I was wondering if android has, like the iphone has facetime, an app that allows video chat. i stumbled upon google talk. how do i add my friends? do they have to have android phones or nexus s 4gs in order to talk with them with video?

i just joined, so sorry if there is a thread about thius already
    07-17-2011 06:29 AM
    They can chat via PC or android if running 2.3.4. Also its tied to their Gmail acct so the must have one of those as well. On PC a camera is also required. If the have all that you will see a camera icon next to their name.
    07-17-2011 09:15 AM
    I was wondering if android has, like the iphone has facetime, an app that allows video chat. i stumbled upon google talk. how do i add my friends? do they have to have android phones or nexus s 4gs in order to talk with them with video?

i just joined, so sorry if there is a thread about thius already
    On a browser, if you go to google.com/talk, you will get an option to add in a plug-in so that you can do vid chat from a browser to the phone too.
    07-17-2011 09:37 AM
    The problem with, which won't be in the future, Google Talk Video Chat is: you need a device running 2.3.4. I'm not sure off the top of my head but I think the Nexus is the only one with that version right now. But I saw some phones coming out with it. I know the Evo's got updated to 2.3.3.

However, like they said you can still use your Nexus to video chat with people on Google Talk via the computer. Which IMHO Google Talk is the best for phone to phone and phone to computer. It's the only video chat app that has worked right for me. There are a number of others in the market that are also available on iphone which just do phone to phone. But they never worked for me. Google talk works. Bottom line.

OOVOO is the only one I knew of that did phone to computer and it never worked even when I was on wifi connection.

Doesn't skype have video now too?
    07-17-2011 03:15 PM

Doesn't skype have video now too?
    Yes but only certain devices.
    07-17-2011 03:47 PM
    Yes but only certain devices.
    I knew that. But it will go to the computer though right?
    07-17-2011 04:09 PM
    I knew that. But it will go to the computer though right?
    Yup, mobile to mobile or mobile to computer.
    07-17-2011 04:34 PM
    So when I am chatting thru my gmail page I am using Goggle talk is that correct or are they 2 separate things.???
    07-18-2011 08:25 AM
    So when I am chatting thru my gmail page I am using Goggle talk is that correct or are they 2 separate things.???
    same thing. also cm7 nightlies for some devices are on 2.3.4. wife has an evolution and we used chat through that a few times. she has since drowned her evolution so she is no longer rooted.
    07-18-2011 08:55 AM
    While theres a topic about gtalk, when will they implement more into that app? I mean like to compete with BBM? Right now, the only thing you can do is chat, you cant send attachments or anything, just chat and group chat, and if you have 2.3.4 you can video chat. They need to make it be able to do more. These phones always send a ton of data so sending attachments shouldnt be a problem or hindrance.
    07-28-2011 10:10 AM
    Yup, mobile to mobile or mobile to computer.
    yeah...tested phone to PC at home. i was able to watch myself on the pc holding the phone watching myself on the pc. i think i broke some law of nature...
    07-28-2011 10:26 AM
    While theres a topic about gtalk, when will they implement more into that app? I mean like to compete with BBM? Right now, the only thing you can do is chat, you cant send attachments or anything, just chat and group chat, and if you have 2.3.4 you can video chat. They need to make it be able to do more. These phones always send a ton of data so sending attachments shouldnt be a problem or hindrance.
    You can chat.... infinite characters. You can audio chat... you can voice chat... and if you REALLY REALLY want to send an attachment... you already have that persons email address if their in your google talk list...

And when you add links to pictures or links to youtube. They come up in a little box that shows the picture/frame of the video.
    07-28-2011 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD