Constant Connection Loss to Google Servers

violent23

Banned
Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I am here to ask how many of you that have a Nexus S 4G lose their connection (when the green wifi, 3g, and cell symbols turn from green to grey) to Google servers?

This is a constant problem for me. I can not stay signed into Gtalk, I do not get e-mails, and when I use Groove IP that looses my Google connection as well. This has become a huge problem for me.

You can see that there has been a thread created on Google's help forum about this issue here: Nexus S Google connection on & off - Google Mobile Help

You can also see that Google has not responded for 2 months now.

I have also replied in a thread about this problem on XDA as well here: 2.3.4 random google server disconnects - xda-developers

I propose that we get the media involved in this to hopefully get a response from Google, and maybe even a fix. I have forwarded this forum with the tip us button on the main page with hope to get this in an article. I would like to ask that all of you please also forward this to any of the Android or gadget sites you go to or read. Hopefully we can get something done about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: grantheppes

baltien

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Much as I hate to say it, don't expect any resolution from Google regarding this. The problems with the Nexus S are long and documented and have yet to receive any serious attention. If it becomes too much of an issue for you, I'd suggest returning the phone if possible.

violent23

Banned
Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Much as I hate to say it, don't expect any resolution from Google regarding this. The problems with the Nexus S are long and documented and have yet to receive any serious attention. If it becomes too much of an issue for you, I'd suggest returning the phone if possible.

Yes, this is what we should all do, lay down and just except it. That is exactly why it will never be addressed. We need to stand up and draw as much attention to this as possible. That is the only way that problems like this will ever get solved.

Not to mention that this is a documented problem with not just the Nexus S but with most phones on 2.3.x and even some on 2.2. So even as the Nexus S problems are ignored by Google they can not ignore every phone that is manufactured with their OS. Any way you look at this issue, it is apparent that there is something wrong with their servers communicating with Android OS.

As far as I am concerned this should be a huge news story as every new phone that ships with Android 2.3 on it is essentially broken. Most do not notice the connection drop from Google's servers or even know what it means when the icons turn from green to white, but that does not change the fact that this problem exists. I can not tell you how many forum posts I have come across looking into this situation that are about losing connection to Google talk on their Android phones. All of these people do not even understand that it is the loss of connection to Google's servers that causes this problem. And this is just the people with enough sense to go to forums to try and trouble shoot the issue. Just think of how many un-reported cases are out there with this happening or better yet how many people do not even know this problem exists.

This is why we need to bring this problem to light. The news blogs need to be writing articles on this issue to draw attention to why every phone shipped with 2.3 is broken, and why Google is ignoring it.

**I refer to every phone shipped with 2.3 as broken because as I see it if my GOGGLE PHONE can not connect to GOOGLE SERVICES like Gmail, Google Voice, and Google Talk, then the core experience of my phone, and main reason for owning a Google phone is broken.**

baltien

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is what we should all do, lay down and just except it. That is exactly why it will never be addressed. We need to stand up and draw as much attention to this as possible. That is the only way that problems like this will ever get solved.

Not to mention that this is a documented problem with not just the Nexus S but with most phones on 2.3.x and even some on 2.2. So even as the Nexus S problems are ignored by Google they can not ignore every phone that is manufactured with their OS. Any way you look at this issue, it is apparent that there is something wrong with their servers communicating with Android OS.

As far as I am concerned this should be a huge news story as every new phone that ships with Android 2.3 on it is essentially broken. Most do not notice the connection drop from Google's servers or even know what it means when the icons turn from green to white, but that does not change the fact that this problem exists. I can not tell you how many forum posts I have come across looking into this situation that are about losing connection to Google talk on their Android phones. All of these people do not even understand that it is the loss of connection to Google's servers that causes this problem. And this is just the people with enough sense to go to forums to try and trouble shoot the issue. Just think of how many un-reported cases are out there with this happening or better yet how many people do not even know this problem exists.

This is why we need to bring this problem to light. The news blogs need to be writing articles on this issue to draw attention to why every phone shipped with 2.3 is broken, and why Google is ignoring it.

**I refer to every phone shipped with 2.3 as broken because as I see it if my GOGGLE PHONE can not connect to GOOGLE SERVICES like Gmail, Google Voice, and Google Talk, then the core experience of my phone, and main reason for owning a Google phone is broken.**

Actually, I think we agree with each other albeit in different ways. I was simply suggesting not buying their products or returning them if Sprint/Google/Samsung fail to provide adequate support for the device (which appears to be the case). Your suggestion may work as well, though I feel like companies aren't inclined to fix something once they already have your money.

Vote with your dollars.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am here to ask how many of you that have a Nexus S 4G lose their connection (when the green wifi, 3g, and cell symbols turn from green to grey) to Google servers?

This is a constant problem for me. I can not stay signed into Gtalk, I do not get e-mails, and when I use Groove IP that looses my Google connection as well. This has become a huge problem for me.

You can see tat there has been a thread created on Google's help forum about this issue here: Nexus S Google connection on & off - Google Mobile Help

You can also see that Google has not responded for 2 months now.

I have also replied in a thread about this problem on XDA as well here: 2.3.4 random google server disconnects - xda-developers

I propose that we get the media involved in this to hopefully get a response from Google, and maybe even a fix. I have forwarded this forum with the tip us button on the main page with hope to get this in an article. I would like to ask that all of you please also forward this to any of the Android or gadget sites you go to or read. Hopefully we can get something done about this.

Do you have a 11.04 nexus or 11.05 nexus? Check behind your battery. I just got a refurbished 11.05 today and my reception for wifi and 3G has improved. Not a lot but def improved! I read on some other forum people claiming the same thing how the newer 11.05 models are just better all around reception wise.

violent23

Banned
Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I think we agree with each other albeit in different ways. I was simply suggesting not buying their products or returning them if Sprint/Google/Samsung fail to provide adequate support for the device (which appears to be the case). Your suggestion may work as well, though I feel like companies aren't inclined to fix something once they already have your money.

Vote with your dollars.

I agree with you as well, but sadly they already have my dollars. I knew going into this phone what it's short comings were, but this particular problem is just not being reported on, and it should. If this was an Iphone and it could not connect to it's Apple servers people would be going ape****. This should be true of Android users as well. This is a MAJOR problem with all Android models right now, and we should not be sitting here being so compliant with the fact that Google is barely acknowledging it. The last response to this issue was given two months ago, and that response was we have no idea why this is happening. I find it very hard to believe with Google's resources that they can not find a solution. So like I said before this needs to be talked/written about every where we can as to make Google answer us.

Do you have a 11.04 nexus or 11.05 nexus? Check behind your battery. I just got a refurbished 11.05 today and my reception for wifi and 3G has improved. Not a lot but def improved! I read on some other forum people claiming the same thing how the newer 11.05 models are just better all around reception wise.

I have an 11.04 model. But really that is besides the point, as I am not talking about reception issues. This problem is with the phone not connecting to Google's servers (where they sync your info like Google Calendar, App Store, Google Talk, Google Tasks, and Google Voice data). You can be connected to data through wifi or 3g all day and transmit data, but if your icons at the top are white instead of green you are not connected to Google's servers. This is a very bad thing as it is the whole reason to have a Google phone. This is also a larger problem than just our Nexus S phones having it, as it appears that all of Google's phones are having problems with it and that the majority of 2.3 devices are having a really bad issue with it.

From now on anyone that has read this forum please speak up if you notice that your phones wifi, 3g, edge, signal bar icons go from green to white in the taskbar as this is something that should not be happening all of the time.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I had no clue what the color change was and it dropping never bothered me i guess. I am getting rid of my nexus and will pay the etf for the privilege to do so, i should have known to avoid samsung, its one of the worst phones iv had

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you as well, but sadly they already have my dollars. I knew going into this phone what it's short comings were, but this particular problem is just not being reported on, and it should. If this was an Iphone and it could not connect to it's Apple servers people would be going ape****. This should be true of Android users as well. This is a MAJOR problem with all Android models right now, and we should not be sitting here being so compliant with the fact that Google is barely acknowledging it. The last response to this issue was given two months ago, and that response was we have no idea why this is happening. I find it very hard to believe with Google's resources that they can not find a solution. So like I said before this needs to be talked/written about every where we can as to make Google answer us.

I have an 11.04 model. But really that is besides the point, as I am not talking about reception issues. This problem is with the phone not connecting to Google's servers (where they sync your info like Google Calendar, App Store, Google Talk, Google Tasks, and Google Voice data). You can be connected to data through wifi or 3g all day and transmit data, but if your icons at the top are white instead of green you are not connected to Google's servers. This is a very bad thing as it is the whole reason to have a Google phone. This is also a larger problem than just our Nexus S phones having it, as it appears that all of Google's phones are having problems with it and that the majority of 2.3 devices are having a really bad issue with it.

From now on anyone that has read this forum please speak up if you notice that your phones wifi, 3g, edge, signal bar icons go from green to white in the taskbar as this is something that should not be happening all of the time.

From what I noticed though from my 11.04 model is even with 2 bars of wifi it would go from green to white bars losing connection with Google. So I'm telling you with this 11.05 model it seems to hold the connection solid. Even while on 3G as I was out and about all day...

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
From what I noticed though from my 11.04 model is even with 2 bars of wifi it would go from green to white bars losing connection with Google. So I'm telling you with this 11.05 model it seems to hold the connection solid. Even while on 3G as I was out and about all day...

i just checked mine is a 11.05 model and reception is the worst I have ever had with a phone... Its going back to bestbuy this weekend

BIGJOHNB20

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I can at least chime in as say that I too notice my signal bars are white/grey probably more often then they are green. For me, I seem to have a much tougher time staying green while on Wifi vs. regular 3G.

I don't do a whole lot with the Google services (gmail, voice, sync, etc.) HOWEVER, for me it seems like when my reception bars turn white I basically lose reception period. I use the stock browser and maybe it is connected to Google servers somehow, but I often times can't even load a web page if my Wifi turns white. It has become VERY frustrating as my phone is basically unusable for data half the time.

I thought my PRE had some issues, but honestly this lame Nexus has been nothing but garabe since I got it. I really thought Google's "flagship" phone would be better.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the phone I didn't get it that much but within the past couple weeks, it's been going grey fairly often now.

Pack4now

May 4, 2011
Visit site
It is very anoying, and not only that but putting it in airplane mode and then turning airplane mode off doesnt fix it, usually a shut down and restart does it for me. But a pain in the butt...happens in wi-fi and 3g...dont have 4g in this area...(probably never will with sprint). Hope they can fix this issue...this phone is still better and faster then my pre from sprint, but should be since it has a faster processor. Maybe a new phone will help when they have one come out. I like the screen and the speed and some features, still missing the swype to close and the multitasking on the pre, but it still works. Maybe a little more ram would also help this phone.

violent23

Banned
Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Considering T Mobile and AT&T use GSM radios I would say this makes sense. Not so sure if they all use the same WIFI chip though...

All the Nexus S family use the same wifi chip, which is a low-power Broadcomm BCM4329GKUBG WiFi chip. That is why the signal is so week. Google and Samsung both thought it would be a good idea to use such a weak chip just to save a little battery life. Nice of em ain't it.

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-s-gets-torn-down-already

The funny thing is other phones that use the same chip have a better signal. It is just barely usable on our Nexus S phone for some reason.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude