08-01-2011 03:44 PM
26 12
tools
    I know, in theory, these should be the same and there should be no differences. But I was still curious as to how people noticed great changes and others noticed none, so I thought that maybe the update does more than just "patch" GRJ22 files and stuff and actually relies on it doing something different OTA vs the manual way of doing it.

I'm going to fastboot my phone back to GRJ22 and see if I can wait for the OTA to appear to see if I can notice differences between the methods of updating...
    07-27-2011 09:48 AM
    That's what I'm doing, I am wondering if the tethering in the manual update breaks and works in the auto update as some people say it works stock and the majority (who presumably manually updated) have it broken.

Might be too optimistic, but oh well.
    07-27-2011 09:59 AM
    doesnt matter, the update is teh same file regardless. teh reason why there is so many conflicting reports is because half the people dont know what they are talkign about, from there it splinters into some people flashed just teh radio, some flashed just teh rom, some flashed both. some have custom kernels running now some dont.. etc etc you see the list of variables as it grows? way too much to narrow down any issues/problems at this time
    07-27-2011 10:29 AM
    not to discredit anyone (especially a respected developer, which I am myself who is looking forward to getting started on Android development soon after I get settled at my new job learning Microsoft stuff), but I still want to see what would happen if I let it download OTA instead. So far, after moving BACK to GRJ22

- my WIFI has actually been the same on GRJ22 again (thought I was getting WIFI here at work)

-tethering works (kind of a duh since it was confirmed by Sprint that it breaks with the update)

-speaker volume is the same (way too weak)

-no 4G widget (would have been nice but wasn't upset when I found it wasn't added in GRJ90)

-3G SEEMS slower

it's getting to hard for me to just stay on GRJ22 though, so I will probably just manually update and do it again after the 3 weeks are up if I notice bugs or something, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone could do provide actual like measured and tested results from letting the OTA happen instead of manually upgrading....
    07-27-2011 01:01 PM
    How do you go back?
    07-27-2011 01:07 PM
    How do you go back?

flash via fastboot....the instructions are posted in the ROMs section
    07-27-2011 01:20 PM
    not to discredit anyone (especially a respected developer, which I am myself who is looking forward to getting started on Android development soon after I get settled at my new job learning Microsoft stuff), but I still want to see what would happen if I let it download OTA instead. So far, after moving BACK to GRJ22

- my WIFI has actually been the same on GRJ22 again (thought I was getting WIFI here at work)

-tethering works (kind of a duh since it was confirmed by Sprint that it breaks with the update)

-speaker volume is the same (way too weak)

-no 4G widget (would have been nice but wasn't upset when I found it wasn't added in GRJ90)

-3G SEEMS slower

it's getting to hard for me to just stay on GRJ22 though, so I will probably just manually update and do it again after the 3 weeks are up if I notice bugs or something, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone could do provide actual like measured and tested results from letting the OTA happen instead of manually upgrading....

is this a comparison between grj90 and grj22? or between manually updating and getting the ota? because thats what im talking about
    07-27-2011 02:56 PM
    Can you be a bit more specific?
    07-27-2011 07:50 PM
    Can someone tell me how to get the manual update? I'm tired of waiting on the OTA.
    07-27-2011 08:09 PM
    07-27-2011 08:11 PM
    not to bring up an old thread, but I went back to 2.3.4 and finally received the update notification. off the bat, I noticed one thing that made me happy I went with OTA vs manual:

when I rolled back to 2.3.4, I noticed my NFC checkbox was checked. I decided to leave that checked as a test to see if I suffered the "un-check bug" that myself and others were having after updating to 2.3.5 manually (the checkbox for NFC would not un-check unless you restarted your phone after updating). after letting the update roll through OTA, my phone restarted and I went to un-check my NFC box....low and behold it unchecked without needing a soft reset.

it's just a little noticeable difference like this that, despite the advice of people more knowledgeable than myself here, makes me think that something is different between OTA vs. manual (despite the fact they're the same files). the phone seems a little snappier to me also vs speed after manually updating....
    08-01-2011 08:25 AM
    Very scientific.

Thank you.
    08-01-2011 09:59 AM
    Very scientific.

Thank you.
    step 1. denial
    chud likes this.
    08-01-2011 10:35 AM
    step 1. denial
    Quality post.
    08-01-2011 11:46 AM
    so.....are these suppose to be smart remarks....?

I'm just saying there may be some weight to this because of all the conflicting reports of this update.....many give it praise while others hate it.....

Besides the fact that they are the same files (albeit, going onto different phones with slightly different radios and other physical differences) the only KNOWN measurable difference is the way people are updating.....
    08-01-2011 01:00 PM
    so.....are these suppose to be smart remarks....?

I'm just saying there may be some weight to this because of all the conflicting reports of this update.....many give it praise while others hate it.....

Besides the fact that they are the same files (albeit, going onto different phones with slightly different radios and other physical differences) the only KNOWN measurable difference is the way people are updating.....
    i agree with you. I think there is merit to your argument as my own experience backs it up. I'm not saying for sure there is a difference between manual and OTA, I'm simply saying dont listen to those that say there is absolutely no difference, because they dont know either.

Even though he will say he knows.
    08-01-2011 01:23 PM
    My guess.......I'm betting that it's just a .bat file or some type of script to run the same process as a manual update, nothing fancy. Probably something like, wipe cache, wipe delvik cache, install update.zip from SD, then reboot. This is just my guess.

You will probably have better luck asking this question on XDA. Just make sure to do it in the Q&A section or you will get crucified.
    08-01-2011 02:07 PM
    i agree with you. I think there is merit to your argument as my own experience backs it up. I'm not saying for sure there is a difference between manual and OTA, I'm simply saying dont listen to those that say there is absolutely no difference, because they dont know either.

Even though he will say he knows.
    out of curiousity, what were you experiencing different....?
    08-01-2011 02:13 PM
    Where exactly are the instructions for reverting back to 2.3.4?
    08-01-2011 02:52 PM
    Where exactly are the instructions for reverting back to 2.3.4?
    [NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers
    08-01-2011 03:00 PM
    out of curiousity, what were you experiencing different....?
    Doing the manual install, my WiFi speeds seemed to improve fairly noticably.

3G/4G was a different story. My 3G/4G sigmals werent as strong, I would drop out of any signal at all, into roaming often. This is in places that I have had signal for over 2 years on my Palm Pre and with the Nexus S.

Even when I had signal, my 3G/4G speeds seemed quite a bit slower. I dont have any speed test data to back this up.

I called into sprint about 5 days into this mess and told them about it. They mentioned something about a hard reset. I think they did that on their end. I dont know what exactly they did, if anything at all, but my 3G/4G speed increased dramatically after that. I could now hold a signal in the usual places and my speeds were as fast as they were before on 3G/4G. I never had the issues before the update that others complained of.

It seems to me that Sprint reset something on my profile. I cant say for sure if thats what happened. But it sure seems like it. that or a huge coincidence.
    08-01-2011 03:03 PM
    Doing the manual install, my WiFi speeds seemed to improve fairly noticably.

3G/4G was a different story. My 3G/4G sigmals werent as strong, I would drop out of any signal at all, into roaming often. This is in places that I have had signal for over 2 years on my Palm Pre and with the Nexus S.

Even when I had signal, my 3G/4G speeds seemed quite a bit slower. I dont have any speed test data to back this up.

I called into sprint about 5 days into this mess and told them about it. They mentioned something about a hard reset. I think they did that on their end. I dont know what exactly they did, if anything at all, but my 3G/4G speed increased dramatically after that. I could now hold a signal in the usual places and my speeds were as fast as they were before on 3G/4G. I never had the issues before the update that others complained of.

It seems to me that Sprint reset something on my profile. I cant say for sure if thats what happened. But it sure seems like it. that or a huge coincidence.

i appreciate your story and input, but I was still wondering what this actually had to do with the manual updating to 2.3.5 vs letting 2.3.5 install via OTA (receiving the notification is ready)?
    08-01-2011 03:13 PM
    Ok for the love of all that is No difference what so ever in what way you update, same files, same process no difference. OTA install work's the same exact way as when you install it manually just auto magically, if you think otherwise you probably think task killers are good and that elvis is still alive. Now please just let it go.
    08-01-2011 03:14 PM
    Because when you manually install, it doesn't reset the Sprint profile. At least that's where I was going with that

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    08-01-2011 03:15 PM
    Because when you manually install, it doesn't reset the Sprint profile. At least that's where I was going with that

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    ah i see..........see and that makes sense because something would have to go through Sprint for an OTA vs if you manually update it then all it sees is like....an "image" of what is supposed to be there vs an actually check of serial data, profile data, etc for it to be reset.........
    08-01-2011 03:24 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD