[HOW TO] Setup Google Voice with Sprint and have separate numbers

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
NOTE: These directions were written on a phone with a small screen size, so your screen may display differently. The general idea is still the same and all processes should go in the same order. :)

There have been many questions about setting up Google Voice properly since Sprint and Google attempted to merge the Google Voice settings for phone numbers/voicemail. Even if you have already merged your numbers, you can separate them and use them as different lines when calling people. Follow these instructions. :)

NOTE: For those that have already merged your number (whether by accident or you just want to change it back now) need to complete these two steps before proceeding.

1: Uninstall Google Voice from phone.
2: Login to www.google.com/voice and click "disable" here:
Click here:
gv_online2.png

Then disable here (mine says enable, yours will say disable if you have it "synced"):
NOTE: If you link does not say "disable" then skip this step and continue to instructions.
gv_online3.png

EVERYONE SHOULD BE AT THE SAME POINT BEFORE GOING FURTHER.
-No Google Voice on phone.
-Disable link clicked on www.google.com/voice OR never activated before

Now, on to setting it up! :)

Download and install to phone:
gv_download.png

Open up Google Voice and DO NOT TAP ANYTHING! (This is a very important step)
You will see this:
gv_setup1.png

Scroll down until you see this "hidden" skip button ;) and tap it:
gv_setup2.png

Sign in with gmail account:
gv_setup3.png

Tap "Next":
gv_setup4.png

Select this so that you have the option when making calls (this can be changed later):
gv_setup5.png

Tap "Next":
gv_setup6.png

Click number to dial (just to be certain) and then tap "Configure" to continue:
Note: Dialing the number does not result in a voice call to anyone. It just dials a system to update.
gv_setup7.png

Select "Google Voice":
gv_setup8.png

If you get this notice, just select "OK" and then hit the physical back button to get back to Google Voice setup:
gv_setup9.png

Click "Finish":
gv_setup10.png

NOW, you must do one more thing to make Google Voice work!
Go to www.google.com/voice
Click here:
gv_online2.png

Then click here to activate your new Google voicemail to send notifications to your phone!:
NOTE: If you get any additional popups here just click ok/done to dismiss them.
gv_online4.png

Now, you can add the widget to your home screen and have someone call you to give it a try. For the first time, give it a few minutes to update before thinking it doesn't work. Enjoy! :D

Reactions: giograves and ccrs8

wordweaver

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW TO] Setup Google Voice with Sprint and have separate num

This is great info and it should be a sticky. However, I do have a question relating to voice: I have a fully integrated number, but I have this voicemail notification that will NOT go away. I think this must be because I had voicemail when I integrated my carrier number and to be my google voice number. Anyway, it drives me crazy. And, I have found the notifications on google voice for new voicemail to be suckmost to say the least. The thing NEVER transcribes anything correctly, so I get lots of voice gibberish in the text/notification part of google voice. Sometimes this is unnerving, like when voice transcribed a message from my twelve year old as "in strange car riding" when, in fact, she was leaving me a voicemail to find out "am I still a car rider today?"

I hate that this isn't any easier to use and I am afraid to go in and fiddle with the Google Voice -- someone on this forum mentioned that if you have fully integrated your number with google voice and then un-integrate in order to clear that old voicemail notification icon off the phone, then I might not be able to re-integrate my Sprint and Google Voice number again.

Am I the only one confused? Perplexed? Irritated?

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm not trying to be cynical but I think this same thing can be achieved just by disabling Sprint integration on Google Voice website and going back to the previous G'Voice number.

Simply by enabling and then disabling Sprint integration on the website, I can still:
- have 2 different numbers
- specify that I want to ask/always/never use GV number
- use GV for voicemail
- text message back and forth using my GV number with the stock messaging app
- use the GV app for inbox sync

Could you clarify what the end result of these instructions achieves?

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

I am having the problem of NOT getting text/vm from google voice unless i go into gv on the phone and am listening to a previously read/heard vm - any suggestions?

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am having the problem of NOT getting text/vm from google voice unless i go into gv on the phone and am listening to a previously read/heard vm - any suggestions?

Hey porthos. I was trying to help you out in another forum too.

In Google voice online in the phone tab. make sure "receive text messages on this phone" is enabled.
In the google voic app make sure text message notification is enabled and not inbox notifications.
Make sure that notifications are turned on in your messenger client (if you use more than one you must turn the other off).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance