Loss of data connection

weebo

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if someone can help me out with this. At least once a day I have to reboot my phone because my 3g icon just disappears. I won't get any data until I reboot.

I've done a one click root and then back to a one click unroot (back to stock). Don't know if this matters.

Any advice helps..thanks!

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Instead of a reboot, have you tried toggling Airplane mode on & off? Just a thought?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk. Round stinka lardum bardle doo.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I seem to recall the same issue for someone else & Airplane mode toggle seemed to work for them. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk. Round stinka lardum bardle doo.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if someone can help me out with this. At least once a day I have to reboot my phone because my 3g icon just disappears. I won't get any data until I reboot.

I've done a one click root and then back to a one click unroot (back to stock). Don't know if this matters.

Any advice helps..thanks!

Hmm, I was considering trying this method to root - now, not so sure.

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue happen to me just recently, but I was traveling and wrote it off to going in and out of bad reception areas. I tried airplane mode toggle off/on, but that didn't work. I also had to reboot which worked and it hasn't happened again.

On a similar note, I have also noticed that several times it seems I'm stuck in 1x and I have to reboot to fix that. It's hard to believe that I can be in 1x for very long here, so when I see it I try rebooting and it always seems to work.

Wish I had an answer other than rebooting. And to think I got away from WinMo 6.5 because of the need for rebooting...

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
So toggling between airplane mode doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I decided to get the Nexus S when Best Buy ran the special last week. I had been using an EVO 4G since the day that the EVO launched.

I have experienced this same issue with the data connection dropping, and it has occurred three times since I got the Nexus. I first tried switching to airplane mode, and then back, thinking that it would reset the radios. No luck. The only thing that would resolve the issue was to power cycle the phone. Wondering if there is a known software glitch, or if it might be related to bad hardware. I called *2, and tech support said to swap the phone out. The Best Buy Mobile store agreed that I should swap it, and an authorized local repair center told me to return it for a replacement.

Is this a common issue, or is there just a few of us that are experiencing this problem?

roidcentral

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I decided to get the Nexus S when Best Buy ran the special last week. I had been using an EVO 4G since the day that the EVO launched.

I have experienced this same issue with the data connection dropping, and it has occurred three times since I got the Nexus. I first tried switching to airplane mode, and then back, thinking that it would reset the radios. No luck. The only thing that would resolve the issue was to power cycle the phone. Wondering if there is a known software glitch, or if it might be related to bad hardware. I called *2, and tech support said to swap the phone out. The Best Buy Mobile store agreed that I should swap it, and an authorized local repair center told me to return it for a replacement.

Is this a common issue, or is there just a few of us that are experiencing this problem?

I have had the phone for a week and just started having this issue yesterday. Toggling between airplane mode and back did not fix it. I had to complete turn off the phone and power it back on. I did not root the phone, it's completely stock.

iRaNDrOiD

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I work in an area where there's basically no sprint signal and the phone will just get stuck on roaming with no bars with the 3G sign but no data, I'll have to reboot only to go back to that state. I'm so over this POS phone, I'm on my THIRD NS4G in 2 weeks, they keep telling me is just my phone(my old palm pre never had this issues) but all 3 did the same, my girlfriends Optimus S gets 2-3 bars where I get 0-1 but when I open the browser it will not load the pages while my gf's optimus will slowly load the page. Lets stop lying to ourselves, the Nexus S 4g is the biggest dud since since iPhone 4 antenna gate but in this case there wont be any free bumpers to fix the problem, there's gotta be a reason why they are giving them away free. I'm returning mine(3rd one) for a refund(I paid about $60 in taxes) or might check out the photon.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I work in an area where there's basically no sprint signal and the phone will just get stuck on roaming with no bars with the 3G sign but no data, I'll have to reboot only to go back to that state. I'm so over this POS phone, I'm on my THIRD NS4G in 2 weeks, they keep telling me is just my phone(my old palm pre never had this issues) but all 3 did the same, my girlfriends Optimus S gets 2-3 bars where I get 0-1 but when I open the browser it will not load the pages while my gf's optimus will slowly load the page. Lets stop lying to ourselves, the Nexus S 4g is the biggest dud since since iPhone 4 antenna gate but in this case there wont be any free bumpers to fix the problem, there's gotta be a reason why they are giving them away free. I'm returning mine(3rd one) for a refund(I paid about $60 in taxes) or might check out the photon.

You must just have bad luck. Personally I couldn't be happier after the update.

From Nexus with love

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
You must just have bad luck. Personally I couldn't be happier after the update.

From Nexus with love

It sounds like a few of us are having bad luck.

One question would be whether or not it is bad hardware, local network issues, or a side effect of the latest software update for the Nexus S. Not sure about the other users, but I have seen the problem in an area where my EVO 4G never had any issues over the last year (at my desk at work.)

shortytex

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
i had the same issue where i loose all data connection, reboot doesnt work, switching to airplane mode and back doesnt work, just seems like time is the only thing that work, anywhere from 10mins to an hour and its back working just fine.. have no idea what is causing that

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like a few of us are having bad luck.

One question would be whether or not it is bad hardware, local network issues, or a side effect of the latest software update for the Nexus S. Not sure about the other users, but I have seen the problem in an area where my EVO 4G never had any issues over the last year (at my desk at work.)

Its kinda weird from what I have seen people who had no issues before the update got some bugs and people with issues (the majority) had their phones fixed.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the NS4G has a weaker radio or something. I have lost my connection before even though the update made it a little faster. But I'm roaming off verizon but it'll fluctuate between verizon and a weak sprint signal. So to remedy that, i used roam control and it sticks to the verizon 1g signal.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the NS4G has a weaker radio or something. I have lost my connection before even though the update made it a little faster. But I'm roaming off verizon but it'll fluctuate between verizon and a weak sprint signal. So to remedy that, i used roam control and it sticks to the verizon 1g signal.

The odd thing for me is that I can confirm a strong signal with another Sprint Android phone. The Nexus S shows a decent signal, but can not transfer any data. Attempts to go into airplane mode and back out do not resolve the issue. A reboot has immediately resolved the issue each time it has occurred.

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i'm also seeing the same issue after the OTA. when i launched any app that requires data connection i would lose all by bars all a sudden even at places i know i have good data

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i'm also seeing the same issue after the OTA. when i launched any app that requires data connection i would lose all by bars all a sudden even at places i know i have good data

I haven't lost bars when opening apps... I have lost green bars and connection though. It's been happening a lot lately; but, I can't be sure if it's the phone. My friend with the Shift texted me the other day saying his data was out and if mine was.

phanikv

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had this happen on my phone a bunch of times too. I called Sprint about it, they tried doing some programming over the air and asked me to reboot the phone (obviously the reboot fixed it for that one time). I ended up taking it to the Sprint store. After running some diagnostics, the guy at the store recommended a factory reset. Apparently the reset that they do at the store would also restore wireless settings in some way. Anyway, I lost all my apps, came back with a factory reset phone yesterday. Its too early to say if this has fixed the problem. If this happens again, the Sprint store rep said he would have to replace the phone.

Btw, he also pointed out that Nexus has one of the weaker antennas among its peers at Sprint (duh! Thanks Captain Obvious).