Nexus S with Ice Cream sandwich?

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think the Nexus will be able to update to ICS? I was going to get the Nexus because i figured it would get ICS but I'm not sure a single core device could handle it.

What ya guys think?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus S with Ice Cream sandwich??

It'll handle it fine. Just because the next android version will be able to use multiple cores, do you really think it would be so resource intensive it couldnt run on a single core? That would also mean the low end android phones coming out next year and the year after would have to be dual core or run older versions of android. Don't see that happening either.

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I guess, I just couldn't see a single core phone running honeycomb because ice cream will essentially be honeycomb looks like.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think the Nexus will be able to update to ICS? I was going to get the Nexus because i figured it would get ICS but I'm not sure a single core device could handle it.

What ya guys think?

Its definitely getting ICS and will run it just fine I'm sure

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

ICS will run fine on the Nexus S but it'll just run better on dual-core phones, that's all.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Is it supposed to run worse on dual-core phones then? It's an obvious statement.

What we need to think about here is the RAM. The Nexus S only has 512MB, now THAT could hinder it but it'll hinder phones like the EVO 4G before it hinders the Nexus S simply due to Sense and all the crap that comes with it.

To put it bluntly, Nexus S will run ICS better than other phones with 512MB RAM with a single-core simply because it won't have all the bloat that other phones will have. But when you put it against dual-core phones with ICS, it won't be that speedy (just as it already isn't that speedy vs dual-core phones running GB).

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

ICS will run fine on the Nexus S but it'll just run better on dual-core phones, that's all.

o_rly.jpg

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it supposed to run worse on dual-core phones then? It's an obvious statement.

What we need to think about here is the RAM. The Nexus S only has 512MB, now THAT could hinder it but it'll hinder phones like the EVO 4G before it hinders the Nexus S simply due to Sense and all the crap that comes with it.

To put it bluntly, Nexus S will run ICS better than other phones with 512MB RAM with a single-core simply because it won't have all the bloat that other phones will have. But when you put it against dual-core phones with ICS, it won't be that speedy (just as it already isn't that speedy vs dual-core phones running GB).

I was with you till the last sentence there. Isn't that speedy vs dual core phones? There isn't a dual core out that that has anything on the Nexus yet. Once ICS comes out I'm sure that'll change, but currently the Nexus is just as fast in real life, and benchmarks as the dual cores. Fact

Sent from my Transformer

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
They will probably give the nexus a watered down version of ics, its RAM shortage and outdated processor can't handle the full blown version! IMHO

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

So, as others have pointed out, I guess there will be no mid range phones running it? Everything will have to be dual core? The Nexus will get ICS and it will run fine. People had this same discussion about the Nexus One and Gingerbread. Google is not going to abandoned their developer phone. In fact, I'm sure they're making it run smooth on the S

Sent from my Transformer

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

what I'm looking forward to in ICS is hardware acceleartion....

I hold high hopes simply because of Launcher Pro. Look @ how smooth scrolling is between the homescreens and such.....JUST AS SMOOTH as the iPhone. From what I understand, this app DOES NOT use hardware acceleration, whereas the iPhone does (and always has) for smooth scrolling, transitions, etc...

If someone can pull this off in app that runs smoothly on ALL PHONES (whether they have a strong or weak GPU), I'm sure Google can pull this off for the ENTIRE OS.

You can even take Spare parts for an example. From the way it looks to me, that has to use SOME FORM of hardware acceleration for the transitions.....

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

So you're just speculating then? Got it. I will go ahead and ignore that Google themselves said that ICS will be a unifying release that will bring everything together and will run on even low end and midrange hardwared phones.

Your point about hindering the EVO before the Nexus has nothing to do with the underlying OS. It has to do with the overlays.

Not to mention, I'm curious as to what you think Google will be adding that will suddenly make the OS a RAM hungry beast.

They will probably give the nexus a watered down version of ics, its RAM shortage and outdated processor can't handle the full blown version! IMHO
Except that vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich IS the full blown version. There won't be anything watered down about it, just like there's nothing watered down about the NS version of Gingerbread.

Seriously guys.

So, as others have pointed out, I guess there will be no mid range phones running it? Everything will have to be dual core? The Nexus will get ICS and it will run fine. People had this same discussion about the Nexus One and Gingerbread. Google is not going to abandoned their developer phone. In fact, I'm sure they're making it run smooth on the S
Pretty much.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

EVERY new phone will get ICS. Google made ALL the phone makes promise that all their new phones will take ALL new versions of Android for their first 18 months.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

ya-rly001.jpg

In all seriousness, at least you (and crzycrkr) are listening to actual reason.

Still had to post that image though. :D

I was with you till the last sentence there. Isn't that speedy vs dual core phones? There isn't a dual core out that that has anything on the Nexus yet. Once ICS comes out I'm sure that'll change, but currently the Nexus is just as fast in real life, and benchmarks as the dual cores. Fact

Sent from my Transformer

Except that it's also a fact that benchmarks aren't THAT accurate and should be taken with a grain of salt.

So you're just speculating then? Got it. I will go ahead and ignore that Google themselves said that ICS will be a unifying release that will bring everything together and will run on even low end and midrange hardwared phones.

Your point about hindering the EVO before the Nexus has nothing to do with the underlying OS. It has to do with the overlays.

Not to mention, I'm curious as to what you think Google will be adding that will suddenly make the OS a RAM hungry beast.

Well first off, it's actual reason and common sense. Of course it'll run better on dual-core phones with higher RAM than on single-core phones with low RAM. Just because it's a unifying release doesn't mean it'll run the exact same on every single phone.

Also, you seem to have forgotten that ICS will use Honeycomb's holographic UI along with face-tracking software in the camera along with more features. There's many of reasons that ICS could be slow on 512MB of RAM. Again, common sense tells us that it probably won't be the smoothest experience, even if it's perfectly usable.

Considering you decided to argue with me over Sprint removing tethering capability in 2.3.5 (something you turned out to be incorrect about), I'm just gonna think that you don't know what you're talking about and just like to argue when someone posts something that's obvious common sense because you lack it yourself and just want to troll.

EVERY new phone will get ICS. Google made ALL the phone makes promise that all their new phones will take ALL new versions of Android for their first 18 months.

Actually, that only applies to the following companies:
Verizon
HTC
Samsung
Sprint
Sony
LG
T-Mobile
Vodafone
Motorola
AT&T

No one else is a part of this alliance and we've never seen it in action so we don't know how it'll take place. Besides, with how GB's release has been going, Nexus One, Nexus S, and the new ICS Nexus will probably be the only phones with ICS for quite a while.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Except that it's also a fact that benchmarks aren't THAT accurate and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Completely agree, that's why I said in real life and benchmarks. I know once ICS comes out we will see the dual cores potential, but right now there really isn't a difference in speed for most common use and also in benchmarks
Sent from my Transformer

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie