I just took my phone to Sprint to have them run a signal test on my phone. Of course, it managed to pass all the tests with flying colors (and I have bad 3G/4G/Wifi signal issues). I asked the tech what else we could do and he said nothing. He was about to send me packing when I remembered that we hired an ex-Sprint tech at my place of employment. I dropped his name and told the current sprint tech that my coworker also thought my phone had a signal issue. The Sprint tech then proceeds to take my phone back and run a few more tests. He managed to find a weird clicking noise when I update the PRL/profile on my phone, which I just thought was normal. You can hear the click thru the earpiece, so it's not a mechanical clicking noise. It's more of a GSM speaker interference noise. Now, I have a new phone on the way. Moral of the story, If you can't get your point across to someone, name drop.

Does anyone else have a clicking noise when updating PRL and/or Profile? If so, take your phone to Sprint.

I find myself both happy and disappointed with the outcome of this story.
    07-22-2011 09:15 AM
    I also have this happen to my phone. Didnt really think nothing of it. Did they get it fixed?
    07-22-2011 09:47 AM
    and what if you have no name to drop?
    07-22-2011 09:48 AM
    and what if you have no name to drop?
    I guess just make up names. That's what I'm going to do. Ken Magdalene, try that one.
    07-22-2011 09:50 AM
    this freakin thread
    07-22-2011 10:11 AM
    @Verdes8891 - They ordered me a new phone thru my insurance plan. I'll get it sometime next week. I didn't think much of clicking either but it baffled everyone in the store. He said it would save a lot of hassle to just order me a new phone. I wasn't about to disagree, lol.

@Tehman - that's kind of the point. Pretty ridiculous that I was about to be sent packing before I dropped my buddy's name. Sprint's customer service is seriously the worst I've ever dealt with. If I was going to make up a name, I'd go with "Holden McGroin".

@Chud - ?
    07-22-2011 10:20 AM
    I fail to see how this clicking sound is grounds for replacement. I hear it too...several folks have mentioned it. I think it's just whatever system it checks into to access the update...sort of like the old modems and the "handshake" sound we all grew to know and love.
    07-22-2011 10:50 AM
    I fail to see how this clicking sound is grounds for replacement. I hear it too...several folks have mentioned it. I think it's just whatever system it checks into to access the update...sort of like the old modems and the "handshake" sound we all grew to know and love.
    its only grounds for replacement if you "know a guy."
    07-22-2011 11:02 AM
    I had the clicking sound on my original one. It also rarely successfully updated profile or PRL. But my biggest issue was missed calls that went straight to voicemail. I brought it in, and was shunned away with "we're having network issues."

When I called customer service a week or so later, I was treated like a madman and when I asked to speak to someone more intelligent, I was transferred to a tech speaking a foreign language (not broken English... a real foreign language).

After these two incidents, I wrote to Dan@sprint.com and got a call a few days later. They were VERY apologetic and kissed my butt for a while and told me I had a standing open appointment with the manager of the store I bought my phone at.

They needed an hour to run some tests. When I returned later, they told me my phone "failed several antenna tests" and offered me a replacement EVO3D. I told them that I actually wanted just a Nexus S that worked. They brought out a couple of new boxes. The guy there looked in the battery compartment of both of them and then settled on one. I asked what he was doing and he said "checking the version". The only thing I see different in this one is an "11.05" where my old one was "11.04".

A few days in and my missed calls seem to be cured. I also see a higher WiFi signal (though my old one wasn't too shabby). It also seems that this screen is a little brighter on this one and the earpiece seems to stick out a little more. And back on topic, I dont here the PRL click and the update is successful every time.

Could this be a hardware fix to the radio problems you guys are having?.
    07-22-2011 11:42 AM
    @chud - This whole story was just to highlight how ridiculous sprint's customer service is. At no point was the intent to rub it in that I "knew a guy". If you took it that way, my apologies. My point was to inform people on this forum that Sprint didn't think the click was normal either and maybe you should have sprint check out your phone if you have this issue.

@gregg37 - interesting. I'm also on 11.04. I'll check the new phone when I receive it and let you know what it says. Good catch.
    07-22-2011 01:13 PM
    I didnt take it that your point was to rub anything in. I took it as they were trying to get you out of the store.
    07-22-2011 01:22 PM
    @chud - Cool man. I just didn't want to come off as an a$$hole. I really hate those "i know a guy and you don't" people and just wanted to clear that up.
    07-22-2011 01:28 PM
    That noise is normal.
    07-22-2011 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD