Yikes! If Google kills your account your phone becomes dumb phone

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Google has been known to turn people's accounts off and then never tell them why. They've been stepping this up with Google + and people using pseudonyms or fake names. Why should you care? Because even if you don't use GMail or Google Voice, if Google turned off your google account, you'd lose all access to:

1. SMS
2. Contacts (on the phone, not in your exchange server)
3. All Apps from Android Market (couldn't redownload/update them or access the Android Market at all)

And of course if you use Google Voice no one would be able to call that phone number, you'd lose all voicemails, text messages and any Gmail contact.

This is really scary. There's no other phone OS for which the same is true (granted with others you could lose some info/apps but they also have real tech support people to help you, and it's very rare for that to happen whereas it's happening pretty often with Google because they use an automated system/algorithm to determine if your account should be turned off and it's frequently wrong).

When Google kills your account, what happens to your Android phone? | ITworld

Also, while Google Takeout supposedly lets you archive all your Google Services data, it does not. It doesn't include any Android Market apps, or Google Voice or texting.

Only allowable items to download:
-----------------------------------------------
+1s
Buzz
Contacts and Circles
Picasa Web Albums

Last edited:

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yikes! If Google kills yur accnt, your phone becomes dumb pho

Well, Brad Horowitz of Google claima:
MYTH: Not abiding by the Google+ common name policy can lead to wholesale suspension of one’s entire Google account.

When an account is suspended for violating the Google+ common name standards, access to Gmail or other products that don’t require a Google+ profile are not removed. Please help get the word out: if your Google+ Profile is suspended for not using a common name, you won't be able to use Google services that require a Google+ Profile, but you'll still be able to use Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Blogger, and so on. (Of course there are other Google-wide policies (e.g. egregious spamming, illegal activity, etc) that do apply to all Google products, and violations of these policies could in fact lead to a Google-wide suspension.)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1131163...8zVqU#113116318008017777871/posts/VJoZMS8zVqU

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If Google ever does that to my account I'll sue for larceny of my paid digital merchandise; and, switch to a windows phone.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

[removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

[removed by moderator]

LOL, sure in that one example, but there's been other people cut off for ways they use Google Ads or any other number of reasons. You might be cut off because Sprint complains you're using tethering (via root) without paying, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL, sure in that one example, but there's been other people cut off for ways they use Google Ads or any other number of reasons. You might be cut off because Sprint complains you're using tethering (via root) without paying, who knows.

Maybe your updating your PRL to often?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Sure, but as I mention in my post, people get their accounts closed even without google + all the time (the article gives an actual example). And when that happens, since Google has no customer service line/email, it can be near impossible to fix.

I won't deny it could happen, but to say it happens all the time? How often do we hear on the forums of people having this happen?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

You might be cut off because Sprint complains you're using tethering (via root) without paying, who knows.

and then wouldn't it be Sprint cutting off one's service?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
and then wouldn't it be Sprint cutting off one's service?

Hmm, would make sense. Sprint cuts your service so you can't do it; unless, they really want to mess with you and tell Google (Because apparently they can call them and talk to someone on the phone) and have them cut your entire Android service so you can't go anywhere. And only agree to let you back in if you agree to pay the fees. And then Google will restore you data and account via tapes stored on a remote island in an underground bunker secure from the take over of machine. Which would make no sense because Google is the machine and would cause the take over; so, why would they prepare to hide from themselves?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm going back to RIM.

I'm not going to lie. I was thinking about it. Get a touch screen Blackberry. Nice solid phone. And now they run android apps, lol.

The late next year get a Windows 8 tab for everything else I need to do on the go; and, at hope in place of a laptop. Hook it up to the TV.

Who needs android when you have full Windows desktop on a portable device.

If they come out with an LTE Touch screen blackberry. It's tempting.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm not going to lie. I was thinking about it. Get a touch screen Blackberry. Nice solid phone. And now they run android apps, lol.

The late next year get a Windows 8 tab for everything else I need to do on the go; and, at hope in place of a laptop. Hook it up to the TV.

Who needs android when you have full Windows desktop on a portable device.

If they come out with an LTE Touch screen blackberry. It's tempting.
I really miss my Pearl and I really love what Microsoft is doing with WP7. BUT after coming from a Pre, I just couldn't take the envy anymore. Everything I wanted was on Android so I'll be here for a little bit. I'll be adding a line to jump on with WP7 though once Mango is released.

I'd take an iPhone if it were given to me and I wouldn't go back to Verizon unless it was given to me as well (or if there were no other CDMA options).

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I really miss my Pearl and I really love what Microsoft is doing with WP7. BUT after coming from a Pre, I just couldn't take the envy anymore. Everything I wanted was on Android so I'll be here for a little bit. I'll be adding a line to jump on with WP7 though once Mango is released.

I'd take an iPhone if it were given to me and I wouldn't go back to Verizon unless it was given to me as well (or if there were no other CDMA options).

Pearl, gross, lol. I got the tour 9630 when I switched to Sprint. Loved it. Couldn't wait any longer to get out of ATT. When I got my Epic I think that's when the 9650 came out; but, I was moving on from Blackberry. I wanted my phone to do much much more.

I don't know. I love android. I just think they need to work out some fragmentation bugs and get on top of their stuff. Especially with customer service. Open up a Google store or something. Look how well that does for Apple.

To be honest though. I was happy switching to Blackberry from iPhone; so, no: I will never take an iPhone. Unless it was given to me which I would just sell it.

Blackberry was always good to me. Solid worry free phone. Never had any issues making calls, getting email, sending SMS. I wanted a better web browser and better apps. And I wanted touch screen again; but, miss the BB keyboard. Got the Epic cause it had the keyboard. Never used it. Didn't like it.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Pearl, gross, lol.
I was coming off of a Moto Q so I wanted something a little more manageable size wise.

Open up a Google store or something. Look how well that does for Apple.
That would be like an F.A.O. Schwartz for nerds.

Blackberry was always good to me. Solid worry free phone. Never had any issues making calls, getting email, sending SMS. I wanted a better web browser and better apps. And I wanted touch screen again; but, miss the BB keyboard. Got the Epic cause it had the keyboard. Never used it. Didn't like it.
Yeah as long as you remembered to close out programs the RIGHT way and reboot every so often to keep the memory clear, they were good phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol