07-24-2011 10:40 AM
26 12
tools
    07-22-2011 12:07 PM
    Looked like full bars on the updated model on the video as well as the faster speed...nice
    07-22-2011 12:11 PM
    I like how he said July 11th at the end of the video.
    07-22-2011 12:13 PM
    Looked full bars on the updated model on the video as well as the faster speed...nice
    He also refers to a PR post that supplied with the post with other changes that I can't find. I hope that gets posted soon.
    07-22-2011 12:14 PM
    And Sprint's official post on it.
    LeaninBack916 likes this.
    07-22-2011 12:14 PM
    Yep just got a tweet on my timeline from Sprint itself. July 25th. ITS official. We need an Official thread now. Enough of the rumors.
    wordweaver likes this.
    07-22-2011 12:15 PM
    I like how he said July 11th at the end of the video.
    Yeah I guess that rumor really was true then, they must have just been sitting on this waiting for Sprint to let them post it.
    07-22-2011 12:21 PM
    Official Sprint Announcement

>>Nexus S 4G Software Update Roll Out Begins on July 25, Boosts Data Speeds
    >>Posted by SeanD. on Jul 22, 2011 12:58:08 PM
    >>Nexus S™ 4G is getting a software update designed to improve 4G data speeds for users and provide several other updates. The release will begin
    >>rolling out to Nexus S 4G handsets on Monday, July 25. All users should receive the update in the next three weeks.

You can read the rest on the link above.
    07-22-2011 12:24 PM
    And the video is pretty spot on. The firmware above shows what my phone does on the right. It signal bar is grey and 4g barely shows. The updated firmware has green all over and the 4g is improved. I can't wait for the update!!!!!
    07-22-2011 12:27 PM
    Now the 12 people who actually have 4G in their area will be happy!
    JJuchems likes this.
    07-22-2011 12:40 PM
    I guess most of you don't care to read through before commenting so let me help you here...

Quote from Sprint Official Announcement:
    "The software update also improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing."

Emphasis added for clarity.
    07-22-2011 12:46 PM
    that right thar is funie (and true)!! rotfl

I guess most of you don't care to read through before commenting...
    get over yourself... quoted comment was spot on and covered only one element of the wide ranging update.
    gregg37 likes this.
    07-22-2011 12:47 PM
    I guess most of you don't care to read through before commenting so let me help you here...

"The software update also improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing."
    Actually I did read the entire thing. Several paragraphs about 4G, and the little blurb at the end that you quoted. And they never truly admit a problem, they say they did additional testing and found ways to "improve" the already well performing device (paraphrased).
    07-22-2011 12:48 PM
    Do you seriously expect a US Corporation to publicly release a statement admitting their product had a defect? Although I would like it to happen, it never will.

I am happy we finally have official news and a date for this update. How much wording was used to describe the 4G fix versus the other fixes is truly irrelevant.
    07-22-2011 12:56 PM
    These are improvements....not fixes
    07-22-2011 02:21 PM
    Myriam (tnkgrl) in the video is a girl. Just sayin'.
    07-22-2011 04:42 PM
    so will this fix the signal issues not limited to 4G?
    07-22-2011 04:45 PM
    I don't think any of us can answer that at this point.
    07-22-2011 05:17 PM
    thank god lol
    07-22-2011 05:27 PM
    quick question: will my Nexus update even though im rooted? Because with my Verizon Fascinate if you rooted it it wouldnt take updates from Verizon.
    Thanks
    07-22-2011 08:19 PM
    quick question: will my Nexus update even though im rooted? Because with my Verizon Fascinate if you rooted it it wouldnt take updates from Verizon.
    Thanks
    I always got updates while rooted. As long as I kept the stock rom/kernel. This was on a Droid X.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    briguyy likes this.
    07-22-2011 08:54 PM
    This is what I would also like to know. I am a Nexus newbie -- just got it two weeks ago to replace a launch day Palm Pre. I live in a fairly large market (Knoxville) and there is NO 4G there yet. Sprint keeps "testing it" which means if you are at the Spring corporate store and the wind is blowing just the right way if you stand outside the store, you *might* be able to pick up 4G for a whole three seconds. I have been on business in Florida for the past week and the NS4G can barely retain a 3G signal for long enough for me to get a phone call in or receive notifications. I am in and out of a very strong wifi signal all day and the NS4G can barely hang onto the wifi signal even when I two feet from a router. This is getting disheartening. I love this device, but I need it to perform. I really hope that the update makes the NS4G usable, because right now, it is a lovely and slick looking piece of brick.

If it isn't fixed I may jump to Verizon -- the 4G LTE rolled out in Knoxville last week. I hate their prices and their tiered data, but the speed is hard to overlook.
    07-22-2011 11:03 PM
    This is what I would also like to know. I am a Nexus newbie -- just got it two weeks ago to replace a launch day Palm Pre. I live in a fairly large market (Knoxville) and there is NO 4G there yet. Sprint keeps "testing it" which means if you are at the Spring corporate store and the wind is blowing just the right way if you stand outside the store, you *might* be able to pick up 4G for a whole three seconds. I have been on business in Florida for the past week and the NS4G can barely retain a 3G signal for long enough for me to get a phone call in or receive notifications. I am in and out of a very strong wifi signal all day and the NS4G can barely hang onto the wifi signal even when I two feet from a router. This is getting disheartening. I love this device, but I need it to perform. I really hope that the update makes the NS4G usable, because right now, it is a lovely and slick looking piece of brick.

If it isn't fixed I may jump to Verizon -- the 4G LTE rolled out in Knoxville last week. I hate their prices and their tiered data, but the speed is hard to overlook.
    Personally don't see how even being two feet away affects your WiFi signal that bad. I have not seen one out of maybe 20 Nexus's show signal strength that bad. Now it was lower then other devices, but not by a whole lot. I personally feel that some times these signal conversations are highly exaggerated. Only because I have had hands on with too many of them. Again guys stop going by amount of bars, and always go by decibel of signal strength. Remember that the Nexus S has a different system of bars then other devices. In reality it is a lot more accurate then other devices.

However on the note of 4G, yeah I can agree with you some what there. Only because it does seem to suffer from lower speeds, but I was able to pick up 4G signals where the EVO 3D, Epic and EVO 4G could not. Yet the speeds were slow. Also remember that VZW is switching to tiered data, and even what it's at right now is 5gb, that they claim is unlimited. With all the things we stream on our devices today, it is easy to go over even that 5gb. Best example I can give. Listened to an entire album on Music beta on my Nexus S, and checked my data usage and it was over 1gb. I'm sure Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming applications will suck data on that pace as well.
    07-22-2011 11:09 PM
    Personally don't see how even being two feet away affects your WiFi signal that bad. I have not seen one out of maybe 20 Nexus's show signal strength that bad. Now it was lower then other devices, but not by a whole lot. I personally feel that some times these signal conversations are highly exaggerated. Only because I have had hands on with too many of them. Again guys stop going by amount of bars, and always go by decibel of signal strength. Remember that the Nexus S has a different system of bars then other devices. In reality it is a lot more accurate then other devices.

However on the note of 4G, yeah I can agree with you some what there. Only because it does seem to suffer from lower speeds, but I was able to pick up 4G signals where the EVO 3D, Epic and EVO 4G could not. Yet the speeds were slow. Also remember that VZW is switching to tiered data, and even what it's at right now is 5gb, that they claim is unlimited. With all the things we stream on our devices today, it is easy to go over even that 5gb. Best example I can give. Listened to an entire album on Music beta on my Nexus S, and checked my data usage and it was over 1gb. I'm sure Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming applications will suck data on that pace as well.
    That is a good point on the data and it is one of the many reasons that I have not jumped ship to Verizon yet. However, the 3G coverage in our area is becoming a dog and where I am in Florida, it is non-existent on the NS4G. In fairness, I did find out that the building I am getting the wifi in (in Florida) has a radium barrier in the roof which could be interfering with the signal -- however, I have had my Palm Pre in this same building and was able to connect to the wifi without all of this constant signal dropping. And, it isn't "bars" it is signal on the NS4G because I can't get or send text messages when the wifi flips out. I just hope that the update really does fix it because I LOVE the pure vanilla Google experience. I just want the phone to work.
    07-22-2011 11:24 PM
    Only 2 more days! I hope it fixes my 3g signal its only 1 or 2 bars most of the time. Unless when I'm right next to my local tower.
    07-23-2011 12:51 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD