10-18-2011 12:28 PM
88 1234
tools
    do you have to be rooted to manually install the update? personally i would rather wait for it OTA, cant be much longer... its not like its mango, lol
    09-22-2011 12:20 PM
    You do not have to be rooted to update manaully. If you just go to Google's site you can download the update.zip and then reboot into recovery mode and update that way.
    09-22-2011 12:41 PM
    do you have to be rooted to manually install the update? personally i would rather wait for it OTA, cant be much longer... its not like its mango, lol
    See my post. Link to xda.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    09-22-2011 01:22 PM
    2.3.5 was a 3 week roll out. . I waited though for that one and took about 1.2 weeks. Neither of my Nexus' have the update yet. I've manually done it to check it out and went back to Cm7. I'm racing the 2 phones. See who gets it first. CM7 update or OTA on the stock one. Hahaha.

I personally like waiting as well for the OTA on a completely stock phone. Had some bad luck with the Epic. Actually, 2.3.5 was the first OTA I've ever received with my entire one yea of owning Android. (O, and the one out of the box on launch.)

Just a quick tip though. Doing it rooted and non rooted is the same as each other. Just a different bootloader. Same option.
    09-22-2011 03:52 PM
    Download ROM Manager.
    Open Rom Manager.
    Make Sure You are on most current ClockworkMod Recovery.
    Download Rom.
    Peter Alfonso
    Install the Deodexed "Stock Rooted GWK74".
    Wipe Dalvik. Backup Current. (Do Not Wipe Data and Cache- if you were running the Stock Software, you should be fine. That is only usually done when running a custom ROM).
    Once it reboots, Open ROM Manager.
    Download Rom.
    Peter Alfonso.
    D720SPRKE1.
    Wipe Dalvik. Dont Backup. Dont Wipe Data.
    After that you are done.
    You may want to install Peter Alfonso's Tethering Fix for Tether.
    You will have to reset up your homescreens unless you were running a custom homescreen launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW.

If your phone has a lot of Force Closes then you need to Restore Backup using Rom manager. and make sure you have GRJ90 baseband installed, if not reinstall. Then use Titanium backup to backup all your user apps. Copy Titanium Folder from phone to computer. Do my earlier steps, but when installed GWk74, do wipe data and cache. You will use titanium to get apps back after you install it and bring that folder back over from computer.

Welcome.
    It didn't work quite so easy for me and it auto wiped data.
    Wallet was also force closing

09-22-2011 04:17 PM
    It didn't work quite so easy for me and it auto wiped data.
    Wallet was also force closing

You had to have wipe data checked, it shouldn't auto wipe data if you used ROM manager.

If you backed up before install (with ROM manager) you can go back and restore your phone to how it was. Back your apps up with Titanium Backup, then install the update.
    09-22-2011 04:26 PM
    You had to have wipe data checked, it shouldn't auto wipe data if you used ROM manager.

If you backed up before install (with ROM manager) you can go back and restore your phone to how it was. Back your apps up with Titanium Backup, then install the update.
    Have you used this method yourself and been running with no force closes?

09-22-2011 05:17 PM
    Have you used this method yourself and been running with no force closes?

Yep.
    On my Brothers Phone, Rooted Stock. He hasn't had any force closes.

My phone went from Oxygen Rom to this Stock Rooted, so I wiped data and cache and used titanium backup.

It works.
    09-22-2011 05:58 PM
    Can anyone that got the OTA update go to settings then phone and check what the baseband version is? Thanks in advance.
    09-22-2011 06:56 PM
    its KE1
    09-22-2011 07:50 PM
    Yep.
    On my Brothers Phone, Rooted Stock. He hasn't had any force closes.

My phone went from Oxygen Rom to this Stock Rooted, so I wiped data and cache and used titanium backup.

It works.
    No go here from peters rom, still force closes.
    Going to have to start fresh all over again, im just not ready for that.
    Anyone got a method where I don't gotta wipe?

09-22-2011 07:54 PM
    Download the files to your computer then copy them to your phone then do the flashing through ClockWorkMod.
    09-22-2011 08:13 PM

That is what Titanium Backup is for. Backup all user apps. Copy Titanium Folder over to your computer just to be safe.

Wipe Data and Cache. It will start fresh, but then you just install titanium backup and pull that folder back over from your computer and you can bring back all your apps with Data. The only thing that doesnt come back for me is my twitter accounts.
    09-22-2011 08:23 PM
    Download the files to your computer then copy them to your phone then do the flashing through ClockWorkMod.
    That will not solve his problem.
    09-22-2011 08:23 PM
    I can't even make heads or tails of what his problem is anymore. If it's just Wallet force closing, it's probably just Wallet. It did that to plenty of people on here, including myself and including the unmolested Nexus that I applied the OTA update to in the Sprint store this evening.

ROM Manager is buggy at times when doing installs. I just gave him another method but it's probably just the Wallet app like I said since your way is pretty much fool proof.

And +1 on the Titanium Backup.
    grantheppes likes this.
    09-22-2011 08:47 PM
    I can't even make heads or tails of what his problem is anymore. If it's just Wallet force closing, it's probably just Wallet. It did that to plenty of people on here, including myself and including the unmolested Nexus that I applied the OTA update to in the Sprint store this evening.

ROM Manager is buggy at times when doing installs. I just gave him another method but it's probably just the Wallet app like I said since your way is pretty much fool proof.

And +1 on the Titanium Backup.
    Wait, do you work for Sprint or do you just go around randomly updating phones at Sprint locations before they know there is an update? Cause I did that once. L O L.
    09-22-2011 09:49 PM
    That is what Titanium Backup is for. Backup all user apps. Copy Titanium Folder over to your computer just to be safe.

Wipe Data and Cache. It will start fresh, but then you just install titanium backup and pull that folder back over from your computer and you can bring back all your apps with Data. The only thing that doesnt come back for me is my twitter accounts.
    i dont know what happened, but your method messed allot of things up,
    now i no longer have root access with titanium back up, so i cant go back anything up to begin with.

super user is there and im prompted like usual to allow and deny things but still no go.

i wish i never messed with it in the first place and im far from a beginner.
    09-22-2011 10:39 PM
    i dont know what happened, but your method messed allot of things up,
    now i no longer have root access with titanium back up, so i cant go back anything up to begin with.

super user is there and im prompted like usual to allow and deny things but still no go.

i wish i never messed with it in the first place and im far from a beginner.
    Manage Apps. Titanium Backup. Delete Data. Rebring Titanium Backup Folder Over. and it should work.
    09-22-2011 10:56 PM
    Wait, do you work for Sprint or do you just go around randomly updating phones at Sprint locations before they know there is an update? Cause I did that once. L O L.
    No, I don't work for them. We went in there last Thursday to see if they had any of the SGSIIE4GT's in to play with, and they didn't, but the lady working informed me that all the phones, the EVO, EVO3D, SGSIIE4GT's, were the same except for the screen size. Sooooooooooooooo I left. Went back in today because my brother wanted to try the SGSIIE4GT. While he was messing with it I was comparing the stock NS4G screen to my Voodoo screen and noticed the update icon so I did the update.

Also while waiting I was informed by the same lady as the first time that the SGSIIE4GT has now somehow attained "the ****" status in her eyes. She then went on to sell a couple two EVO's instead of the 3D's like they wanted because "the EVO won't be made anymore and they're will be a huge demand for them on Craigslist."
    09-22-2011 11:23 PM

Are you running the stock rom? I saw in another thread you are running another rom. My directions said you do not have to wipe unless you were running a custom rom. Are you running a custom rom?

09-23-2011 12:19 AM
    No, I don't work for them. We went in there last Thursday to see if they had any of the SGSIIE4GT's in to play with, and they didn't, but the lady working informed me that all the phones, the EVO, EVO3D, SGSIIE4GT's, were the same except for the screen size. Sooooooooooooooo I left. Went back in today because my brother wanted to try the SGSIIE4GT. While he was messing with it I was comparing the stock NS4G screen to my Voodoo screen and noticed the update icon so I did the update.

Also while waiting I was informed by the same lady as the first time that the SGSIIE4GT has now somehow attained "the ****" status in her eyes. She then went on to sell a couple two EVO's instead of the 3D's like they wanted because "the EVO won't be made anymore and they're will be a huge demand for them on Craigslist."
    Gotta love sprint sales people. I'm glad the one that use to bother me everytime I went in is gone now. Use to pretend to know about the phones. Now the Guy I dealt with last time doesnt even pretend to know when I speak to him. "Nevermind you know more than I do".
    09-23-2011 01:15 AM
    You can manually update. Find the update, rename update.zip. get in recovery, apply update. [ACS] GWK74 Android 2.3.7 update for the Nexus S 4G - xda-developers

I'm not rooted...how would I do this? I have the update.zip, but I don't even know where to place it in the phones directory tree.

I just can't believe that the OTA still hasn't hit. I could care less about the wallet, I just want better reception. The reception on this phone brings the SUCK! If I worked on the other side of the Sprint campus I would have full 4G, but just North of their campus I can barely get 3G most of the time -85.

Never mind...I found your other thread. Thanks
    09-23-2011 07:13 AM
    I'm not rooted...how would I do this? I have the update.zip, but I don't even know where to place it in the phones directory tree.

I just can't believe that the OTA still hasn't hit. I could care less about the wallet, I just want better reception. The reception on this phone brings the SUCK! If I worked on the other side of the Sprint campus I would have full 4G, but just North of their campus I can barely get 3G most of the time -85.

Never mind...I found your other thread. Thanks
    Place it in the root of your sdcard. Then power off. Power on by holding volume up and power at the same time until fasboot shoes. Navigate to recover with the volume rocker. Press power to select. When the package comes up and stops. Hit power and volume up again. It will bring you to recovery. Then select update from zip or whatever it says.
    09-23-2011 12:15 PM
    Got the update about an hour ago - Sprint in New Orleans, have had the phone just short of a month.... Have not seen any differance yet, maybe more bars at home... See Wallet but no where to use it LOL....
    09-23-2011 07:23 PM
    outside Seattle, no update yet, had phone for about a month
    09-23-2011 07:46 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD