Hey everyone, my mom just bought a Nexus S 4G at my recommendation. She's no dummy, but she often needs some help with things.

She's asked a few questions here and there, but I'm going down to visit her next weekend, so I've told her to just leave things alone until I get there, and we'll sit down and do everything together.

I've had an EVO 4G for about a year, so I'm comfortable with Android, but I wanted to see if any Nexus owners have anythings I should point out to my mom, or anything you think is particularly useful that all Nexus owners should know that I may not know as an EVO owner.

Thanks!
    07-22-2011 01:05 PM
    I just went from an EVO to a Nexus. You shoulsntvhave any problems figuring it all out
    07-22-2011 01:08 PM
    it should be pretty straight forward, especially if you are already using an android phone. Just be careful, you might get hooked on the pure google and get reeled in.
    07-22-2011 02:17 PM
    your mom is cool
    07-22-2011 02:19 PM
    Unless your Mom is into rooting and flashing ROMs on the Nexus, there is no material difference in how it runs with respect to the Evo except the Nexus has no Sense on it.

And yes, your Mom is very cool!
    07-22-2011 05:36 PM
    your mom goes to college.
    07-22-2011 06:39 PM
    pix?
    07-23-2011 10:53 AM
    is she single? maybe she'd like to meet a nexus dude her age?
    07-23-2011 01:13 PM
    Send her the user manual as well. She can read it right on her phone
    07-23-2011 05:07 PM
    Send her the user manual as well. She can read it right on her phone
    I'm hesitant to say this on here, but I almost think a quick interactive tutorial on phone activation would be a good thing for them to include. I got the hang of the soft keys fairly quick, but it took me a little longer to get used to Android than it did for me to get used to webOS. Some of the lingo might also be a little confusing even for those who are "no dummies". I know they have the little Home Screen Tips widget on activation...they could just add a little info to that.
    07-23-2011 05:22 PM
    is she single? maybe she'd like to meet a nexus dude her age?
    Can you and everyone else asking about his mom and all that stop being weirdos? Seriously, the guy asked for some advice to give to his mom, he didn't ask for men to post to show their interest in his mother.

Really guys? This isn't a dating forum. Get over yourselves.
    07-24-2011 01:42 PM
    Can you and everyone else asking about his mom and all that stop being weirdos? Seriously, the guy asked for some advice to give to his mom, he didn't ask for men to post to show their interest in his mother.

Wow, really?! Sounds like maybe you need to get some humor in your life.
    07-24-2011 02:09 PM

How's your mom?

Point out the NFC chip and future Google Wallet app. As far as everything else it really doesn't do much more than yours does; minus, the bloatware and sense. Also, 2.3.4 enabled Google Talk video and audio chat. Maybe she'll want to video chat with you to your computer, lol.

And point out she'll get ICS at the end of the year; and, you probably won't. OR your might. I don't know. CM7.
    07-24-2011 02:22 PM
    O, and make sure you point out you can't remove Google Earth; for whatever godly reason Google has for that. L O L!.

And also, paypal is coming out, if you missed it, with nfc function to "give" money to a friend or whomever with another NFC capable phone.
    07-24-2011 02:26 PM
    And also, paypal is coming out, if you missed it, with nfc function to "give" money to a friend or whomever with another NFC capable phone.
    Oh cr@p... I gave an NS4G to my son, I guess he'll come NFC'ing me now for money.
    07-24-2011 05:06 PM
    Oh cr@p... I gave an NS4G to my son, I guess he'll come NFC'ing me now for money.
    L O L! Look out.

I would like to see Chase add NFC support to their app. As you can person to person via email. NFC would be a nice addition to that; and, would be nice to see them add NFC card emulation to their app. Add a pin to the app, log in, emulate your cards straight from chase. No middle man.
    07-24-2011 05:09 PM
    I would like to see Chase add NFC support to their app. As you can person to person via email. NFC would be a nice addition to that; and, would be nice to see them add NFC card emulation to their app. Add a pin to the app, log in, emulate your cards straight from chase. No middle man.
    Well is literary up to us (being the only ones with NFC capable Android devices in this market) to enthusiastically embrace this new technology when active so it can filter down to other devices and institutions.
    07-24-2011 07:57 PM
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips. I'll pass along that everyone is excited for her!
    07-25-2011 10:28 AM
    How's your mom?

Point out the NFC chip and future Google Wallet app. As far as everything else it really doesn't do much more than yours does; minus, the bloatware and sense. Also, 2.3.4 enabled Google Talk video and audio chat. Maybe she'll want to video chat with you to your computer, lol.

And point out she'll get ICS at the end of the year; and, you probably won't. OR your might. I don't know. CM7.
    Yeah, I'd love to get CM7, but I was a dummy and didn't root before I updated to GB. I'm patiently waiting for root capabilities to be restored.

I'm not all that concerned with getting ICS since I've noticed a bit of a performance hit with GB, but I really want 2.3.4. Mostly so I can video chat with my mom...
    07-25-2011 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD