Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on no?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on

I don't believe this because a month or so ago I posted an internal Sprint document stating that they were aware that users were getting the free tethering service BUT it would be getting corrected and to educate customers that they would need to pay for this service. This communication was released a week prior to the phone being launched. I'd been warning this would happen for quite some time now.
You are free to believe what you want, but it does not change the fact that it was there. However, I purchased my phone in early June, so I am not sure if that is within your window of about a month and a half ago - but, regardless, even if it doesn't, it was there.

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry but I never saw any Nexus S 4G promotional materials that promised free tethering. You must have read something the rest of us didn't?

Yes people, we were getting something for free for a few months that EVERY other person on Sprint with a smatphone has to pay for... party is over. Life sucks, wear a helmet.
Party is not over....back to 2.3.4

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Looks like the radio is what kills it. I haven't gone to 2.3.5 yet but I have been messing with going back and forth between radios. Still works with the original.....im posting while tethered right now actually.....flash the new radio and its a no go.

I apologize if this has already been discovered. There's just too many threads on too many forums to catch everything.

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Looks like the radio is what kills it. I haven't gone to 2.3.5 yet but I have been messing with going back and forth between antennas. Still works with the original.....im posting while tethered right now actually.....flash the new antenna and its a no go.

I apologize if this has already been discovered. There's just too many threads on too many forums to catch everything.

Hmmm... any way to parse out the pieces that do this?

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I added the $29.99 hotspot to my plan and I can confirm that after adding it and updating my profile on my phone that 3G and 4G tethering both work.

If it is the radio or whatever, I'm sure there is a work around that can be done. If I can help with that, let me know and I'll do whatever, since I have it working currently and plan on leaving for the time being....

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Gonna wait for the proverbial dust to settle and see what workarounds are available. I've been flying stock and not rooted because, honestly, stock works just about perfect for me. I do not use a lot of tethering, but I do think that having the capability "Just In Case" I need it is important.

At the same time I want the "fix" for signal issues from Sprint.

In the end it will just be a question of how tedious and\or complicated it is to hack the phone to regain the functionality and whether that means the radio fixes for signal would be borked if I did hack it.

Was kinda nice there for a couple months (came over from WebOS) where I didn't have to hack the phone to get it to work as I wanted. Kinda got lazy there for a bit. Looks like I may have to jump back in and get my tech on, bummer.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Gonna wait for the proverbial dust to settle and see what workarounds are available. I've been flying stock and not rooted because, honestly, stock works just about perfect for me. I do not use a lot of tethering, but I do think that having the capability "Just In Case" I need it is important.

In the end it will just be a question of how tedious and\or complicated it is to hack the phone to regain the functionality and whether that means the radio fixes for signal would be borked if I did hack it.

Was kinda nice there for a couple months (came over from WebOS) where I didn't have to hack the phone to get it to work as I wanted. Kinda got lazy there for a bit. Looks like I may have to jump back in and get my tech on, bummer.

You could purchase freetether from the market to get that functionality back.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

mine still works. I am rooted, not sure if that has anything to do with it
By works do you mean it turns on or have you actually tried tethering something like a laptop to it?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I agree.

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site

You could purchase freetether from the market to get that functionality back.

I am not seeing this in the market.....I search and only see FreeTethering in the results, and that hasn't had any feedback in 7 months. Am I missing something?

anon(27931)

May 30, 2010
Visit site

mine still works. I am rooted, not sure if that has anything to do with it
I'm rooted and using the stock ROM. Will I even be able to get the update? I'm sure someone will bake it into a ROM but will Sprint push it to my rooted stock device?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol