So has anyone compared the OTA vs manual update?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I know, in theory, these should be the same and there should be no differences. But I was still curious as to how people noticed great changes and others noticed none, so I thought that maybe the update does more than just "patch" GRJ22 files and stuff and actually relies on it doing something different OTA vs the manual way of doing it.

I'm going to fastboot my phone back to GRJ22 and see if I can wait for the OTA to appear to see if I can notice differences between the methods of updating...

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
That's what I'm doing, I am wondering if the tethering in the manual update breaks and works in the auto update as some people say it works stock and the majority (who presumably manually updated) have it broken.

Might be too optimistic, but oh well.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
doesnt matter, the update is teh same file regardless. teh reason why there is so many conflicting reports is because half the people dont know what they are talkign about, from there it splinters into some people flashed just teh radio, some flashed just teh rom, some flashed both. some have custom kernels running now some dont.. etc etc you see the list of variables as it grows? way too much to narrow down any issues/problems at this time

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
not to discredit anyone (especially a respected developer, which I am myself who is looking forward to getting started on Android development soon after I get settled at my new job learning Microsoft stuff), but I still want to see what would happen if I let it download OTA instead. So far, after moving BACK to GRJ22

- my WIFI has actually been the same on GRJ22 again (thought I was getting WIFI here at work)

-tethering works (kind of a duh since it was confirmed by Sprint that it breaks with the update)

-speaker volume is the same (way too weak)

-no 4G widget (would have been nice but wasn't upset when I found it wasn't added in GRJ90)

-3G SEEMS slower

it's getting to hard for me to just stay on GRJ22 though, so I will probably just manually update and do it again after the 3 weeks are up if I notice bugs or something, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone could do provide actual like measured and tested results from letting the OTA happen instead of manually upgrading....

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
not to discredit anyone (especially a respected developer, which I am myself who is looking forward to getting started on Android development soon after I get settled at my new job learning Microsoft stuff), but I still want to see what would happen if I let it download OTA instead. So far, after moving BACK to GRJ22

- my WIFI has actually been the same on GRJ22 again (thought I was getting WIFI here at work)

-tethering works (kind of a duh since it was confirmed by Sprint that it breaks with the update)

-speaker volume is the same (way too weak)

-no 4G widget (would have been nice but wasn't upset when I found it wasn't added in GRJ90)

-3G SEEMS slower

it's getting to hard for me to just stay on GRJ22 though, so I will probably just manually update and do it again after the 3 weeks are up if I notice bugs or something, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone could do provide actual like measured and tested results from letting the OTA happen instead of manually upgrading....

is this a comparison between grj90 and grj22? or between manually updating and getting the ota? because thats what im talking about :)

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
not to bring up an old thread, but I went back to 2.3.4 and finally received the update notification. off the bat, I noticed one thing that made me happy I went with OTA vs manual:

when I rolled back to 2.3.4, I noticed my NFC checkbox was checked. I decided to leave that checked as a test to see if I suffered the "un-check bug" that myself and others were having after updating to 2.3.5 manually (the checkbox for NFC would not un-check unless you restarted your phone after updating). after letting the update roll through OTA, my phone restarted and I went to un-check my NFC box....low and behold it unchecked without needing a soft reset.

it's just a little noticeable difference like this that, despite the advice of people more knowledgeable than myself here, makes me think that something is different between OTA vs. manual (despite the fact they're the same files). the phone seems a little snappier to me also vs speed after manually updating....

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
so.....are these suppose to be smart remarks....?

I'm just saying there may be some weight to this because of all the conflicting reports of this update.....many give it praise while others hate it.....

Besides the fact that they are the same files (albeit, going onto different phones with slightly different radios and other physical differences) the only KNOWN measurable difference is the way people are updating.....

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
so.....are these suppose to be smart remarks....?

I'm just saying there may be some weight to this because of all the conflicting reports of this update.....many give it praise while others hate it.....

Besides the fact that they are the same files (albeit, going onto different phones with slightly different radios and other physical differences) the only KNOWN measurable difference is the way people are updating.....

i agree with you. I think there is merit to your argument as my own experience backs it up. I'm not saying for sure there is a difference between manual and OTA, I'm simply saying dont listen to those that say there is absolutely no difference, because they dont know either.

Even though he will say he knows.

corndog22cl

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My guess.......I'm betting that it's just a .bat file or some type of script to run the same process as a manual update, nothing fancy. Probably something like, wipe cache, wipe delvik cache, install update.zip from SD, then reboot. This is just my guess.

You will probably have better luck asking this question on XDA. Just make sure to do it in the Q&A section or you will get crucified. ;)

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
i agree with you. I think there is merit to your argument as my own experience backs it up. I'm not saying for sure there is a difference between manual and OTA, I'm simply saying dont listen to those that say there is absolutely no difference, because they dont know either.

Even though he will say he knows.

out of curiousity, what were you experiencing different....?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish