07-29-2011 01:46 PM
64 123
tools
    Rather than bickering about it, Pix or it didn't happen. If they are advertising FREE (<--- Thats the keyword in debate) tethering, they didn't run around the country and remove the signs over night. Go to the Sprint store and take a picture of a sign/flier/promo/anything that shows the NS4G has free tethering. If you post a picture, it's kind of hard to argue that it didn't happen

The debate though is over the word "free". All android phones are advertised with the capability of tethering. If you can post a picture of Sprint advertising the phone as having free tethering, you have a case to approach retentions and ask for tethering to be added to your account at no charge. If they refuse to comply, you might be able to file a grievance with various consumer protection agencies. Probably won't get far because you signed a binding contract which says tethering is not free but it's worth a shot.

Or we could all just sit on the forums arguing about it .... either way lol
    07-26-2011 08:53 AM
    Dude, your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. You should have it serviced.
    If that was meant to be sarcasm, it wasn't very intelligent because it was born of ignorance of technology.
    07-26-2011 08:54 AM
    I love this definition of an ISP.

By this definition, my router is an ISP because it gives my computers IP addresses.
    Getting an ip address is NOT the definition of an isp BUT you do get an ip address BECAUSE they're an isp. It is a direct function of how an isp gives you internet connections.
    07-26-2011 08:54 AM
    If that was meant to be sarcasm, it wasn't very intelligent because it was born of ignorance of technology.
    Oy, dude. He was MAKING FUN of the poster he quoted, who implied that a wireless carrier fit the definition of an ISP because they provide you with an IP address.
    07-26-2011 09:14 AM
    Getting an ip address is NOT the definition of an isp BUT you do get an ip address BECAUSE they're an isp. It is a direct function of how an isp gives you internet connections.
    Look, here's my question to you: Who is claiming that a wireless carrier is NOT an ISP? Why do you feel the need to loudly reiterate that they are ISPs?
    07-26-2011 09:15 AM
    Well whether or not you believe does not change the fact that it was there. For what it's worth, I am being truthful, it was there.
    I don't believe this because a month or so ago I posted an internal Sprint document stating that they were aware that users were getting the free tethering service BUT it would be getting corrected and to educate customers that they would need to pay for this service. This communication was released a week prior to the phone being launched. I'd been warning this would happen for quite some time now.
    07-26-2011 11:01 AM
    I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.
    jimmycinla and dparisoe like this.
    07-26-2011 11:40 AM
    Guess I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to Android, but how does "free tethering" = "pure Google experience"? Is a "pure Google experience" the ability to open the metaphorical taps on another carrier's data flow?
    07-26-2011 11:44 AM
    Maybe Sprint should do this.. Give you back the free tether and do like the rest of the carriers and raise the data fee for everyone.
    07-26-2011 11:51 AM
    I'm assuming that the thought is that since tethering is built into Android as of I believe Gingerbread that it's part of the "pure Google experience".
    07-26-2011 11:52 AM
    I don't believe this because a month or so ago I posted an internal Sprint document stating that they were aware that users were getting the free tethering service BUT it would be getting corrected and to educate customers that they would need to pay for this service. This communication was released a week prior to the phone being launched. I'd been warning this would happen for quite some time now.
    It was probably an authorized Sprint dealer, some of those guys will do anything to make you sign.

07-26-2011 12:10 PM
    I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.
    Thanks.
    07-26-2011 12:12 PM
    Maybe Sprint should do this.. Give you back the free tether and do like the rest of the carriers and raise the data fee for everyone.
    Right, because letting you use the exact amount of data per month that you paid for will cost Sprint money.
    07-26-2011 12:27 PM
    It was probably an authorized Sprint dealer, some of those guys will do anything to make you sign.

True. That would make sense.
    07-26-2011 12:27 PM
    Right, because letting you use the exact amount of data per month that you paid for will cost Sprint money.
    And what is the exact amount you are paying for on an everything data plan? Also, have you read your signed contract?

(not trying to be snarky, but there are things you have agreed to in order to use their service)
    07-26-2011 12:32 PM
    You are free to believe what you want, but it does not change the fact that it was there. However, I purchased my phone in early June, so I am not sure if that is within your window of about a month and a half ago - but, regardless, even if it doesn't, it was there.
    07-26-2011 01:18 PM
    Does anyone know if usb tethering still works?
    07-26-2011 02:31 PM
    I'm sorry but I never saw any Nexus S 4G promotional materials that promised free tethering. You must have read something the rest of us didn't?

Yes people, we were getting something for free for a few months that EVERY other person on Sprint with a smatphone has to pay for... party is over. Life sucks, wear a helmet.
    Party is not over....back to 2.3.4
    07-26-2011 02:46 PM
    Does anyone know if usb tethering still works?
    Just tried it and it doesn't.....says DNS server not found, contact your internet provider
    07-26-2011 02:48 PM
    Just tried it and it doesn't.....says DNS server not found, contact your internet provider
    thanks for checking
    07-26-2011 03:08 PM
    Looks like the radio is what kills it. I haven't gone to 2.3.5 yet but I have been messing with going back and forth between radios. Still works with the original.....im posting while tethered right now actually.....flash the new radio and its a no go.

I apologize if this has already been discovered. There's just too many threads on too many forums to catch everything.
    07-26-2011 11:22 PM
    Looks like the radio is what kills it. I haven't gone to 2.3.5 yet but I have been messing with going back and forth between antennas. Still works with the original.....im posting while tethered right now actually.....flash the new antenna and its a no go.

I apologize if this has already been discovered. There's just too many threads on too many forums to catch everything.
    Hmmm... any way to parse out the pieces that do this?
    07-26-2011 11:47 PM
    Hmmm... any way to parse out the pieces that do this?
    Way outta my league. I told shabby about it.
    07-26-2011 11:59 PM
    Way outta my league. I told shabby about it.
    Interesting, keep us posted.
    07-27-2011 12:57 AM
    I added the $29.99 hotspot to my plan and I can confirm that after adding it and updating my profile on my phone that 3G and 4G tethering both work.

If it is the radio or whatever, I'm sure there is a work around that can be done. If I can help with that, let me know and I'll do whatever, since I have it working currently and plan on leaving for the time being....
    07-27-2011 08:57 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD