My office gets awful Sprint reception and I could not send out texts and very rarely received them. I finally made the switch to Google Voice and already have noticed MAJOR improvements-sending out texts with no issues, receiving them instantly, etc. I will be using my same Sprint # that my phone was associated with and not creating a new one.

Few Questions:

-I was using GoSMS as my message program before Voice and now all my outgoing texts using Google Voice are not showing in GoSMS, but my incoming are there. There's no way to use GoSMS with Google Voice is there?

-Will Google Voice work as long as I am connected to the internet or do I need to be connected to a cell phone tower?

-Occasionally when people call an automated voice will say "XXX is calling you, press 1 to connect", is there a way to turn this off?

-Any problems that users have been running into as Google Voice as their primary SMS program? Should I make an adjustments to settings?

-Does MMS still not work with Google Voice? If it does not wouldn't I just receive the MMS picture into my GoSMS as long as I have a cellular connection?
    08-17-2011 04:00 PM
    My office gets awful Sprint reception and I could not send out texts and very rarely received them. I finally made the switch to Google Voice and already have noticed MAJOR improvements-sending out texts with no issues, receiving them instantly, etc. I will be using my same Sprint # that my phone was associated with and not creating a new one.

Few Questions:

-I was using GoSMS as my message program before Voice and now all my outgoing texts using Google Voice are not showing in GoSMS, but my incoming are there. There's no way to use GoSMS with Google Voice is there?
    Google Voice doesn't use the SMS storage/database on the phone, so if you send a text with the Google Voice app it won't show up in GoSMS. But if you send a text with GoSMS it will show up in Google Voice. Kinda sucks. You can go all GoSMS or all GV not back and forth and have all the outgoing texts in both places.

-Will Google Voice work as long as I am connected to the internet or do I need to be connected to a cell phone reception?
    Just cell phone reception if you're using it from the phone. But you can call from your Gmail account if you've got internet from your computer.

-Any problems that users have been running into as Google Voice as their primary SMS program? Should I make an adjustments to settings?
    No problems, it's just not as good.

-Does MMS still not work with Google Voice? If it does not wouldn't I just receive the MMS picture into my GoSMS as long as I have a cellular connection?
    MMS won't show up in GV, but it should reach GoSMS when you have cellular.
    08-17-2011 06:41 PM
    Thanks for helping me out, one strange thing, I was able to send/receive texts when I was in airplane mode and connected to wifi? Sure this doesn't work off of data?

And anyone have an answer for this - -Occasionally when people call an automated voice will say "XXX is calling you, press 1 to connect", is there a way to turn this off?
    08-17-2011 10:37 PM
    Texts might work on wifi but calls wont.

Go to your Google Voice webpage settings to turn off that greeting.
    08-17-2011 10:39 PM
    Thanks Chud...mind giving me directions on where to find this? I tried searching in setting for awhile last night.
    08-18-2011 09:15 AM
    google.com/voice

the gear icon in the upper right hand corner

voice settings

calls

call screening ----> off
    08-18-2011 09:32 AM
    -Will Google Voice work as long as I am connected to the internet or do I need to be connected to a cell phone tower?
    It'll still work for texting with just an internet connection. Calling needs cell phone reception.

-Occasionally when people call an automated voice will say "XXX is calling you, press 1 to connect", is there a way to turn this off?
    Yes, I think it's called call-screening.

I'd add the small google voice widget to your "desktop". It's a great way to quickly see any new messages. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Does MMS still not work with Google Voice? If it does not wouldn't I just receive the MMS picture into my GoSMS as long as I have a cellular connection?
    If you fully integrated google voice and your mobile phone (i.e. no longer have separate google voice number) then I believe you can no longer receive mms. I only receive them when they're sent directly to my mobile phone #, not the google voice number.
    08-18-2011 12:25 PM
    If you fully integrated google voice and your mobile phone (i.e. no longer have separate google voice number) then I believe you can no longer receive mms. I only receive them when they're sent directly to my mobile phone #, not the google voice number.
    I have been fully integrated for a while now and have been receiving MMS. It just goes to the stock messaging app instead of the GV app.
    08-18-2011 01:58 PM
    Thanks for the help, really a huge help...one final question-when I am on the phone are my minutes being used or just data? same with texts...going against my text count or data?
    08-18-2011 05:09 PM
    Voice minutes.

Text data.
    08-18-2011 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD