Updated 8/5: Hulu acknowledges missing application

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hulu plus is not showing in the market for users on Android 2.3.5 Hulu support fabricated a story and closed the ticket stating it only happens to rooted users. They implied they have the ability to filter their app from showing in the market on rooted devices. This is simply not true. Anyone with an NS4G, running GRJ90 (2.3.5) rooted or not, will be unsuccessful at finding "hulu plus" in the market.

Please take the time to let Hulu know how you feel about this. Their customer support can be emailed at support@hulu.com even if you don't have a hulu account you can report the issue because the problem is not that the app doesn't work properly, it's that it's not available in the market. You don't need a hulu account to search for "Hulu plus" in the market.

EDIT - The most ironic thing about this is, those of you who aren't rooted are basically SOL. Those of you who are rooted, here's your answer for hulu alone but if you'd also like to fix HBO go and any other missing apps, click this.

EDIT #2 - Post #2 updated with an email from hulu support to Jesse Jameson acknowledging theres an issue and giving him a two week credit on his account for his inconvenience. If you have been inconvenienced by this as well, you may want to see if hulu support will credit you.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
(lEmail Hulu) Hulu plus not showing in market on 2.3.5 devices

Supporting evidence the issue resides on their application permission/filtering:
The issue started on July 25th. This is the day Google started updating the Nexus S 4G (crespo4g) to android build GRJ90 2.3.5. Hulu plus is unable to be found despite our devices being supported. The old build, where the app downloaded and worked fine was GRJ22 2.3.4.

I decided to do a little experiment, which I'm sure Hulu had already done in their troubleshooting process considering they told me with certainty the issue was only impacting me because my phone was rooted. I edited my /system/build.prop to give my rooted NS4G and fingerprint and ID of a NS4G running GRJ22 android 2.3.4. Lo and behold guess what shows up in the market, downloads fine, and works like a champ .... if your guess was hulu plus you win!!! My phone is still rooted, it's still running GRJ90, but I've fooled the market into thinking im running GRJ22 2.3.4

You can do this too, Change the following 2 lines in your build.prop to reflect whats below:
ro.build.description=sojus-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/sojus/crespo4g:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys

Communication chain with Hulu support:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tramel, Aug-01 09:44 pm (PDT):
Hi K.P.,

Thanks for your email. I'm very sorry you are having problems locating the Hulu Plus application in the Android Market. I'd love to help figure this out, so if you have a moment, the answers to the following questions will help me track down what's going on here:

• Who is your carrier? (Verizon, AT&T, etc.)
• What is model number? (Go to Settings > About Phone)
• What is the Android version? (Go to Settings > About Phone)
• Is your phone rooted? (Unfortunately, we are not able to support rooted phones)
• What is your IMEI number? It’s available via Settings -> ‘About Phone’ or ‘System Info’ varies slightly from phone to phone.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,
Tramel
Hulu Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Aug 2, 2011 6:20 AM
Subject: Re: Hulu plus not showing in market for Nexus S 4G (ticket #620845)
To: "Hulu Support" <support@hulu.com>

- Sprint
- Nexus S 4G
- 2.3.5 <---- That's the problem right there. You have your filter setup so your app will show on the Nexus S 4G (crespo4g) on android build 2.3.4 Over a week ago Google issued an OTA update for the NS4G build # GRJ90 to android 2.3.5 anyone who has received GRJ90 cannot find your app in the market.
- Sure is but that's not pertinent. See answer to problem above
- IMEI is only applicable to GSM phones. CDMA devices have ESN

Thanks for your time.

K.P. Smith

Tramel, Aug-02 01:37 pm (PDT):
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response with your phone's information. I will follow up with you as soon quickly as I can find out if your specific profile is supported for Hulu Plus. We can look into the update you are referring to, but if other users with this Android version who are not rooted can find the app, then we may know why you're not seeing it as of now.

I will be in contact shortly.

Thanks,
Tramel
Hulu Support

Tramel, Aug-02 07:54 pm (PDT):
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your patience. We are actually not filtering out any users with Android version 2.3.5. The problem you are facing with our app is directly related to your phone being rooted. Sorry, but we just do not support devices with this type of alteration.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
Tramel
Hulu Support

Date: Aug 3, 2011 3:36 AM
Subject: Re: Hulu plus not showing in market for Nexus S 4G (ticket #620845)
To: "Hulu Support" <support@hulu.com>

Tramel,

The app is not showing in the market for anyone with android 2.3.5 on their nexus4G, rooted or not. I've reported a problem that all Nexus S 4G users are experiencing and instead of correcting the issue, you have decided to blame it on rooting. You stick with your story and see where that goes.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...lu-plus-not-showing-market-2-3-5-devices.html

K.P. Smith aka KSmithInNY

Update: - This email was sent from hulu support to Jesse Jameson. Thanks for sharing Jesse!

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for that information. It does look like we do not yet support that firmware version, but an update is coming very soon. I'm very sorry about any inconvenience this has caused. I have applied a 2-week credit to your account to compensate you for any lack of service.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy viewing!

Thanks,
Vince
Hulu Support

Last edited:

zpithika

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Not showing up for me. I am not rooted or anything. Have the newest update (2.3.5) and the be market. I can't find hulu at all.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: KSmithInNY

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: (lEmail Hulu) Hulu plus not showing in market on 2.3.5 device

I had the same issue, but it was easy to find the apk on the Google machine. Works fine, so its not an issue of functionality.

Reactions: KSmithInNY

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63