Hotspot Apps

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What hotspot apps are you guys running? All require root, right?

My phone is unrooted, and I would prefer to stay that way if I could. Rooting wipes the phones memory from what I've read, and I'm too lazy to take the time to restore everything if I dont' have to!

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You're correct, all the tethering apps require root as far as I know.

Rooting doesn't wipe the phone, unlocking the bootloader does.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any guide to rooting the phone that doesn't also include unlocking.

So, what hotspot app are you using, and where do you get it?

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, they go hand in hand, you have to unlock the bootloader to root.

I'm using Wireless Tether, it's free from the Market. Only downside is that it's ad-hoc tethering, I haven't found an infrastructure mode tether yet.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, they go hand in hand, you have to unlock the bootloader to root.

I'm using Wireless Tether, it's free from the Market. Only downside is that it's ad-hoc tethering, I haven't found an infrastructure mode tether yet.
You can install a hack that gives you back the original infrastructure tethering.

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You can install a hack that gives you back the original infrastructure tethering.
The hack that's being referred to, is that Pete's? Also I switch back and forth from wifi tether to Barnacle. Its free from the market also, I kinda like barnacles interface better than wifi tether.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, I finally rooted my phone, but I'm not clear about whether these apps will do 4G tethering.

Is it limited to 3G by the phone, or will WiFi Tether or Barnacle do 4G? If they don't do 4G, then I may as well just stick with the stock Tethering, which is working fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis