How long until we get ICS after it's revealed?

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Seeing how long the original Nexus took to get Gingerbread, I wouldn't expect us to get it for a few months after the Prime is released.

My hope is that that delay had something to do with the N1 being an HTC device, where Gingerbread was launched on a fairly different piece of hardware from Samsung. This time, since ICS is launching on another Samsung device, could be easier/quicker to get it onto the Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My hope is that that delay had something to do with the N1 being an HTC device, where Gingerbread was launched on a fairly different piece of hardware from Samsung. This time, since ICS is launching on another Samsung device, could be easier/quicker to get it onto the Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Could be possible. But more likely it's the marketing scenario. People who bought the Nexus S not knowing if it's going to get the update. People who want ICS so bad and can't wait for there Nexus S to get it. lol. People new to android wanting the latest and greatest phone. Have a choice between the Nexus S and Nexus Prime which look identical. Sprint rep tells them well t his one (at twice the price) is running the latest android. "I'll take it".

Instead of well they are both the same but this one has dual core. "Huh, what's that?"

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The wait would be two weeks because lets face it they are trying to compete with the new ios 5 and the media hype of siri...even though android been have it for a while now. The samsung delay of the prime is a huge blow i feel because its back to the drawing board in incorporating more things to make it beat the iphone down even more

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The wait would be two weeks because lets face it they are trying to compete with the new ios 5 and the media hype of siri...even though android been have it for a while now. The samsung delay of the prime is a huge blow i feel because its back to the drawing board in incorporating more things to make it beat the iphone down even more

I doubt that. The details of iOS5 have been out for a while, and SIRI? Android has had excellent voice recognition since its inception.

Samsung and Google delayed the release out of respect for the death of Steve Jobs. Nothing more.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that. The details of iOS5 have been out for a while, and SIRI? Android has had excellent voice recognition since its inception.

Samsung and Google delayed the release out of respect for the death of Steve Jobs. Nothing more.

As much as it's nice to see respect: I don't think Jobs himself would have done the same. It's almost as if he held on just long enough to die a day later to say F you to everyone one last time.

"You don't like our phone; you wanted a 5 and not a new 4; you wanted ICS and the new Nexus? Well, now you can wait! And see what happens when I'm gone".

As much as I hated Jobs: Without Jobs there's no arrogant front man to hate anymore. Without hate there is no competition.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
My guess would be Nexus Prime is out for 1-2 months before Nexus S gets ICS. I hope it doesn't take that long, but I think they'll want to help sales of Nexus Prime.

dawgbookman

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
everyone has been talking about the nexus phones, i have a samsung facinate, had it just at a year...purchased shortly after it's release, any idea when/if ics is coming to the facinate?

vnv01

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Could be possible. But more likely it's the marketing scenario. People who bought the Nexus S not knowing if it's going to get the update. People who want ICS so bad and can't wait for there Nexus S to get it. lol. People new to android wanting the latest and greatest phone. Have a choice between the Nexus S and Nexus Prime which look identical. Sprint rep tells them well t his one (at twice the price) is running the latest android. "I'll take it".

Instead of well they are both the same but this one has dual core. "Huh, what's that?"

Nobody walks into a cell phone store looking at software. I think your scenario is fact- backwards.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Nobody walks into a cell phone store looking at software. I think your scenario is fact- backwards.

Agreed. And it ignores many other differences: Nexus Prime shoots 1080p, has a bigger screen, HD screen resolution, is thinner, faster processor as well as dual core, no crappy capacitive buttons, no slip back, more powerful battery and LTE.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
We will probably get a watered down version of 4.0.........after the reveal of the specs for the Nexus, I cant see how everything will function equally amongst all of these different devices that could potentially receive an update.

BTW, some of the specs on the Galaxy look real nice, however......a 5MP camera seems underwhelming compared to everything else under the hood

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Watered down? No. Obviously it won't be dual-core capable, but it'll still have GPU acceleration and all the other functionality (save for 1080p video).

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
We will probably get a watered down version of 4.0.........after the reveal of the specs for the Nexus, I cant see how everything will function equally amongst all of these different devices that could potentially receive an update.

BTW, some of the specs on the Galaxy look real nice, however......a 5MP camera seems underwhelming compared to everything else under the hood

I don't think it will be watered down at all. Judging from the videos, there really isn't anything that couldn't be done on the Nexus S. Android 4.0 is a UI overhaul, and the new gestures certainly don't require dual core. The one thing that may be up in the air is whether or not it will be as smooth as shown today, and that we won't know until we have it in our hands.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Just cuz they said that doesn't make it true or false. I just read, on TIMN, that they delayed it for his death and to alter features that were involved in the patent dispute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12