Google voice - Way to do voicemail ONLY - Not texts?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for forum dumping. I did a search first, I promise.

As we know, visual voicemail doesn't work with the Nexus S for Sprint. (Does it work if I root?)
I tried to do the google voice thing as Sprint suggested but it seems to take over my texts. They no longer go through handsent or stock text app. That's annoying to me for some reason and the text features on google voice are somewhat limited.

So.. is there a way to get google voice to ONLY handle voicemail and nothing else? I really miss my visual voicemail? I'm using "youmail" but I feel weird about a 3rd party hosting my VM, especially when I pay Sprint a monthly fee.

Any advice or magic bullets as to how to make google voice do what I want, or to make visual voicemail work?

Thanks

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to gv website. Disable integration. Sign out of gv on your phone. Go to market and make sure you have the latest version of gv. Really make sure though. It didn't have an update button for me. Just install.

Go into gv app now do as you did before but hit the skip button. It will take you through and set up the voicemail only.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Oooooooooooor, before he does all that, he can just uncheck the Receive Text Messages On This Phone box.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You mean check it. Because he doesn't want Google voice to so it. But then he needs to turn off all gv notifications for it. Getting voicemail through email.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You mean check it. Because he doesn't want Google voice to so it. But then he needs to turn off all gv notifications for it. Getting voicemail through email.
No, I mean uncheck it.

For starters, he needs to clarify if he's using his Sprint number as his Google Voice number or if he's using his Sprint number AND a Google Voice number. If the latter then he can absolutely manage voicemails through the app while still using whichever messaging app for texts.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I really feel like an idiot today but appreciate you guys helping out.
What I wanted was my old sprint visual voicemail. Heck, I'd be fine with regular voicemail but there's no notification icon.

I've only got one number, it's my sprint number. I understand I have to make that my google voice number, which I did.
I (thought i did) checked/unchecked the appropriate boxes. It stopped sending me transcribed texts of my voicemails but still took over the receipt of all of my texts. I suppose I should dump youmail and keep trying different configurations until I find something that works. I was hoping someone knew the magic step I was missing...
Thanks again. Sorry to be a noob. I'm really trying to learn.
If I can't get voicemail down, then rooting seems like it's out of the question. Yikes!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No, I mean uncheck it.

For starters, he needs to clarify if he's using his Sprint number as his Google Voice number or if he's using his Sprint number AND a Google Voice number. If the latter then he can absolutely manage voicemails through the app while still using whichever messaging app for texts.

I'm going by the title which would indicate that he has integration if his texts are coming through GV.

1) Sprint Visual Voicemail does not work on the Nexus
2) As far as I know the notification for REGULAR sprint voicemail does come up. It did when I had it.
3) He integrated his Sprint number with GV to get GV+S. However, he doesn't want the texts to be handled through GV. If he wanted to have voicemail through GV but no texts he has 2 options:

A) With current GV+S Configuration: you can enable text messages to your phone through the regular SMS app my CHECKING the box for messages. This will cause double notification from both apps. You THEN! have to turn off notifications to your GV app if you don't want double notifications. BUT, if you want your voicemail notifcations you'll have to have them forwarded to your email because it won't come through with notifications off. (You can still listen to them through there).

B)To uae GV JUST FOR VOICEMAIL: Go onto the GV website. Disable Sprint integration. Go to your app on your phone. Sign out. MAKE SURE you have the newest version of GV. Go to the market. If there is and install button install. (OR if it says update update). THEN, the next time you open up your GV app you will have the option to SKIP integration. Which, will then guide you through signing in and setting up voicemail (visual) for GV. It will give you a number to dial and click through the steps. Then you won't have integration. you want have SMS through the app (unless to your GV number) and your missed calls with forward to gv number for voicemail.

Reactions: hjstod

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Now that I know he's using his Sprint number I would have him either get an actual Google Voice number or do your B method.

I DIDN'T KNOW FOR SURE, OK????????

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My set up is: integrated option B. Inbox sync and Notifications turned off in Google voice app. Notifications turned on in messaging.
When I get a text telling me I have a voicemail, I open the Google voice app and it refreshes instantly. I listen to the new message. Easier than gmail setup IMO because it can all be done from the phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My set up is: integrated option B. Inbox sync and Notifications turned off in Google voice app. Notifications turned on in messaging.
When I get a text telling me I have a voicemail, I open the Google voice app and it refreshes instantly. I listen to the new message. Easier than gmail setup IMO because it can all be done from the phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I like the setup. Yes, (I did email instead of SMS notification for voicemail though). However, I'm afraid of GV+S sprint. I've had so many issues with it. Such as not receiving phone calls ALL day because of a bug on someones end. Had to disable to receive calls. I don't get many phone calls; so, when I do: they are usually important and I can't be missing them.

I just use GV for voicemail. And, not that I've used it; but, I feel it more useful to be able to dial from a second number instead of mine from my phone.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
And, not that I've used it; but, I feel it more useful to be able to dial from a second number instead of mine from my phone.
I really wish there was a way to do the full integration and also have a second number. MightyText works well enough for PC texting but the Chrome extension for Google Voice works better. That's the ONLY thing I miss about full integration but I use multiple numbers daily.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I really wish there was a way to do the full integration and also have a second number. MightyText works well enough for PC texting but the Chrome extension for Google Voice works better. That's the ONLY thing I miss about full integration but I use multiple numbers daily.

I miss being able to text from a computer; but, I'm usually not on a computer so... not really missed I guess. And, the ability to ring other phones with my sprint number; but, since I spend most of my day near a EXT phone I don't need it. And have airave now so I don't need to ring the house phone anymore. I can use my phone.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You are not dumb, dealing with too many new things at once can be overwhelming... hang in there, it will start to make sense soon.

If it makes him feel any better; When I switched from Blackberry to Android I used the regular email app for my GMAIL for like 3 days. (Not knowing to use the Gmail app). Not sure how long I would have been using it if the regular email app pushed notifications and actually synced my inbox on the epic... otherwise I wouldn't have looked for the problem.

d14racer24

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've read through this, and I'm not quite sure I understand how to only do VM. I don't remember seeing anything during the setup to not receive texts. I don't see anything in my online GV settings to disable Sprint integration. I have a check box for "Receive text messages on this phone," which I have unchecked but am still receiving text messages through GV. I signed out of GV on my phone, and it said it would remove all my settings, so I did that and signed back in. I'm not sure if this solved any issue as I haven't had any texts yet. This seems like it is a lot harder than it should be, IMO. Also, so GV handles all my calls now? Instead of what? I was a little concerned that one of the posters was not receiving calls because, like him/her, I don't get very many calls, but the ones I do are typically important.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to the whole GV on the phone. I'm used to just managing it online, having a dummy number and it ringing multiple lines at once.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
there is a step in the setup where google voice integrates your SPRINT number and turns it into your Google Voice number.

go to the GV webpage of your account and look and see what number is displayed.

d14racer24

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok, I do remember that step. I told it to use my Sprint number for GV instead of the number I previously had set up for GV. When I go to my online settings it is set to my Sprint number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084