Google Voice Sucks

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going through my texts and I received several text messages, but this damn app did not notify me at all. How do I completely disable it or shut it off and delete it completely. It's beginning to become a pain now and I'm quite sick of it.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Is it a full integration with your Sprint number or just a Google Voice number "on top of" your Sprint number?
What do your settings look like?

Synchronize Inbox?

Background Data?

Text Messages (notify via text message)

Inbox notifications (checked or unchecked?)

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the Google Voice account on your computer, select the phone, edit.....do you have Receive Text Messages On This Phone checked?

Disabling is easy enough, but make sure you absolutely want to do it. Some people, including myself, completely lost the option to turn it back on after disabling.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried signing out but it takes forever that I have to close it in Applications.

I did disable and then reaenable with no problems. But yes, I do have receive text messages checked, but if I uncheck that would it block all texts or just send through the native app?

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried signing out but it takes forever that I have to close it in Applications.

I did disable and then reaenable with no problems. But yes, I do have receive text messages checked, but if I uncheck that would it block all texts or just send through the native app?
I got the NS4G today, but the guy at the Sprint Corp. Store who set it up made sure that I wanted full integration (which I did). He said that some people misunderstand the notification process and it has caused all kinds of frustration. Basically, if you go to your apps and hit the "voice" icon, you will see all of your texts/notifications. This is, of course, according to the Sprint guy -- not me. I am a total newbie. But so far, I have to say he's been right. If I hit that voice icon, everything is there. I don't mind it since notifications are a learning curve on this phone anyway. Not sure if that helps, but it is what I was told. Good luck!

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use voice with your sprint number thu the default messaging app after you sign in, menu, more, settings, sync and notifications, turn off inbox notifications and turn on text messages, you won't get a notification in the status bar for voicemail but you can set it to email you. Hope that helps

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use voice with your sprint number thu the default messaging app after you sign in, menu, more, settings, sync and notifications, turn off inbox notifications and turn on text messages, you won't get a notification in the status bar for voicemail but you can set it to email you. Hope that helps

To simplify there are 3 settings all related to texts. Text notifications through a SMS app, Google voice inbox notification and sending texts to your phone (last one has to be done through the web) . Hope that helps

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I disabled mine too because of this issue. I think it's something to do with the updated version of the app.

I just disabled from the website. Then signed out of the app and back in and skipped integration for my voicemail.

If you want to keep all the GV+S Features but don't want to use the app (which is what the problem is right now) do this:

1- In the app: turn off notifications (First) and then turn off background data. Do it in this order of if the notifications actually decide to work they will still come through for whatever reason.

2- Go to the website or do it in the app: turn on text messages for that phone.

3- Go on the website and in the settings have it forward your voicemails to your email. Since the notifications aren't on - on the app you'll get them that way.

I just disabled it cause it was just a pain for me since there was always an issue. IE the app; and then the other day calls weren't forwarding to my cell.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys noticed a voice prompt when getting a phone call? It seems GV integration on my Evo3D is including something that causes a GV prompt when I first open the call (you have a call from ____ press 1 to accept or 2 to send to VM). I would like to keep the app so I can listen to VM when the google transcript text makes no sense, but this prompt is so stupid, I am ready to get rid of the app all together, but I feel I'm just missing something in settings, maybe on the website.

I don't want to incorporate GV to make or receive calls, just for a visual VM server. Obviously you guys have a different device, but it seems it is the Sprint/GV integration that is at fault with all these issues.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys noticed a voice prompt when getting a phone call? It seems GV integration on my Evo3D is including something that causes a GV prompt when I first open the call (you have a call from ____ press 1 to accept or 2 to send to VM). I would like to keep the app so I can listen to VM when the google transcript text makes no sense, but this prompt is so stupid, I am ready to get rid of the app all together, but I feel I'm just missing something in settings, maybe on the website.

I don't want to incorporate GV to make or receive calls, just for a visual VM server. Obviously you guys have a different device, but it seems it is the Sprint/GV integration that is at fault with all these issues.

Dig around in your Google Voice settings on the website. You can turn off this prompt. I just turned mine off a week or so ago. (and have since given up on Voice at all because of the dumb MMS and texts coming un numerous different ways.)

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Dig around in your Google Voice settings on the website. You can turn off this prompt.
this

I just turned mine off a week or so ago. (and have since given up on Voice at all because of the dumb MMS and texts coming un numerous different ways.)
you can make it so that all your messages go through the messaging app and GV only handles voicemails.

also to BigFire's other question.....you can turn off the prompt to ask you to use or not use GV before making each call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac