Ok, after much debate and $50, I traded my Evo 4G for the Nexus S. The research showed that Nexus S has better battery life and clearly a better screen. (I watch a lot of netflix on it) I've been under the impression that this is the "now" phone but I'm not sure what's next? I installed Launcher Pro to give me more of that HTC Sense feeling but it's still lacking. (Is it worth paying for the upgrade?) The lack of visual voicemail is annoying but I'm using youmail so it's similar. I guess the question is, what's so special about this phone? I miss the Sprint TV and the facebook integration but they're not dealbrekers.

What would rooting really do for me? Can I make it look more like the evo? Will it run faster? Can I destroy the phone by rooting? What rom's would get me that full featured phone experience and what apps are worth getting when rooted?

I guess the speed and battery life are cool but the phone is so plain and I'm not used to it. Experts, steer me in the right direction. I'm willing to root if it really makes a difference.

I thought I was a phone nerd, but clearly not. Now I've got a phone I;m stuck with for the next year at least.

Thanks
    08-07-2011 09:15 PM
    Why would u want it to look "more like an Evo" when u traded your Evo in for it?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.
    Sehtam likes this.
    08-07-2011 09:26 PM
    Why would u want it to look "more like an Evo" when u traded your Evo in for it?

That's a good question.
    08-07-2011 09:53 PM
    If your objective is to load the Nexus with programs to make it look like Evo's Sense, you should reconsider owing a Nexus and go back to an HTC product instead.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    HighLife#AC and User One like this.
    08-07-2011 11:34 PM
    The evo is running HTC's android. The nexus is running Google's. Its only as plain as you want it to be in that regard. The market is your friend when you have a nexus phone.
    For Facebook you don't have to use htcs version and the Facebook app that can't be removed from the phone, you can use friendcaster pro for instance.
    For visual voicemail use Google voice or any other vvm app
    For calendars you have the market flooded with calendar app options.
    Some people just prefer HTC bands because of sense, personally I find it too shiny and white. I like the black and gray of real android better.

What's special is that this phone is unmodded. No unremoveable sprint apps, no breaking the loader needed to root it. No manufacturer delays on updates to the latest version of android. When ics comes out this phone will get it before any HTC, Motorola or Samsung skinned phones. If you want sprint TV just search the innertubes. Its out there. The point is that with this phone that is an option, not a requirement.
    Rooting the phone is extremely easy, yes you can break it but its highly unlikely.

colestein likes this.
    08-08-2011 06:42 AM
    First 2 sentences of the post before mine
    colestein likes this.
    08-08-2011 06:57 AM
    Cm7 has a lot of sense-like features.
    You can download sprint tv from the market.

Give it a little while, you will start to enjoy things about the nexus just like you did with your evo.

colestein likes this.
    08-08-2011 10:00 AM
    Thanks people. As to why would I get a Nexus S when I liked the Evo? The battery on the evo was awful as was the phone reception. Both are better here but I would like certain features that the Evo had such as the (non gmail) email app, sprint tv, calendar, and contacts manager.

I made a mistake!
    I traded with a guy on Cragislist so I'm kinda stuck. I was hoping someone would have some valuable advice, and appreciate those who did give some. Any other advice would be helpful.
    08-08-2011 11:20 AM
    Thanks

I made a mistake!
    I traded with a guy on Cragislist so I'm kinda stuck. I was hoping someone would have some valuable advice, and appreciate those who did give some. Any other advice would be helpful.
    I too gave up my original Evo and I regret it. I now have a Nexus and an Evo 3d, and for me the original EVO 4g was best. I got 2 days battery life after the recent OS update. The 3d has not grown on me, and the Nexus web browser is far inferior to HTC's browsers IMO. I recommend trying the Opera browser , and LauncherPro on your Nexus.
    08-08-2011 10:58 PM
    Thanks people. As to why would I get a Nexus S when I liked the Evo? The battery on the evo was awful as was the phone reception. Both are better here but I would like certain features that the Evo had such as the (non gmail) email app, sprint tv, calendar, and contacts manager.

I made a mistake!
    There is an explanation here somewhere on how to get Sprint apps on the Nexus. It is possible. There are a ton of email apps on the market if you don't like the Nexus one. Give them a shot until you find one you like. That kind of applies to all your other app issues to. The Nexus is miles ahead of the EVO, you'll grow to appreciate it. You just need to get it set up and customized how you like.

Sent from my Transformer
    08-08-2011 11:13 PM
    What was it that you liked about the EVO that the Nexus doesn't do? With the vanilla platform on the nexus you can customize your phone just about anyway you want. If there is anything in particular you would like a "fix" for, please post it in here and we can help you get your phone where you want it to be.

If you still don't like the Nexus after another week or so I will trade you an EVO for your Nexus S straight up.
    08-08-2011 11:19 PM
    The Nexus is miles ahead of the EVO, you'll grow to appreciate it.

Sent from my Transformer
    How so....besides the battery?

08-08-2011 11:28 PM
    How so....besides the battery?

speed, screen, size, weight, camera... Overall performance. Hummingbird owns snapdragon, and scorpion.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    08-08-2011 11:32 PM
    speed, screen, size, weight, camera... Overall performance. Hummingbird owns snapdragon, and scorpion.
    ^^^what he said^^^

The screen is much better, the camera is better, and Hummingbird craps on Snapdragon. The Nexus is MUCH faster. Size and weight is up to the user, but I prefer the smooth, sleek form of the Nexus to the brick that is the EVO. I loved my EVO, but its not even close.

Sent from my Transformer
    08-08-2011 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD