours longer.

Irate Iguana

Boss Status
Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am considering switching to sprint soon, and if I do and buy this, do you think it would last the two years until the next contract upgrade? Or would I be better off forking over the extra cash and getting the evo 3D?

evilhugbear

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I am considering switching to sprint soon, and if I do and buy this, do you think it would last the two years until the next contract upgrade? Or would I be better off forking over the extra cash and getting the evo 3D?

I would also like to know this. I think it depends on the 3D getting Ice Cream Sandwich.

I don't know much about android (Don't have an android phone, yet :p.) but from what I've read, it's not multithreaded right now.

If this is true, the 3D will be amazing with Ice Cream Sandwich, because it's supposed to support multithreading, right?

evoldroid

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the ns4g. My battery life is great last me all day. I get up at 7am and have to swap batteries around 8pm. The only gripe i have is the low volume when watching youtube. If i had to pick between the two again i would go with ns4g

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know this. I think it depends on the 3D getting Ice Cream Sandwich.

I don't know much about android (Don't have an android phone, yet :p.) but from what I've read, it's not multithreaded right now.

If this is true, the 3D will be amazing with Ice Cream Sandwich, because it's supposed to support multithreading, right?

Given HTC's record with upgrading phones and the Evo 3D's flagship status, it's a near certainty that the 3D will get ICS not too long after it comes out (if ICS drops in November for example, I'd expect it to be on the 3D by February). The original EVO was bumped to Froyo from Eclair about six weeks after launch. Gingerbread took a lot longer (June) but it did get it. Also, if HTC holds to their promise to unlock the bootloader on the Evo 3D, you won't have to worry about updates if you're willing to root. Note that rooting is about as simple as can be on the NS4G, if that's of any interest to you, and the NS4G will get updates very quickly anyway since it's stock Google.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I also got the 3D on launch day. Had it for a little more then a week and then switched to the Nexus S. My reasons behind it are that i just wanted to have a pure google experience. First to get updates and not have to wait for the carries to do their testings and overlay as well as the manufacturers. The camera button on the 3D also felt really flimsy and didnt seem like it would last me through my next upgrade 22 months away. I love Sense and i do miss my Evo phones. But my nexus is awsome and having some of the best battery life i have every had with a stock battery.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I really wasn't saying that the Nexus S 4G was better or worse in the battery department, but it doesn't take the 3D as long as the Nexus does to charge.

Last edited:

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I really wasn't saying that the Nexus S 4G was better or worse in the battery department, but it doesn't take the 3D as long as the Nexus does to charge.

Personally I think the Nexus charges pretty fast. Not sure why yours is taking so long.

It takes my phone about 45 min to charge from nearly drained to full.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Given HTC's record with upgrading phones and the Evo 3D's flagship status, it's a near certainty that the 3D will get ICS not too long after it comes out (if ICS drops in November for example, I'd expect it to be on the 3D by February). The original EVO was bumped to Froyo from Eclair about six weeks after launch. Gingerbread took a lot longer (June) but it did get it. Also, if HTC holds to their promise to unlock the bootloader on the Evo 3D, you won't have to worry about updates if you're willing to root. Note that rooting is about as simple as can be on the NS4G, if that's of any interest to you, and the NS4G will get updates very quickly anyway since it's stock Google.

Well to be fair, as Sense becomes more and more complicated it seems that HTC cannot update as quickly as perhaps they might have - flagship status or not - even now, they are running an older OS (2.3.3) than the Nexus S 4g (2.3.4), so HTC owners may have to wait not only for ICS to come out, but then for HTC to update. It is interesting that HTC's tablet is still not running Honeycomb, which has been out for a while already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay