NFC Tags / Google Wallet Issue

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I bought my Nexus S 4G, I've kept the NFC off. I live in Boston and keep a CharlieCard in my wallet, which is a plastic "smart" card used on our subway/bus system, which uses NFC. Whenever I'd place my phone near my wallet, the Tags app opens and detects a new "unknown" tag. I could not find any way other than disabling NFC to stop this.

Now, with Wallet, I have a reason to leave NFC on. However, the Tags app still has the CharlieCard issue. I cannot seem to find a way to save the tag so it will stop popping up.

Has anyone found a way to work around this issue? Thanks!

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I bought my Nexus S 4G, I've kept the NFC off. I live in Boston and keep a CharlieCard in my wallet, which is a plastic "smart" card used on our subway/bus system, which uses NFC. Whenever I'd place my phone near my wallet, the Tags app opens and detects a new "unknown" tag. I could not find any way other than disabling NFC to stop this.

Now, with Wallet, I have a reason to leave NFC on. However, the Tags app still has the CharlieCard issue. I cannot seem to find a way to save the tag so it will stop popping up.

I save the same problem in SF. The first thing I did was call the transit authority and ask them if they'd like help transferring the transit card to the chip on the phone....

After you explain how that works and get the run around, I started using different pockets for phone and Transit pass. If I have to use the same pocket, I make sure that my card sits on top of my screen. The NFC chip won't read it if it's on the screen side. That's the best solution I've found for now, plus I have a free screen protector (of sorts).

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Leave NFC off. Then when you start Wallet, it'll simply ask you to turn on NFC (it turns on instantly when you turn it on, no waiting like wifi). It adds maybe 2-3 extra seconds to your wallet experience.

cgb77

May 17, 2011
Visit site
This isn't necessarily ideal, but making a sleeve for your card with aluminum foil will block the signal from the phone or you can buy premade sleeves for the card.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This isn't necessarily ideal, but making a sleeve for your card with aluminum foil will block the signal from the phone or you can buy premade sleeves for the card.

That might actually be a good idea to begin with if you have nfc credit cards. Protects you from people with laser beams and stops your phone from read the cards.

I actually started keeping my wallet in my front pocket now that I got a new one. A couple times sitting down I put my phone on my lap for a second and it reads the card. Actually almost dropped the phone and caught it between my hand and same leg and it read the cards. Lol.