As I've posted several times recently, I've had what I thought to be a handful of defective units. 2 actually had reboot issues but all seemed to have displays that differed from one another. 2 looked very dark w/ deep blues and crisp whites while the other 2 had a much more natural tone. Having been trained to think bright bold displays are "better", I assumed the others were defective.

I kept thinking about the original EVO and how it shipped with displays which were manufactured by different companies leaving everyone arguing over whose looked better. The problem is that unlike HTC, Samsung produces their own panels. There shouldn't be any major fluctuations between one unit and the next. Why then do 4 Nexus S 4G's seem to look drastically different from one another?

Doing some research I came across people experiencing the same "issues" as I was having. They had to return their device for whatever reason and the new one looked faded and washed out.

One forum member over at XDA posted a response stating AMOLED displays are like finger prints and no two are the same. Another poster says that's true for all types of displays and wouldn't explain why the screens appear different to an untrained eye. At this point I was lost.

Yesterday the ups arrived with 3 boxes at my house. They happen to be all three of my "faulty" units that I had sent back (wrong shipping labels, long story). I decided to take them out and see just how different they all look when sitting directly next to each other. This required me to purchase a battery since one replacement didn't come with one but that's how much this was annoying me, especially considering my current unit seemed to fall into the "washed out" category and there is no way I'm getting another exchange and purchasing a 5th $20 Zagg

After getting them all charged and lined up I powered on 4 Nexus S 4G's. For the first test I was in my living room which was lit by afternoon sun light. All 4 looked exactly the same! If you looked extremely close you'd notice NORMAL differences between colors but nothing as drastic as I previously thought.

Next I moved into my dark bedroom. All 4 again looked exactly the same as each other but drastically different than they looked in sun light.

I had also noticed some ghosting on my current unit, forcing open the keyboard while on the home scree would result in a translucent or "ghost" image of the keyboard being left behind when the keyboard was closed. I opened and closed the keyboard on all 4 and found that all 4 suffered from this very faint ghosting affect but it was much more noticeable in the dark atmosphere than in my brightly lit living room.

Another complaint I have come across alot is people saying they're noticing lines when pulling down the notification bar, similar to how an LCD equipped device would look with its back light turned on. All 4 of my units had this "problem" as well. Since our NS4G doesn't use any back lighting Im not sure what's going on here but I can assure you it's wide spread and not your device.

In conclusion,

The Nexus is a device with its faults but those slight faults are across the board. If you've received a replacement and immediately notice a difference it could very well be the environment your in which is effecting how the auto brightness is working. Either all 4 of my handset have been defective or I (and some of you) are simply still getting used to AMOLED technology.
    chud likes this.
    07-31-2011 08:43 AM
    you don't have to buy a new Zagg Shield each time - you can register your Zagg Shield with them and if you tell them you need a replacement for a new phone, they'll ship you one for ship cost (around 4 or 5 bucks). I had to do it with my Moment several times, and then at least once for my EVO.

Hope this helps!
    07-31-2011 01:08 PM
    I've said before here no AMOLED screen looks the same. It's AM ORGANIC LED. Nothing organic is identical.
    07-31-2011 01:27 PM
    you don't have to buy a new Zagg Shield each time - you can register your Zagg Shield with them and if you tell them you need a replacement for a new phone, they'll ship you one for ship cost (around 4 or 5 bucks). I had to do it with my Moment several times, and then at least once for my EVO.

Hope this helps!
    Correct but I refuse to power on a new device without protection so waiting for them to ship me wasn't an option in this case but yeah Zagg does right by their customers and considering the average purchase is around $25 says alot. Try getting that kind of treatment from companies who you spend hundreds, even thousands with and you'll see how loyal a company like zagg is.
    07-31-2011 01:41 PM
    I've said before here no AMOLED screen looks the same. It's AM ORGANIC LED. Nothing organic is identical.
    But, like a fingerprint, it should take a trained eye to tell the difference between one another. I'm sure if each panel came off the line looking drastically different, they'd do their best yo refine the manufacturing process to produce a more consistent product.
    07-31-2011 01:51 PM
    Root, install Voodoo, problem solved
    07-31-2011 03:46 PM
    But, like a fingerprint, it should take a trained eye to tell the difference between one another. I'm sure if each panel came off the line looking drastically different, they'd do their best yo refine the manufacturing process to produce a more consistent product.
    LCD, Plasma and LED all have this same issue. It's been documented for years, that no two panels are ever the same. Just the way it is, and we must get used to it. Welcome to the world of imperfection!
    07-31-2011 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD