Hey all,

I must say that Android is Life, and nothing is better. HOWEVER, I do find it ironic that there is one HUGE thing that I miss from back-in-the-day with my Windows Mobile Device.

That is, when I had SPRITE on my WM device, I could do a complete, 100% image of the device (including registry entries, system setting, every single letter, line, character, etc) and back it up to my SD card.

I could then do whatever I wanted to the OS, add a virus, delete important registry entries, mess it all up - and all I had to do was factory restore the device, load SPRITE, and restore my backup. Then in was literally back to where I was....

It seems that the SPRITE for Android, along with Titanium (rooted), and mybackup pro combined, still can't do a decent image restore.... Unless I am missing something....

For now, I use 'app backup and restore' and simply check off the apps I want to reinstall on my newly formatted device - and I use the 'restore' data on the apps that allow it (launchers, keyboards, etc). It's not THAT bad... but still, those old days were nice.

Later,

Matt!
    09-12-2011 09:28 AM
    If your rooted then you use Nandroid Backup in ClockWorkMod to do your full image backup and restore of the device.

If your using ROM Manager then make it has the latest CWM installed, otherwise if you installed CWM manually make sure your running the newest CWM which is 5.x.x.x

It does a complete backup of the boot (kernel)/system/data/cache/dalvik and then can be restored completely or by sections.

That is your best option for a full, true backup of your device on Android but you must be rooted which you probably are since you mentioned Titanium and MyBackup Root.

Note: If you use ROM Manager to make your backup you can give your backup's a custom filename verses doing it through CWM only gives it a preset filename/with date which sometimes if you have multiple backups hard to remember which is which.
    09-12-2011 10:14 AM
    If your rooted then you use Nandroid Backup in ClockWorkMod to do your full image backup and restore of the device.

If your using ROM Manager then make it has the latest CWM installed, otherwise if you installed CWM manually make sure your running the newest CWM which is 5.x.x.x

It does a complete backup of the boot (kernel)/system/data/cache/dalvik and then can be restored completely or by sections.

That is your best option for a full, true backup of your device on Android but you must be rooted which you probably are since you mentioned Titanium and MyBackup Root.

Note: If you use ROM Manager to make your backup you can give your backup's a custom filename verses doing it through CWM only gives it a preset filename/with date which sometimes if you have multiple backups hard to remember which is which.
    Paul,

Thanks a ton! I was somewhat familiar with Nandroid, but didn't realize how easily it was automates while using ROM MANAGER. I went ahead and made an image! Now, I am assuming that whenever I wish, I can just restore that image by going through ROM Manager (if I went back to stock, I would have to root, and re-install ROM Manager first). Also, is Nandroid smart enough to know that some of the apps were installed on the SD portion, and to include those as well?

Thanks,

Mat!
    09-13-2011 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD