My new apartment has regrettably low cell signal, but I have a router. I have Google Voice set to prompt me which number to use each time I call out. (on the google voice website it says my phone is disabled, but on the Google Voice app I changed the setting to prompt me what number to use)

If I call out with Google Voice, will my phone bypass the low cell signal and use my wifi?
    07-27-2011 08:25 PM
    My new apartment has regrettably low cell signal, but I have a router. I have Google Voice set to prompt me which number to use each time I call out. (on the google voice website it says my phone is disabled, but on the Google Voice app I changed the setting to prompt me what number to use)

If I call out with Google Voice, will my phone bypass the low cell signal and use my wifi?
    No. GV is not voip, it uses the voice network to make/receive calls. There is an app however to use GV through gtalk so that you can use data instead of the voice network, it is called Groove IP.
    leftisthominid likes this.
    07-27-2011 08:26 PM
    Are there any free alternatives to Groove IP?
    07-27-2011 08:32 PM
    Sipdroid used to give you the option to set up an account using gtalk. Not sure if it still does.
    I used sipdroid to set the account up then uninstalled it and used csip for the actual calling. I preferred the interface and customizations.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    07-27-2011 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD