ok so i went to my private shopping event last night at best buy to get my NS4G and an evo for my mom, and after all was said and done, the guy told me he accidentally ordered 2 evos, but as soon as i got it i could go right to the store and just exchange it for the NS, however he was like who knos, maybe ull like the evo more once u see it. so my question is, comparatively, how r the two phones if anyone can help me, with this being my first android device, i kno the NS is a base build 2.3 os from google with no skins, but how do the they relate os wise? how r the cameras between the 2 phones? anything that would be better on one rather than the other? once again, thanks for all the help everyone, i just want to feel comfortable with what im getting.
    07-25-2011 09:28 AM
    Which EVO ? The original EVO 4G, or the new EVO-3D ?

Compared to the EVO 4G, the Nexus-S in my opinion is a smoother/faster and overall better device. Now compared to the new EVO-3D, that's a toss up, with no root yet, the 3VO is not showing it's full potential yet, so no root on the 3VO, I like the Nexus-S better, but once the 3VO is rooted and some good ROM's out there, it will blow away the Nexus-S.

For a single core device, the Nexus-S is hands down the best phone out there, and there are some killer ROM's for it, to make it even faster/smoother and still have good battery life.
    07-25-2011 09:42 AM
    now what do u mean by ROMs, coming from a pre, this is all a little foreign to me, is a rom like a custom os build? r they easy to install? whats the benefits of having custom roms? thx for the quick response
    07-25-2011 09:48 AM
    ps i was comparing to the evo4g
    07-25-2011 09:49 AM
    I'd have to say the Nexus compared to both the evo 4g and the 3Dvo only because not everyone wants to take the time or has the know how to root. The NS4G has most things out of the box that people root for and it has the speed and smoothness of any dual core.
    *EDIT*
    In that case the NS4G because the Hummingbird SoC blows away the Snapdragon and you get updates 1st!
    07-25-2011 09:50 AM
    If your not going to root or install custom ROM's, the Nexus-S 4G is the winner.

Compared to the EVO 4G rooted or not, the Nexus is a better device, faster, better screen, much better battery life, etc...

Compared to the EVO-3D, I still like the Nexus-S a little better, it seems the 3VO really needs root to show it's full potential, but just plain Jane stock, no root and no ROM's, I would take the Nexus-S. Plus like you say, will get the big Android OS updates first. Now once the EVO-3D is rooted, and a good ROM installed, it will run circles around the Nexus-S.
    07-25-2011 10:20 AM
    They both are good phones and both have a huge fan base. To a typical user, there are few differences.

1. The Nexus S Facebook Contacts sync is disabled unless you root
    2. Same for the Nexus S Facebook Calendar sync
    3. Same for the Facebook photo and status sync for caller ID
    4. The Nexus S does not have a microSD card slot
    5. The Nexus S is a 4" SAMOLED screen. The EVO 3D is a 4.3" 960x540 screen (qHD).
    6. The Nexus S does not have a notification LED.
    7. The Nexus S is single core but not really a factor until Ice Cream Sandwich hits.

But see the Nexus S Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD Workarounds.

Phones are like shoes, only you can tell what feel right to you. Try them out and see what feels best to you.
    07-25-2011 11:30 AM
    Well, I have had an Evo 4g and picked the Nexus over the Evo 3d. Between the Evo 4g, which was a nice phone, and the Nexus S 4g, the Nexus S 4g is better (except for reception, which right now being updated). The Nexus S 4g is smoother more accurate with GPS, for example, has better battary life, and has all the latest updates - not even the Evo 3d is caught up yet, they are still running 2.3.3 while Nexus S 4g is running 2.3.4 (this gives Nexus video chat on g.talk) with 2.3.5 ostensibly coming. Not to mention the whole NFC technology. So, unless you really like Sense, the Nexus would be the clear winner.
    07-25-2011 01:13 PM
    EVO 3d runs circles around the nexus!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    (I know this is probably troll food, but wth)

Except that it doesn't. In almost every test of actual functioning, the NS4G has been shown to be quicker. Not by much, but quicker none the less. The only advantage I give the EVO3D is in browsing some web pages. I have noted that the EVO3D is a bit smoother in this (especially high media content pages).

I had an EVO3D for about 3 weeks since launch and exchanged it for the NS4G. My experiences are both with stock performance (my NS4G is not rooted, ROMed, kernel'd or OC'd).

So, if I look at what the NS4G is capable of right now (fully rooted and OC'd), I believe the statement would be even more false.

Note that all of this is as of today. I know there is potential for the EVO3D to become more with custom ROMs and kernels, removal of Sense, etc. But that is not its current state, and we truthfully do not know when that state will change for sure, and by how much.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    07-25-2011 02:25 PM

Not so sure about that. My Wife has a stock Nexus-S 4G and I have the EVO-3D. When surfing XDA the Nexus is smoother with zero lag whatsoever, where as the 3VO might hiccup for just a fraction of a second once in awhile.

Overall I am very surprised how smooth/fast the Nexus-S is compared to my EVO-3D, I am actually a little jealous. I thought my 3D would be warp speed crazy faster than the Nexus, and that is just not the case in the real world.

Now once the EVO-3D gets root, and CM 7 stable, I am sure it will be a completely different story.
    07-25-2011 03:35 PM

Lol, maybe someday, but not today. There are numerous reviews on YouTube that compares the two phones and the Nexus S 4g wins more often than not. Maybe someday, when ICS comes out, it may be faster - but, even after ICS arrives, whenever that may be, the E3d will still have to wait for HTC to update and who knows how many ICS updates will pass before HTC will even update to the original ICS - by the time, or even if, HTC catches up to the updates, it may be time to upgrade one's phone. So, unless you are a big time phone gamer, the Nexus S 4g is the phone tyo get. All this and I have not even mentioned NFC vs. the painful 3d options.
    07-25-2011 03:45 PM
    Caution: Don't feed the trolls...
    07-25-2011 03:47 PM
    They both are good phones and both have a huge fan base. To a typical user, there are few differences.

1. The Nexus S Facebook Contacts sync is disabled unless you root
    2. Same for the Nexus S Facebook Calendar sync
    3. Same for the Facebook photo and status sync for caller ID
    4. The Nexus S does not have a microSD card slot
    5. The Nexus S is a 4" SAMOLED screen. The EVO 3D is a 4.3" 960x540 screen (qHD).
    6. The Nexus S does not have a notification LED.
    7. The Nexus S is single core but not really a factor until Ice Cream Sandwich hits.

But see the Nexus S Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD Workarounds.

Phones are like shoes, only you can tell what feel right to you. Try them out and see what feels best to you.

from points 1-3, does this mean i cant sync up any of my facebook contacts into my actual contacts, cuz thats one thing i LOVE about the pre, that u can sync ur facebook account with ur phone and it imports all of the contact info, email, phone #s etc. if u cant do this i will b very dissapointed... not turned away, but dissapointed.
    07-25-2011 07:42 PM
    I have only played around withthe EVO 3D in the store and own a Nexus S. But I can tell you that my Nexus is the smoothest and fastest phone I have ever put my hands on.
    07-25-2011 07:52 PM
    Go to a sprint store and try for yourself. These 2 phones feel a lot different from each other. You should have no problem selecting one or the other. On this forum they will tell you the Nexus is best, on a EVO 3d forum you will hear the opposite.
    07-26-2011 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD