Moving up from Sprint Treo Pro...

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I one of the guys still on old WinMob 6.0...

I'm not a super power user, so I don't need tons of HP...I love the size of the Nexus S 4G. Any real compelling reason to avoid this phone?

Main reason for me is form factor and that its completely unmolested by Sprint...which should mean ICS would be a guaranteed update. I don't want to wait 6 mos for a 'possible' upgrade like some have had to do.

Seems like the reception issues have largely been fixed, and I don't have 4G where I live (Des Moines, IA) yet anyway.

So...any big reasons not to get it? (My other thought is the Photon or Evo 3D..but they're both a little big for my preference.)

TIA

(BTW...not trolling...I've read this forum over the last couple of days...just making sure I haven't missed anything...)

Last edited:

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I think that you might experience some issues, as I think most phones will have their bugs.
BUT. . . every time I've had a question, some one here has been willing and able to help. Making it all worth it!
Swype not coming out of the box was something I missed but I downloaded it. As well as screen capture, which I have since rooted and downloaded Screen Shot It.
Moral of the story:
Whatever you get, you might want to tweak. Good to know you can!

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I one of the guys still on old WinMob 6.0...

I'm not a super power user, so I don't need tons of HP...I love the size of the Nexus S 4G. Any real compelling reason to avoid this phone?

Main reason for me is form factor and that its completely unmolested by Sprint...which should mean ICS would be a guaranteed update. I don't want to wait 6 mos for a 'possible' upgrade like some have had to do.

Seems like the reception issues have largely been fixed, and I don't have 4G where I live (Des Moines, IA) yet anyway.

So...any big reasons not to get it? (My other thought is the Photon or Evo 3D..but they're both a little big for my preference.)

TIA

(BTW...not trolling...I've read this forum over the last couple of days...just making sure I haven't missed anything...)

Former Palm addict here... from the Treo 270 to the Treo Pro until about a year and a half ago when I made the jump to Android and never looked back!

Having owned/used several Android phones on Sprint I can tell you I am very happy with the Nexus. Coming from WM6.0 you will be amazed what a modern and powerful OS can do these days without constant tweaking of the register and regular nursing of the OS to keep it from slowing down to a crawl. Is the Nexus free of problems, no... but neither is the Treo Pro nor any of the other Android phones availble today. Mine works quite well and pure Android makes this phone perform better than the skinned equivalents like the Evo or Epic in my opinion.

I have been able to find equivalent programs to do all that I used to do with WM with the sore exception of Pocket Quicken... I really miss that one. Coming from a long line of phones with physical keyboards, I anticipated some issues getting used to a virtual one when I originally got my first Android device (Evo 4G), in all it took me less than a week to make the transition, not as big of a deal as I thought it would be.

In all I can't think of any reason not to upgrade to the Nexus at this point.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
You won't be sorry going to the Nexus S. It is the best phone I have ever owned and I'm not just saying that because I own it. Other than the radios issue, there hasn't been a problem. The radio issue was fixed in the last update for me. So the phone is perfect now.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You'll get plenty of HP out of this. As far as every day use is concerned I actually find this more snappy than the 3dvo or the photon.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I went and played with the Photon, Evo 3D, Evo 4G, Echo (yes, I like it) and Nexus S 4G.

I'm definitely going with the Nexus...just waiting for Sprint to apply my upgrade discounts to my account so I can pick it up!