Facebook Sync for contacts gone?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So i updated my nexus s to 2.3.7 rooted stock,
and after downloading the facebook app, i wanted to sync my contacts to my phone for the pictures and everything like normal.

well long behold that whole menu section for syncing your contacts is gone.

i even deleted the new facebook app, and used titanium backup to restore version 1.6.4, well the menu section "other settings" is there, but the whole menu itself is gone.

so what gives?

why is this option gone and how can i get it back?

i really look forward to the pictures and stuff being updated per my contacts.

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Because of not everyone having their Facebook number, and having to need a single person have two separate contact profiles. It was thus decided that it was not very well a good thing for Google to take time from their devs to perfect something that is not on their priority to fix, with absolutely not benefit whatsoever....***cough**Google+***end cough****

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Because of not everyone having their Facebook number, and having to need a single person have two separate contact profiles. It was thus decided that it was not very well a good thing for Google to take time from their devs to perfect something that is not on their priority to fix, with absolutely not benefit whatsoever....***cough**Google+***end cough****

when did this happen though?
because when i updated the app to 1.70 a week or two back the option was there...
doesnt facebook make the app?

i guess im just not getting it.

but others still have the option, is it just us nexus users?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh thats odd. The thing I was talking about happened on the first 2.3 build released

ill take some screen shots and show u what im saying
the menu part is not there at all,
its gone.

ill even uninstall and download fresh from market, login and its not there,

then ill try to go back to a old version from titanium and its gone as well.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
As you can see in the settings the menu is pulled down as far as it can go what gives?!
Am I the only one having this issue?

I'm on the new 2.3.7

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Google blocked Facebook contact sync many updates ago. This is not because of the recent update.

He's talking about this option at the bottom. Sync contacts.
snap20110925_095848.png

Last edited:

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this happened a while back.

You have two Options.

An App called Sync my Pix, if you are just looking for the photo sync (I figure that is what most people are looking for).

Or you could use the Facebook app that I use called "Friendcaster". I think it is a better app in general. I am not sure if the free version includes this sync, but I think it does.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know, and again I will repeat what I said. Google a couple of updates ago blocked the service, because of privacy concerns they had. You however can unblock it, when rooted.

I missed this feature when I first got onto the Nexus. After rooting and syncing Facebook I now hate this feature. Aside from having the profile pictures sync with your contacts it's rather annoying. For instance: When I go to type an email I start by typing someones name. NOW, that Facebook is synced I get 2 email addresses that appear. One being there "Public Fake" Facebook email. And the other the one they actually use. Secondly, when I tap on an "avatar" of a person in say GTalk: it comes up with 2 numbers for whom I've had one. Both numbers being the same just one is different format from Facebook.

So, with that said. I missed it and now despise it's annoyance. I even just deleted my Facebook app because it finally works but I guess it took a 30mb running background service to do so. Eating up all my ram. Turning on gps every time I launch the app to just go to what the mobile site is anyways. Garbage.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I miss it. I had a lot of information from facebook that I didn't have before. Anyway, I'll figure something out.
Like what? Still have your old phone? Fire it up on wifi and grab what you need.

Or just export your data from facebook into your gmail account.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well that explains why it was there last week and not now.

I was rooted running gpa.
Now I'm rooted but running stock 2.3.7.

So until I'm using a custom rom and not stock it won't come back?

I'll have to use one of the apps mentioned above instead?

Thanks