07-29-2011 01:46 PM
64 123
tools
    Gonna wait for the proverbial dust to settle and see what workarounds are available. I've been flying stock and not rooted because, honestly, stock works just about perfect for me. I do not use a lot of tethering, but I do think that having the capability "Just In Case" I need it is important.

At the same time I want the "fix" for signal issues from Sprint.

In the end it will just be a question of how tedious and\or complicated it is to hack the phone to regain the functionality and whether that means the radio fixes for signal would be borked if I did hack it.

Was kinda nice there for a couple months (came over from WebOS) where I didn't have to hack the phone to get it to work as I wanted. Kinda got lazy there for a bit. Looks like I may have to jump back in and get my tech on, bummer.
    07-27-2011 10:42 AM
    Gonna wait for the proverbial dust to settle and see what workarounds are available. I've been flying stock and not rooted because, honestly, stock works just about perfect for me. I do not use a lot of tethering, but I do think that having the capability "Just In Case" I need it is important.

In the end it will just be a question of how tedious and\or complicated it is to hack the phone to regain the functionality and whether that means the radio fixes for signal would be borked if I did hack it.

Was kinda nice there for a couple months (came over from WebOS) where I didn't have to hack the phone to get it to work as I wanted. Kinda got lazy there for a bit. Looks like I may have to jump back in and get my tech on, bummer.
    You could purchase freetether from the market to get that functionality back.
    07-27-2011 11:37 AM
    mine still works. I am rooted, not sure if that has anything to do with it
    07-27-2011 12:02 PM
    By works do you mean it turns on or have you actually tried tethering something like a laptop to it?
    07-27-2011 12:04 PM

Yeah, I agree.
    07-27-2011 12:36 PM
    I am not seeing this in the market.....I search and only see FreeTethering in the results, and that hasn't had any feedback in 7 months. Am I missing something?
    07-27-2011 12:38 PM
    "purchase" "free tether"

Hmmmm.

07-27-2011 12:53 PM
    False.
    07-27-2011 05:11 PM
    Updated and pdanet still tethering via USB
    07-27-2011 09:35 PM
    I'm rooted and using the stock ROM. Will I even be able to get the update? I'm sure someone will bake it into a ROM but will Sprint push it to my rooted stock device?
    07-27-2011 10:50 PM
    why not just install it now?
    07-27-2011 10:58 PM
    Updated and pdanet still tethering via USB
    Alright...I'm not real clear on this since I haven't ever tried it before. My update came in the middle of the night last night and now I'm here at work and was clicking through the settings and came to the tethering and portable hotspot menu.
    When I hook up via USB and check the Tether option, it says 'tethered'...though my Windows XP workstation goes through the typical 'found new hardware' dialogue and nothing happens even when I disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer.
    Also, if I check the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot box, I get the blue indicator and it says "Portable hotspot <hotspot name> active".

These both APPEAR to still be functional, though at this time I have no way to truly test either of them. How would I get the USB tethering to work with my Windows XP? Windows wants to install new hardware drivers when I try hooking it up and tethering that way.

I'll have to wait until I get home to test the hotspot since I don't have any wireless devices to work from here.
    07-28-2011 07:44 AM
    The mobile hotspot will turn on and show the icon but as soon as you try to link something like say a laptop to it, it will error out.

To tether with USB you need pdanet on your computer.
    07-28-2011 10:35 AM
    I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.

I updated my stock NS4G to GRJ90 , then rooted with shabbypenguins root, then i loaded Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel.
    When I launch the hotspot it loses 3g just like the stock kernel, any guesses ? Do you have anything different on yours ?
    07-29-2011 01:46 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD