Simple question for everyone. Do you guys use folders? I want to start to use them but the plain folder icon is so ugly. I was surfing the web and I saw somewhere the folder icon on this guys phone looked like the iphone ones with the mini icons on the folders for like games and social networking.

Any thoughts or help would be great. I think declutering my homescreens would make everything look better.
    08-11-2011 01:59 PM
    Folder Organizer: https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

It lets you select an icon for the folder. The actual folder system is based on tags. When you install a new app, it notifies you to select a tag. If that tag has a folder, that app will automatically be placed in that folder. The link is to the free version. The paid version gives some added functionality and editing capabilities.
    08-11-2011 02:13 PM
    I used one folder when I had game emulators I was using frequently.

For example all three of my screens are set up with 2 rows of icons on the bottom; and, a widget on top. (Power control, weather, music player). On my "media" page I couldn't fit everything with just 2 rows on the bottom; so, I grouped all the emulators into one folder to save space.

I think I would use folders more if I could customize the way they look. So ugly. I know someone who uses one screen and just puts a bunch of folders on his main screen.

I do like the way they open though. Right now I have no folders.

All my apps I need fit on one 3 home screens the way I like them. With the exception of one or 2 I leave in the app draw cause I rarely use them.

For instance my main page (Social/communications) I have twitter, facebook, email etc.
    Then i have a media page with gallery, music, netflix, etc.
    Then, another, for "business". Docs, calendar, calc, file manager, etc.

I don't have many apps though and everything fits on 3 screens for me.
    08-11-2011 02:13 PM
    Folder Organizer: https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

It lets you select an icon for the folder. The actual folder system is based on tags. When you install a new app, it notifies you to select a tag. If that tag has a folder, that app will automatically be placed in that folder. The link is to the free version. The paid version gives some added functionality and editing capabilities.
    Hey, that's cool.
    08-11-2011 02:20 PM
    Not exactly folders, but I know quite a few people like Circle Launcher.
    08-11-2011 02:49 PM
    Cool thanks for the ideas. I might try one or both of them. I'm running out of space on my homescreens.
    Way to much stuff going on. I have way to many apps. lol
    08-11-2011 03:14 PM
    I have way to many apps. lol
    I hear ya. Every week or two I'll go to My Apps in the settings and scroll through to see what can be uninstalled. Almost every time I can get rid of at least two or three that I don't use. I try not to be an app hoarder.
    08-11-2011 03:26 PM
    Yea, for my frequently used applications

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    08-11-2011 05:12 PM
    I tried to use folders, and I also used to fill all of my homescreens with icons or widgets. Now I tend to prune and only put icons that I use daily and/or need quick access to. Otherwise I just use the app launcher..... the 3D effect is pretty, so I'm okay with the extra second that it takes.
    08-11-2011 05:36 PM
    Just wanted to add that I added a folder this morning to one of my home screens. Seesmic was doing weird things for me. Not deleting posts/showing deleted posts/comment counters on facebook weird/comments not showing up. So now I reinstalled facebook and twitter and have Google+. What an array. Made a folder, lol.
    08-12-2011 11:29 AM
    Last night I downloaded Folder Organizer lite and its great. I was able to go down to only 3 home screens. I can post some pictures later if people are interested. Still not 100% happy with the lay out but I can work on that today. I have a sports, social, apps, tools, games and an entertaiment folder.
    The folder icons almost look like the iphone folder icons. Where you can see a smaller verison of the app logo inside the folder. Not bad.
    08-12-2011 01:53 PM
    So, I forgot about this bug as I haven't used folders in a while. Appears to still be here in 2.3.5. Or maybe it's just me.

Here's what happening (Not all the time; but, once it does the only fix is a reboot).

Folder is on screen 1 in position A. When moving an application on page 2 to position A the icon disappears. This happens and doesn't stop happening until reboot. If you move the icon to any other position than A (Which is same position as screen 1s A) say B or C... it works fine.

Now here's whats funny. Go back to screen 1 and open the folder. Nothing has changed. Reboot to fix the problem. Move application on screen 2 to position A and it places it there no problem. But, then, when you go into the folder on screen 1after reboot. The amount of attempts you made to get your application to move to position A on screen 2 without disappearing.... that's how many applications (of the same application) you have in the folder!

So I go into the folder and have 15 netflix apps in there. Which are only there after reboot where the reboot fixes the icon from disappearing from screen 2. Which, makes me believe that some how the system is confused on what screen it's in... and is placing them in the folder on the other screen since it's in the same position. But they don't appear until reboot.

Anyone else have this happen? I can do it right now but it won't happen. It's random. I had it happen a lot on 2.3.4 when I actually had the folder in use though. (About every time I would move an app which wasn't often but every time I tried to it seemed to happen. No reboots for days prior to that)
    08-12-2011 03:06 PM
    haha. I thought I was going nuts last night.I had this problem happen to me. If I am understanding you correctly. You would try to move the app to a certian spot and it will disappear into the blackhole of apps. What I did was just press where I wanted the app or folder and place the folder or app there with a long press and then select the app. Does that make sense? I haven't restarted my phone in ages.
    08-12-2011 04:03 PM
    haha. I thought I was going nuts last night.I had this problem happen to me. If I am understanding you correctly. You would try to move the app to a certian spot and it will disappear into the blackhole of apps. What I did was just press where I wanted the app or folder and place the folder or app there with a long press and then select the app. Does that make sense? I haven't restarted my phone in ages.
    Yes, that's exactly right. I guarantee you 100% if you restart your phone right now and look in a folder on a different page or something you'll find a bunch of apps in there and not know how they ended up there.
    08-12-2011 04:16 PM
    Nope nothing was there. My folders were fine. Maybe it's a problem if you use the default folders. I was using the folder organizer lite folders.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    08-12-2011 08:55 PM
    Yea. Probably only the stock folders.
    08-12-2011 10:57 PM
    Yes, I use folders to group stuff together that are alike.
    08-12-2011 11:12 PM
    Yes, Folders are great! Here is a lot more on Folders
    08-13-2011 12:31 AM
    I've only used them on my tablet for games and such. Not much on my phone

From Nexus with love
    08-13-2011 09:12 AM
    The folder icons almost look like the iphone folder icons. Where you can see a smaller verison of the app logo inside the folder. Not bad.
    You can also assign an individual icon to the folder with Folder Organizer. There are some standard icon packs accessible through the menu.
    08-13-2011 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD