I know most people have it but no matter what I did it wouldn't update. I tried finding "Market" or "Android Market" in the Market but it didn't exist. Restarts didn't work, punching in the ## code didn't work, what finally worked was the following steps:

1. I installed (via the Market) "Android Market Security Tool" (It'll say you don't need to install it, you do)
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ctool.v1&hl=en

2. After it downloaded and installed, I clicked the notification to open it up

3. The Market opened up to the "app's" page and then immediately quit (you might have to click the "open" button)

When I opened the market again, it was the new version.
    08-10-2011 12:22 AM
    That Security Tool is used to remove the Droid Dream virus from your phone. It doesn't do anything if you don't have the virus in the first place. This is why Google says you don't need it, not many people got hit by it and those that did will need that app to clean their phone.

The best way to do it is to open the Market, let it load fully, hit the Home button. Then go into the Market's properties in Settings > Manage Applications and it should say "Computing..." and it'll install by itself, no need to do anything.

What worked for you was the Market opening up and closing. That initiates an update (if there is one), it just doesn't work immediately sometimes. The Security Tool didn't do anything. If it did, then your phone had a virus.
    08-10-2011 12:57 AM
    um, no. it was definitely installing that app that made it update. Google's apps are notorious for not updating automatically. when I installed the security tool and it looked for a market app with a different version number, that is what prompted the update.
    08-10-2011 07:44 AM
    It seems you don't understand what the Android Market Security Tool is. It's a tool that was created by Google to remove the Droid Dream virus from phones. It does not look for new versions, it does not update your market, it just scans your system. That's all. If you have a Windows machine, it's the equivalent of the Malicious Software Removal Tool that Microsoft gives out every so often via Windows Update.

The Market isn't an app, honestly. It's a service that's a part of the OS itself and is built into the OS. You can't find an update on the Android Market because it's not an app.

The only thing that updated the Market was that it opened and closed. That's all there is to it.

Android 1.6 - 2.3

Launch Android Market
    Switch to the Home screen
    Wait 5-10 minutes for Market to self-update
    Re-launch Market
    Updating Android Market - Android Market Help
    08-10-2011 08:54 AM
    Saturday I could not download anything from the market, phone kept randomly asking me to sign in to my Google account, ya know typing the stupid graphic letters you can barely read, but no change. I had 4g reception, was surfing the net with no problems. Ended up emailing the market support, they said the preform a factory reset. Great! Backed up what I could and reset. When the phone restarted, new market 3.0. Haven't the any problems since, besides lossing all my progress in angry birds.
    08-10-2011 09:22 AM
    um, no. it was definitely installing that app that made it update. Google's apps are notorious for not updating automatically. when I installed the security tool and it looked for a market app with a different version number, that is what prompted the update.
    Downloading that tool made no difference at all. It is purely coincidence that it did. All you needed to do was go into your manage applications, find Market under all apps, then clear data. It would of forced the update to the Market. However you mention Google is notorious for apps not updating? Guess your one of the few. I have never had an issue with that. So don't generalize based on your issues. That is a baseless statement. You should also of been aware after it being mentioned multiple times that this Market update was pushed out in waves, and is still being pushed to this day.
    08-11-2011 02:21 AM
    I have a silly but (I think) tangential question. I am curious how one gets to the "Sprint tab" in the new market. I'm still very new to Android (got a Nexus last week during Best Buy's upgrade special), and *do* have the new Market (3.0.27).

I don't want to install Sprint's bloatware, but I'm curious what stuff is in that area...
    08-11-2011 03:40 PM
    I have a silly but (I think) tangential question. I am curious how one gets to the "Sprint tab" in the new market. I'm still very new to Android (got a Nexus last week during Best Buy's upgrade special), and *do* have the new Market (3.0.27).

I don't want to install Sprint's bloatware, but I'm curious what stuff is in that area...
    Click on apps. Then scroll down. It should be under the featured tab right when you get in. Grey box.
    kuoirad likes this.
    08-11-2011 03:54 PM
    ive been trying all these ways and still can't get the update to the market!
    now the clear data button is not higlighted at all so i can't try that one!
    any help here?!
    09-28-2011 04:11 PM
    here is the direct link to download it!
    Grab the new Android Market Right HERE! | Android Community
    wbrador and cutonelose like this.
    09-28-2011 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD