New to Nexus S 4G (From HTC EVO)

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

New to the Nexus S world and absolutely love it. I have had an HTC EVO 4G since launch and when Best Buy had this phone on sale for free this past week, I had to get it. I added a line to get it, actually (which I'll cancel after 30 days from selling the EVO for $200.00).

So, I have questions for it..and ned your help...

1) Why does my network icons (WiFi and Signal Strength) go from Green to White and back again.
2) Are there any widgets you guys would recommend for toggling A)WiFi, B)4G and C) the mobile network all together. The EVO had these and I used them every day and would love them again.
3) Maybe it is just me, but I might be blind...the EVO had a setting to enable "Mobile Websites" in the browser, but this phone doesn't seem to have it.
4) Camera app sucks..but we all know that. I have the paid version of Vignette. Would you recommend using that as the full time photo app? I need something quick with a toddler.
5) I don't know if this is a manufacturer thing, but it drives me crazy. When going to the dialer, I used to be able to just type the name and it would show up. This phone doesn't. Is that normal?
6) No Visual Voicemail, correct? I went ahead and did the Google Voice intergration so I could have that. Seems to be working so far...

Overall I'm happy with the phone..

Im sure I'll have more questions...

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
QUOTE]1) Why does my network icons (WiFi and Signal Strength) go from Green to White and back again.

Green represents connected and gray lack of strong enough signal. There is a discussion about this very issue here, check it out.

2) Are there any widgets you guys would recommend for toggling A)WiFi, B)4G and C) the mobile network all together. The EVO had these and I used them every day and would love them again.

I personally use Quick Settings for this rather than home screen widgets. You can use the Google power widget which has some of the icons you want, or download individual icons from the market. I also use Beautiful Widgets as my home screen clock/weather app, and although I don't use them, this program has very nice set of home screen widgets for most of what you are looking for.

Regarding 4G widget, AFAIK none of the commercially available ones work with the Nexus do to changes in API on Android 2.3. The 4G widget on the Evo is part of Sense and therefore works with the Evo on 2.3.

3) Maybe it is just me, but I might be blind...the EVO had a setting to enable "Mobile Websites" in the browser, but this phone doesn't seem to have it.

No, you are not blind. The Nexus browser is very spartan, the one on the Evo is a sense enhanced version with many additional features not found on the Nexus stock browser. Nevertheless, this browser usually defaults mobile websites when browsing.

4) Camera app sucks..but we all know that. I have the paid version of Vignette. Would you recommend using that as the full time photo app? I need something quick with a toddler.

I have no use for phone camera so I have no useful opinion in this matter.

5) I don't know if this is a manufacturer thing, but it drives me crazy. When going to the dialer, I used to be able to just type the name and it would show up. This phone doesn't. Is that normal?

Just like the browser, the dialer/contact app is very basic and lacks all the extra functions of the Sensed souped one from the Evo. No, name search is not available on this dialer, neither is the ability to organize your contacts on groups from the phone app.

Many use third party dialer apps that offer that functionality. Many here have recommended such as Touch Dialer or Dialer One as good alternatives. My son has a Nexus and he likes Go Contacts/Dialer, reports no problems with it. I have limited needs so the stock dialer works fine for me.

6) No Visual Voicemail, correct?

Correct, visual voicemail being part of Sprint Bloatware is not included in the Nexus. Have seen many report using YouMail for this.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
6) No Visual Voicemail, correct?

I'm not sure exactly the features that Visual VM brings to the table but I just use Google Voice. That does a transcription well enough I think and it integrates perfectly with the Nexus S and Sprint.

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
For the 4G widget get bar control app on the android market then under the settings you can choose anything you want as a notification. Choose the 4g program and vola instant 4g pops you right into the menu so you can toggle it on and off as you wish

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, to answer some of your questions...

I have noticed my service go in and out (as in the bar goes from Green to Grey, then back to Green)... and I have noticed that service does seem weaker in some areas, but I have still been able to use my phone, so that is not an issue to me at this point in time.

Some more questions I have...
1) Why the hell does this thing never get up to 100% Battery? I charge it...it says charged on the home screen, but when I go to battery status (still plugged in) and it is at 93%. Ive never seen it get to 100%...ever...

2) On the EVO, it had a button on the keyboard to make it go away so I could send and SMS or see more screen. How the hell do I do that on this phone?

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
@redsox:
1) Charging to 100% is bad for long term battery health. I think phones that say they are charging to 100% are actaully stopping before that anyway. Like how the fuel gauge in a car is intentionally miscalibrated. So I can't say for certain, but you're probably fine with 93 to 95%.

2) Long press the menu button to hide the keyboard.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
i just got my nexus and the farthest it charges too is 96% so i know exactly what u are talking about.

Look at it like this way, its better then the evo.

if your looking for a "pure google" experience, no bloat ware and a sleek/slick phone that will ALWAYS be update then this is for u.

when i got the nexus, i figured id take it back in the 30 day because it wasnt a power house phone, but to my surprise im more than pleased with it, think about it gingerbread 2.3.5 on it, most phones now arent even on gingerbread yet, and we are on a very advanced bug free version.
besides that battery life is great, there is no carrier ID, no sprint bloat u cant remove without rooting.
its perfect in all ways, unless your someone who likes the apps sprint provides and wants a more bloated phone (they do exist lol)

as for the LED and not having one, im rooted (very easy) and using BLN pro that flashes the buttons under the screen as a notification, so that works.
VM im not using gvoice yet and probably wont, ill just stick to calling vmail. this is kinda a big bummer to me as i loved the visual vmail app.

as for the browser, it should auto go to mobile sites, i personally use dolphin hd from the market, and u can select what u want it to be, desktop sites, mobile sites etc.

as for widgets to controll everything, check out the typical power control widgets, they work great.
as for signal, i may notice it not have a signal at times, but its better then my epic ever was, and at its free price point at BB/30 dollars a sprint. it is the best phone out for the money hands down.

now if it was 199 under contract i would of never gotten it.

but these phones hold their values, check craigslist or similar. i can find evo3ds for 175-225 all day, but not one nexus can be had for under 225 in my area of craigslist!

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I as well come from an Evo and yes with the Evo you had little perks here and there like smart dialing, Sense widgets etc... but all this can be replaced with 3rd party apps from the Market- I prefer launcher pro over the stock one simply because i hate to see a clock on the top right and one in the middle ( beautiful widgets) and the fact that i can add more home screen ( 5). Getting used to the Nexus took me about 3 seconds, now my wife has the Evo 3D and when i use that its nice but I get annoyed by Sense now. Maybe its because I used it for sooo long or simply because its too much LoL. Either way just flashed the Oxygen Rom and its the BEST Rom i have had on the NX4G hands down. Either way weclcome to the forums!:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34