Nexus S'ers, What Do You Think of The ICS Video Leak?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
As a Nexus S user, who experiences pure android on a daily basis, what do you guys think of it?

I definitely think some stuff is ugly as hell, and other stuff looks pretty cool.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-supposedly-shown-short-video-could-it-be-real-deal

Are you ready for the new OS look? Is this the New OS look? Let's hear it guys.

Edit: Others are reporting this is a fake via a theme.

Edit: claims again it is real. http://androidandme.com/2011/09/new...rfaces-online-developers-confirm-authenticity

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
The only reason I think it could be fake is because of the release of Mango and the timing. As a Windows Phone user (ex Nexus S user looking for his lost/stolen Nexus) there is a lot of hype behind the potential of Windows Phone after Mango yesterday and it seems like maybe this video was leaked to perhaps steal some of the steam from yesterday's release.

I left Android for two main reasons:

1. Fragmentation
2. UI and hardware acceleration

I was hoping that ICS would fix number 2 (number 1 kinda gets taken care of having a Nexus), so things actually look good from the hardware acceleration standpoint. The guy didn't put it through a "stress test" but things looked smooth when it came to scrolling (even with the Live Wallpaper which uses GPU).

I hope I can find my Nexus (or maybe get a replacement one if I can somehow) in case my needs get met tho...

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it looks decent ...the aqua color is going to take some getting use to but the multitasking feature is going to look pretty sick on this phone

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the layout a lot. Seems like they are making some big changes. *Remember, this isn't everything that is coming. *Even if this is real, there will be so much more that is behind the scenes. *Being that my nexus will get the update really early, I'm even more excited

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Remember guys, this is most likely fake. And if it is real, its in no way finished.

Keep that in mind before you make real world decisions :p

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Remember guys, this is most likely fake. And if it is real, its in no way finished.

Keep that in mind before you make real world decisions :p

Just speaking our minds, thats all. I can't stand the blue, and I don't think that is going anywhere. I think it looks way to robotic and corny, does that make sense?

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If its the real deal I like it. I would love to build some themes off that os and its new trick features :)

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Others are reporting this is a fake via a theme.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

I've downloaded and used the honeycomb launcher, and it not only doesn't look like the one in the video, it doesn't function like it. For example, there is no pull down notification bar in the downloadable launcher. Also, the honeycomb launcher doesn't change the camera software, which is clearly new in this video. I think this is definitely an early build of ICS.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rickhamilton620

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If its the real deal I like it. I would love to build some themes off that os and its new trick features :)

12 months and all they could come up with was a spin (pun intended) off gingerbread? Its fake. If its not. When it comes out I'm selling my Nexus and buying and iPhone because I'm spiteful like that. Unless in the bsckgroud it does algorithms tbsg cure cancer and aids. Then ill keep it.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it's OK. I remember when people first saw the "leaked" gingerbread screenshots (that turned out to be real) they said it was ugly and was a step back from Froyo. (BTW, people said the same thing about the iPhone 4 that was left in the bar and look how much love it gets now.) Now most people say they like the look of GB. I just don't think you can get a really good visual of what it actually looks like from some low quality "leaked" screenshots & videos. Wait until they officially release it. I don't think Google would release something that's an obvious step back from GB looks-wise. I just hope we'll be able to change the areas that have the aqua color to different colors.

Sent from my BLACKSOURC3 using Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Possibly unfinished or an older version, but I don't believe it's a fake. Here's why;

1) They showed a lot of features in that video and it would have been pretty hard to theme it all. This doesn't look like any theme I have seen.
2) To me, it looks like what we've pretty much been told ICS would look like, aqua colored honeycomb for a phone.
3) Supposedly the guy that posted the video was on XDA, trying to get some help but Google wiped the phone in the process. Based on some statements reported here, at least some of the XDA developers believe it was the real deal.
4) If Google did wipe the phone, that pretty much clinches it for me.
5) It's on Android Central's front page. For me that's always a good indicator on if I should bother getting excited about something Android. If this video didn't get picked up by AC, I would have a completely different opinion. Phil and crew get rumors all the time, stuff they never publish. I think they are in a better position to gauge the potential likelihood of something being a fake than most of us are. Android Central, unlike many other Android sites, cares more about the quality of the news they break instead of the quantity. That's what makes them an Android News site and not just some blog. So props to them for all the rumors they don't publish.

anyway, my two cents. If this is a fake, and that's still possible, it's a damn good one.

EDIT: And yes, I think it looks very cool and I'm very sad the guy didn't go to XDA first to get some quiet help with a system dump before posting the video. I'm sure we'll see a leak/release soon though.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I watched and know from first hand ROM dev and theme development that I've been a part of if it is a fake there is a whole lot of work put into creating it. To me that seems like a lot of work to go threw to just play with peoples heads. There is much that can be faked in that video but at the same time there is also some major coding going on in there to create many of those effects and knowing what you have to go threw to create that stuff and get it looking and running that crisp just doesn't add up to fake. I think we could go with the idea of it being an older version or some beta work there...

Maybe I'm wrong but like I said I know what is involved and I couldn't see wasting my time involved to do all that was done.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma