Is it a safe decision to get the Nexus S 4G?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget devices overseas seem to always get updates and much faster than us, they don't have the big 4 carriers putting the breaks on the update process.

Personally I think on Sprint the Nexus S 4g is the best move right now because you just can't depend on what direction the SGSii is going to go... Sammy tried to make everyone believe that the Galaxy S line was going to be different and receive the timely updates after dropping the ball on Moment owners.. Never happened.. Froyo turned out so so after 2 attempts and GB to this point on the Epic 4g has been leak after leak of disappointment. I really do want to believe in Sammy because I'm a big fan of the hardware and you can't beat the displays but I'm not sure what they need to do to regain trust in the public's eye concerning their software updates.

Then once you get it past Sammy, Sprint and the other 3 have to put their fingers all over it and play with it some more causing even more delays....

Pure Google is the only way, lets hope for some Nexus Prime love in the near future :)

Last edited:

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone again for the help. I'm going to go with Sprint and get the Nexus S my next Paycheck and end my Verizon Contract. I can't wait to get this phone and finally be on ANDROID.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone again for the help. I'm going to go with Sprint and get the Nexus S my next Paycheck and end my Verizon Contract. I can't wait to get this phone and finally be on ANDROID.

Yes,
you do have to root, but remember the Nexus is considered a development phone,so its very easy to unlock and root.
very very easy.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes,
you do have to root, but remember the Nexus is considered a development phone,so its very easy to unlock and root.
very very easy.

Do I use Apps like Go Launcher and stuff to help make it faster? I don't think I would be comfortable to root. Plus if it's rooted, wouldn't that mean I can't get all Google's updates when they release them?

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Allen, I, like you, just got the Nexus S and love it. There are things that I love about it and things that took some getting used to coming from the Evo.

I rooted it right away and un rooted it yesterday just so I could learn how to. There are several methods, and several one click methods to do the trick and they are listed on here.

Updates while rooted is iffy. If you root and stay with stock ROM, you will probably get them. If you install custom ROMs, then no.

I'm stock and love it...super fast and no bloat.

Get it and enjoy! :)

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Allen, I, like you, just got the Nexus S and love it. There are things that I love about it and things that took some getting used to coming from the Evo.

I rooted it right away and un rooted it yesterday just so I could learn how to. There are several methods, and several one click methods to do the trick and they are listed on here.

Updates while rooted is iffy. If you root and stay with stock ROM, you will probably get them. If you install custom ROMs, then no.

I'm stock and love it...super fast and no bloat.

Get it and enjoy! :)

I'm going to get this phone within a week or 2. I can't wait!!! Yeah I need to learn how to Root with Stock ROM and learn about kernals I guess. Any links you could give?

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're using your upgrade to get the nexus 4g I would wait and use it on the galaxy s2. It is way more advanced and I'm sure it will be rooted pretty quick. So far the reviews for the Europian version are awesome. If I had money I would give it a try to see how it compares to my 3d.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I did it. I bought the Nexus S 4G and went to Sprint. Waiting on my phone to get here within 2 - 5 days. I can't wait.

Question, how do you back up Apps and phone numbers? I know with Verizon I have an app they give you to do that.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I did it. I bought the Nexus S 4G and went to Sprint. Waiting on my phone to get here within 2 - 5 days. I can't wait.

Question, how do you back up Apps and phone numbers? I know with Verizon I have an app they give you to do that.

With gmail, all you contacts and emails are automatically backed up. As for apps, there are many apps you can download from the Market that will back them up! :)

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
With gmail, all you contacts and emails are automatically backed up. As for apps, there are many apps you can download from the Market that will back them up! :)

I have a gmail account but hardly ever use it. How do I set this process up? Also I heard I can't sync Facebook contacts to my phone so their picture shows up. How do I do this with google gmail?