Possibly trading my Evo 4G for Nexus S - Couple of question

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Experts -

Hopefully these should be easy to answer. I've looked in the forums and don't see all of the answers.

1) I thought I read that the Nexus S won't play AVI or Mp4 files. Is that true? I convert my dvd's and use moboplayer to play them all the time. Dealbreaker if that doesn't work.
2) I see that facebook sync isn't there but I can manually import the pix of people. Is this really a big deal? Facebook app will work, right?
3) Will netflix work?
4) How much better is the battery on this phone than the evo 4G? Is it a tremendous difference?
5) Reading through the forums, some people hate the phone saying the 3G/4G and voice signals are weak and some say they're awesome and the most recent update fixed the issues. What's the scoop?
6) 4G - Is it really on all of the time or is there a way to turn it off? I can't tell if people are unhappy becuse there's no widget, or because there's not the ability to turn it off at all.
7. If I want try rooting, is this a good phone for that, or stick to the Evo?

I like the display and the size of the Nexus, just don't want to get something I regret.
Also, does anyone know if I can get the TEP on a used phone?

thanks

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I can only answer a couple of your questions. First, yes, you can get insurance on a used phone. Second, it's a developer phone so it's perfect for rooting.

Sent from my Photon using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, netflix works on it. You can disable 4G in the settings, it is just that there isn't a 4G widget to easily enable/disable it from the homescreen. I had an EVO4G for a year and I find the battery life better on my NS4G. Since getting my NS4G in May, I've found the reception to be on par with what I got with my EVO although I cant comment to 4G signal since even though my area has had 4G, I just leave it off and left it off on my EVO as well. I'm in areas where I get wifi for times I need decent speed and other times I find 3G to suffice.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
1. im pretty sure it wont play them natively but will play them with the proper codecs through 3rd party apps like your moboplayer and rockplayer. i also think i read at one time that there are kernels with support for this to make it more native. don't quote me 100% on any of that though since ive never given it more than a passing interest.

2. not a big deal. Friendcaster works for the most part with syncing your contacts. Facebook the app works as a Facebook app, but doesnt do the syncing, if that's what you're asking.

3. Yes netflix works.

4. i get between 12 and 40 hours on a charge regularly, depending of course on usage and coverage area. i never lived with an EVO so won't comment further.

5. I had zero issues from day one with connection and speed but they got slightly better after the update. Tons of variables.....hardware discrepancies, coverage areas, user perception, user knowledge, user attitude. You should pretty much be able to tell if it'll work for you within your 30 days.

6. you can turn it on or off but you have to go two or three layers into a menu to do it. the complaints are about the lack of a widget.

7. Nexus is dead simple to root. (you wouldn't think so though reading some comments)

Yes you can insure a used phone.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I will put my answers after your questions.

1) I thought I read that the Nexus S won't play AVI or Mp4 files. Is that true? I convert my dvd's and use moboplayer to play them all the time. Dealbreaker if that doesn't work.

The stock player does not, however you have choices in the Market that will. All you need to do is download them. Realplayer, Mvideoplayer or Qqplayer

2) I see that facebook sync isn't there but I can manually import the pix of people. Is this really a big deal? Facebook app will work, right?

Unfortunately right now official Facebook is blocked. However you have two choices for contact sync via the Market. Friendcaster and Syncmypix

3) Will netflix work?

Yes!

4) How much better is the battery on this phone than the evo 4G? Is it a tremendous difference?

If we are comparing stock batteries? Yes the difference is quite significant. It just utilizes the battery power so much better.

5) Reading through the forums, some people hate the phone saying the 3G/4G and voice signals are weak and some say they're awesome and the most recent update fixed the issues. What's the scoop?

Update fixed the issue, while some are complaining it hasn't. It has, the tests have been done and show it has improved and fixed the previous issues. Although for me it still worked for me prior to update, it just made my signal stronger.

6) 4G - Is it really on all of the time or is there a way to turn it off? I can't tell if people are unhappy becuse there's no widget, or because there's not the ability to turn it off at all.

No widget, but you can turn it on and off in the mobile network settings. You can also download minimalistic text which will let you create a widget that will take you straight to it.

I personally think the Nexus S is better for rooting. But that is all preference to the user.

Yes you can insure that device. ;)

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Experts -

Hopefully these should be easy to answer. I've looked in the forums and don't see all of the answers.

3) Will netflix work?

I like the display and the size of the Nexus, just don't want to get something I regret.

thanks

1) Check the list of Android Supported Media Formats. You will need to get a third party player that works with other formats you need on your phone.

2) Google disabled FB contact/picture sync on Android 2.3, check the work around thread on this forum for additional information. AFAIK FB app works... I don't care much for FB do I don't use it.

3) Yes it does.

4) I have an Evo 4G and an Epic, the battery life on the Nexus running same suit of apps and under same usage conditions is better for me, YMMV.

5) The experience with the recent update has been mixed, just as the experience with this phone was prior to the update. I can only talk from personal experience, the new 2.3.5 update did improve my 3G connectivity, my wifi was never a problem. I have no 4G on my area so I can not tell how it works with the Nexus.

6) There is not 4G widget for the Nexus - I believe this is the case for Gingerbread phones in general but not sure. The 4G radio can be turned on-off from the settings menu just like any other phone. So you are in full control of this radio, just there is no widget that works.

7) The Nexus is a developer's phone and as such is designed to be easy to root since no exploits are needed, just a command from the SDK is needed to unlock it. Check this thread on the ROM section for complete instructions... is really easy to do.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
One last thing about the signal issue. I do believe there was some issue with Nexus data reception that appears to be improved after the update. In addition, I have experienced significant signal variability on my area for the past couple of months, starting almost at the time the Nexus originally came out. I have been in contact with Sprint several times regarding this and seems they are working to expand coverage on my area and several towers are being upgraded so the 3G signal has been very variable lately.

This issue has not been limited to my Nexus, I have observed it on my other two phones and the others in my household - six in total. So besides the fact there was an issue with the Nexus I believe there are network issues that may be affecting other markets that could be blamed on the phone by some ~ just a personal observation.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
So besides the fact there was an issue with the Nexus I believe there are network issues that may be affecting other markets that could be blamed on the phone by some ~ just a personal observation.

I believe that to be correct. The other Sprint phones that I have in my house have the same signal strength as my Nexus. I have seen a decline in Sprint service in my area. But I can say it isn't the phone Orleans at least it isn't now after the update.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Unofficial information gathered from other sites suggests that Sprint is upgrading towers on several markets to deal with data congestion. So far I haven't seen any official statement about this, but it has also been suggested to me by several CS and technical support people from Sprint during my calls.

This seems like a plausible expalnation why my data speeds are so variable and at times I find the phone working on Rev.0 (or even 1x) for hours on some days. As I was saying, this is not only happening on my Nexus, but also on my other phones as well so is certainly a network issue at this point on my market.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
thanks everyone, im going to get it. One last question. I have 4 email accounts I check with my evo using the email program. They're all imap accounts. Presumably the app i use is an htc app. Any suggestions as to what is out there that will manage my mail? Thanks

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks everyone, im going to get it. One last question. I have 4 email accounts I check with my evo using the email program. They're all imap accounts. Presumably the app i use is an htc app. Any suggestions as to what is out there that will manage my mail? Thanks
There is both a gmail and email app on the Nexus. I've never messed with the email app but I see no reason why it wouldnt support multiple email accounts.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Experts -

3) Will netflix work?

thanks
I bought this Nexus after Sprint's gingerbread update crashed the voice recognition on my evo(s). I love the Nexus. On the battery life- there is one issue that is a major thing that bugs me about the epic and nexus that I've owned. When battery life drains to zero and I have a three hour drive home from work- seems like I can't do much on my phone until it get's a good "lead" on the charge.
With HTC, I can plug in a phone where the battery is 100% dead and it will charge, and I will be able to use it fully.
With the nexus- if I plug it in and say listen to pandora while I run google maps for navigation- it will literally die on me while plugged in.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought this Nexus after Sprint's gingerbread update crashed the voice recognition on my evo(s). I love the Nexus. On the battery life- there is one issue that is a major thing that bugs me about the epic and nexus that I've owned. When battery life drains to zero and I have a three hour drive home from work- seems like I can't do much on my phone until it get's a good "lead" on the charge.
With HTC, I can plug in a phone where the battery is 100% dead and it will charge, and I will be able to use it fully.
With the nexus- if I plug it in and say listen to pandora while I run google maps for navigation- it will literally die on me while plugged in.

That sounds more like a charger issue to me. I don't have that issue

Sent from my Transformer

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
That sounds more like a charger issue to me. I don't have that issue

Sent from my Transformer

Hmmm. You know you could be right in that this is always an issue while charging in the vehicle (that's my home). I use a charger that I think puts out 800 mah....but that's the only spec I know. I do know its not an issue with HTC.
..I really do have a suspicion that what I am describing has to do with the way power is managed on the different devices though. I talk about 6000 minutes a month and use about 4 to 5 gigs of data....so trust me I'm deeply familiar with my charging experiences. :)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. You know you could be right in that this is always an issue while charging in the vehicle (that's my home). I use a charger that I think puts out 800 mah....but that's the only spec I know. I do know its not an issue with HTC.
..I really do have a suspicion that what I am describing has to do with the way power is managed on the different devices though. I talk about 6000 minutes a month and use about 4 to 5 gigs of data....so trust me I'm deeply familiar with my charging experiences. :)

Its definitely possible. I use a lot of data, but not many minutes. My Pre used to do what you're describing, hut I haven't had the problem with any of my Android phones

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance